The Astronaut's Wife - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Astronaut's Wife Reviews

August 20, 2016
So awesome I am going to watch it again tonight... And it's 2016!
January 2, 2016
ending w/??? but thought it was pretty good
½ October 20, 2015
An interesting sort of modernized version of Rosemary's Baby... Creepy. But the seduction scene made me wonder if the director was really going for a sci-fi thriller, or if he'd written and directed for the excuse to shoot a soft-core scene with Charlize Theron and Johnnie Depp. As usual, not necessary for the film. Recently watched another movie with a body-snatched spouse, but this was a little more believable considering how PTSD does alter the personality of a person and that the astronaut retained some semblance of liveliness. Also, although Charlize struggles to terminate the life within herself, as we live in a world amidst a battle for the mind and soul, any woman considering such a thing who's seen the movie will be reminded of the callousness of the wealthy wife who made little of the decision. Add that to the justifiable anguish Charlize portrayed and yet would not stop her from her plan, and you have the very attack that would play through the mind of women considering such an action; "I'm sorry, but you'll understand..." directed to the life within her. What the moment fails to drive home is, unlike in a real-life scenario, a woman considering such a choice in anguish is not doing so because in her womb is some sort of alien monstrosity who surely threatens the existence of mankind... This movie was done quite well and had some horrifying, alien suspense, but it just slightly missed the mark for 4-star status, and thus the list of movies suitable for viewing again (mostly due to the unnecessariness in the sex scene).
September 10, 2015
I'm not sure why I didn't catch this the first time I watched it, but this film is really just "Rosemary's Baby" with a sci-fi twist. I hadn't seen this film since it was first released on video and it's one that was always memorable to me, but it's also one that I wasn't all that impressed with either. The film features a handsome cast with Johnny Depp as an astronaut who returns from space just a bit off and different and Charlize Theron plays the titular wife. Theron soon becomes pregnant and then begins suspecting her husband is not really himself anymore. That's really the same story as "Rosemary's Baby" where Mia Farrow became pregnant and starts to suspect that her husband in in league with a coven of witches. What that film did so well si that it focuses on whether Rosemary was going crazy or if it was really happening to her. This film instead focuses more on unravelling the mystery of what happened to her husband in space,w which is not nearly as interesting of a story. However, as I said earlier, this film is one that did always kind of stick in my memory because of a strong performance by Theron, an uncharacteristic performance for Depp (playing a cocky blond haired, southern good ol' boy Top Gun type of character), directions that had a visual style that was stylish but not Michael Bay-distracting, an excellent score by George S. Clinton (which I actually own after my first viewing and I had to get out again after rewatching it) and also a memorably filmed final death scene. Underused actor Joe Morton also gives a strong supporting role and I also remember getting a kick out of seeing Clea DuVall playing an attractive character as Theron's younger sister instead of her usually dark and dowdy characters. You also get Nick Cassavetes, Samantha Eggar, Blair Brown and the great Tom Noonan in small roles. While I think the script lets down all these other fine points, I'd still be very interested to see writer/director Rand Ravich get behind the camera again because I really do think he had a very distinct and sensual approach to his direction. He may have been greatly helped by ace photographer Allen Daviau, but it's hard to say since this was Ravich's sole putting as a director. Overall, this is a flawed and derivative story, but it does have some elements that make it very much worth watching.
½ June 9, 2015
You'll cash out on this movie well before the end.
April 6, 2015
Properly freaky science-fiction thriller with Johnny Depp giving a good performance. The film's claustrophobic atmosphere is the highlight.
February 26, 2015
Interesting idea - not as developed or revealed as I like!
January 9, 2015
Two great actors, Bad Plot and awful director! ..enough said ..
December 16, 2014
Not recommended.
Bumbling film in its ambition, trying to bring out something for which it has no capacity.

The flaw in this work resides in the desire to mix the "Rosemary's Baby" of Polanski with "Invasion of body snatchers" with a touch of Kubrickian style.
It's a large salad of various "styles and genres" that causes the viewer a feeling of discomfort ... but very funny.

