At Any Price - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

At Any Price Reviews

May 5, 2016
There's a lot of wasted potential in Bahrani's drama. With a substantially capable cast and a decent plot line, it's unfortunate At Any Price turned out slow and boring.
½ February 6, 2016
Review:
Personally, I found this movie pretty boring but the storyline wasn't to bad. Dennis Quaid plays Henry Whipple, who wants his rebellious son, Dean (Zac Efron) to help expand the family business but Dean wants to become a professional racing car driver, which puts a strain on there relationship. Dean has a string of awards under his belt, for his racing skills but when he loses an important race, which is being watched by some potential investors, he goes into depression and his rebellious behaviour becomes worse. Meanwhile, his father's farm is under investigation because of some wrong doings with some seeds, so his son takes matters into his own hands, to find the culprit who hired the investigators. After an alteration with another farmers son, his father helps him to cover up what he has done, which brings them closer as a family. Dean then helps the business and brings in some important customers but his father finds it hard to live with the guilt. Its a touching story which has some emotional moments but I did find It a bit boring after a while. The acting is average from Efron and the rest of the cast but Quaid stands out from the rest. In all, it's an average movie which is watchable but not one that you can watch time and time again. Average!

Round-Up:
This is definitely one of those films that are made for TV, even with the popular Zac Efron in the cast. Its written and directed by Ramin Bahrani, 40, who brought you 99 Homes and a couple of short movies. The storyline isn't that entertaining, which might explain it's late release on DVD and the profit at the box office is pretty poor, so it didn't go down well with audiences. With that aside, I was quite surprised with the major turn in the movie, after the alteration in the field but apart from that, it's your everyday family drama which is basically what it says on the tin.

Budget: N/A
Worldwide Gross: $490,000

I recommend this movie to people who are into their drama/thrillers starring Zac Efron, Dennis Quad, Kim Dickens, Clancy Brown, Heather Graham, Maika Monroe and Chelcie Ross. 3/10
½ January 29, 2016
Sure a good movie i've seen here ...fine story-line and so , bud for a lazy Sunday , not to get a great Friday-night .
August 29, 2015
Likable enough. I happen to be a fan of Efron but Dennis Quaid movies are usually on the bust end. I enjoy movies that realistically tell of family strife. There is a bit of that in here. Most interesting is the copyrighted seed stuff. I'd long ago read that seed companies can be quite militant about protecting their products but I'd never really seen anything about it. Finally, in this movie, we have a character who tries to cheat one of those companies and what happens to someone who does that.

There are a few subplots in this, maybe. Maybe they're just part of the story. But I found it pretty watchable.
Harlequin68
August 17, 2015
Some people take their sons to a ballgame or fishing. Henry Whipple(Dennis Quaid), a farmer and seed salesman, takes his son Dean(Zac Efron) to a funeral. His intention is not to pay his respects so much as to buy the deceased's land for his other son who is currently touring Argentina and according to Henry should be back any time now. At first, it goes over as badly as you'd expect, until it turns out that the family does really want to sell. In any case, Dean does not care about being passed over, as he has other things on his mind.

Even though his budgets are increasing and he moves further geographically away from his filmmaking origins, director Ramin Bahrani cannot escape the fact that he might be repeating himself with his obsession with dreamers. In the case of "At Any Price," it involves Dean's dreams of big time auto racing which Bahrani tries to place in a sort of American pastoral. But with a minimal story, he does not display the requisite skill here or get the performances to fully realize it.(Like most movies, there is not enough Clancy Brown to go around.) And maybe genetically modified seeds are a real issue. I'll wait until John Oliver tackles the subject before deciding for sure.
½ August 2, 2015
Zac Efron and Dennis Quaid are good actors. Really. So, by watching this movie you may think otherwise. I really blame the writing. This movie that spans the generations show us how fathers really know how to mess up their kids? apparently. There is a build up throughout the first 2 acts and by the time you get to the 3rd act it doesn't matter anymore because it feels as if the time has passed. Efron's character seems hollow and very unreasonable. Actually there is a whole mess of unreasonable anger and hate goin on. The message to take away from this movie is Farmers have it hard & don't resell your genetically created seeds.
July 27, 2015
Dull, cliched, and quite slow. No real stand out performances or really anything.

Skip this one.
April 25, 2015
I'm a big Dennis Quaid fan. He's certainly done a lot of movies. This is one of his finest performances. A movie that doesn't wrap things up in a nice and tidy package. Great cinematography!
½ April 23, 2015
wow... wow... wow... that was so painful to watch
½ March 11, 2015
Movie with potential. You just don't feel the father-son struggle that's necessary to pull it off.
March 7, 2015
I want watch the movie
January 26, 2015
Pleasantly surprised. Really good film.
January 11, 2015
Hard lessons of life how to keep on when it seems to be down the line
½ December 27, 2014
A middling film of the realities of farming mixed in with ridiculous plot lines and far too much Zac Efron than a serious film should commit to.
November 16, 2014
Inconsistent acting, interesting but awkward story. I'm not sure if the filmmaker and actors thought people in Iowa talk in a stilted deliberate way, and were trying to emulate that misconception, or if it was just bad acting. Seemed like east and west coasters trying to make a movie about Iowa. Why is everyone so skinny? It's another movie about Iowa in which the extras look more interesting and real than the movie stars playing the main characters.
½ November 8, 2014
An interesting story. Why does Dennis Quaid keep playing these weird parts?
September 28, 2014
it was ok I wish it ended differently
August 11, 2014
8/11/14 EncoreTV
Not my favorite Dennis Quaid movie. Lots of overacting and attempts to stereotype big ag and big sales types. Some insight into big ag but overall not a good movie.