Reviews

• Mar 02, 2015

At Land plays like a dream, where distractions become new tangents and goals become lost in a myriad of images.

• Sep 30, 2014

Waves in reverse look cool. Props as an fairly early "avant-garde" or "experimental" film. Playing with the tools is a good thing.

• Edgar C Super Reviewer
    Jun 04, 2013

Deren seems to be intrigued by the metaphysical possibility of self-contemplation from a third-person perspective. There are certain burdens not to be carried; these reckless trains of thoughts shall never substitute the fundamental missing piece. But once that piece is recovered, then what? Uncertainty among vastness once again? 94/100

• Aug 30, 2012

Maybe my favorite of hers. Great use of false continuity. It has an excellent flow to it, and the visuals are excellent.

• Apr 06, 2011

My favorite short film. Really shows how you can use editing to create an interesting world with no budget.

• Feb 06, 2011

Deren gives us a series of constantly fluctuating spaces in which the identity of the protagonist is the only constant, but even that is compromised when it's revealed that we may not have even been following one individual the whole time. Brilliant.

• Sep 26, 2010

I can't say that I fully understand this film, which is Maya Deren's third film, but it's better than her second film and it's definitely interesting to watch because of the original and strange direction.

• Jul 16, 2010

Maybe even more so than in Meshes of the Afternoon, Deren builds her own cinema of attractions from heady games with narrative circularity, time-space ellipsis and objective/subjective camera placement. Beautifully photographed, and visibly influential on everyone from Tim Burton to David Lynch.

• Feb 12, 2010

Maya Deren wakes up laying on a beach and follows a surreal, but relatively linear narrative that's more welcoming and less sinister than Meshes. It also seems to be more fragmented, as one setpiece leads to another and dissolves into another and into another, not unlike David Lynch's symbolic rabbit holes. And much like her best work, the way she plays around with all these visuals left me utterly transfixed.

• Nov 14, 2009

WEB. A pesar de un par de lapsos algo inertes, es un logrado ejercicio poético y vanguardistra. / Despite a couple of inert lapses, it's an accomplished poetic and avant garde exercise.