To make matters worse, Johnny Depp and Charlize Theron are overacting.
Their interpretations are worthy of Razzies.
November 22, 2014
Is it just me or is this whole dumb movie blue.
½ November 3, 2014
Je n'ai pas vraiment aimer la réalisation d'abord et que dire de la finale frustrante... Non, desole.
½ September 22, 2014
Not one of Depps better films as throughout The Astronaut's Wife he seems to be overacting. The film plays more like a drive-in monster flick from the 60s minus the laughable monster costumes rather than an expensive feature Film from the 90s.
April 20, 2014
Waste of a good cast.
January 15, 2014
A weird johnny Depp flick with a beautiful Charlyze Theron in it. The story is kinda dodgy here but the film is quite suspenseful but it lacks a better scrip & some much more inventive ideas for the scenario. Could have been much better.
½ January 7, 2014
An easy space flight (if there's ever such a thing, at least as of yet) has an unexplained 2 minute glitch that eventually leads to some curious, ominous questions, both for the astronauts involved and for their wives anxiously awaiting them back at home. Charlize Theron does pretty damn good carrying this Rosemary's Baby, Space Alien edition as she, like Mia Farrow in the original, begins to suspect that something might possibly be rotten in the state of Denmark. Depp adds a little Memphis Elvis spice to the John Cassavetes/caring husband role, while Joe Morton ably handles the thankless job of Cassandra, the prophet no one believes.
What's wrong? A slow opening. A too quick payoff at the climatic mano y mano, and not enough dread to carry us through the middle. The coda at the end feels tacked on and unnecessary.
On the other hand ... I loves me some Charlize Theron.
December 29, 2013
Nan (Clea DuVall): Men are like parking spaces: all the good ones are taken, and the available ones are handicapped.

Ahh...back in the days when Johnny Depp was so trs hawt that he can do no wrong and Charlize was an equally attractive but talented gem of an actress that she seemed to only do Oscar winning performances. But alas, not everything can be "War & Peace" unfortunately. This was strange at best, a bit of a "Ninth Gate" quirkiness to it as well but without much of the suspense of "The Ninth Gate", just some non-humorous, oddball film. The acting was alright from both lead actors but was not stellar (no pun intended) and the story could have been executed a little better, maybe add a dash of genuinely scary parts or something; something that would bring a lively jolt to an otherwise fairly unimpressive and boring film. Overall, this film underutilized two very talented actors, under-developed possibly interesting characters and a potentially exciting plot.
½ December 23, 2013
A creepy, slow burning psycho-horror that keeps you squirming until the final reel. It's uneven and a little too long but the premise and cast are excellent.
½ November 23, 2013
Not even sure what genre that was meant to be. Not even JD could make me enjoy that.
½ November 18, 2013
The Astronaut's Wife (Rand Ravich, 1999)
[originally posted 19Jun2000]

You know it's a bad rental night when the highest hopes you have for a movie are of something that looked so utterly silly in the previews that you had no desire to see it in the theaters. Unfortunately, I got roped into this... and aside from the, uh, "climax" , it wasn't really all that bad a movie, aside from Charlize Theron's "as ugly as I wanna be" hairdo.

Johnny Depp and (how far the mighty have fallen!) Nick Cassavettes are two astronauts who go into space to make some minor repairs to a satellite, and are out of contact with Earth for two minutes while they're on the other side of the shuttle. As a premise, this is kind of boring; I didn't realize this wasn't a common occurrence on shuttle missions. But, of course, something nasty happens, and the two come back to earth in comas. Pretty soon Cassavettes and his wife (engagingly played by Donna Murphy), the best of couples, are having marital problems, and Depp and his wife (Theron) are close behind. Feel free to draw all conclusions you need to-and you're right. I don't need to spoil it, you can do it yourselves well enough, I've no doubt.

The good stuff here, aside from a decent performance by Depp, is in the minor roles. Samatha Eggar pops up as Theron's ob-gyn (and those of you familiar with Eggar's most famous role will know why the irony of this was so delicious), and Clea DuVall, as Theron's wisecracking sister, absolutely saved the first half of this movie (note for Joy Fielding fans: DuVall is listed in the cast of the upcoming See Jane Run).

Unfortunately, these things aren't enough to hold it all together, and as the plot slowly disintegrates (and this is another case of "great premise, bad execution") the whole thing becomes laughable; by the time we get around to seeing the bad guy, we don't care how stupid he is. He can't be any worse than the situation he's been placed in. * 1/2 solely for Eggar and DuVall.
August 1, 2013
The Astronaut's Wife had the feel of an indie flick, yet the backing of a hollywood blockbuster, which really surprises me. New Line took a big risk in hiring the inexperienced and offbeat Rand Ravich to direct a film with the star-power of Johnny Depp, Charlize Theron, and Joe Morton, but I believe it paid off. Johnny Depp is phenomenal as always and Charlze Theron had her moments, but what made this movie was the directing. Rand Ravich did an incredible job by taking the stylistic approach to a suspense film that desperately needed it. Bottom line, I found this film enticing and suspenseful, though most did not. I would recommend it to fans of art house-psychological thriller type films.