At Play in the Fields of the Lord - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

At Play in the Fields of the Lord Reviews

½ August 12, 2007
Not as effective a film as "The Mission" which covered the same themes but it is worth checking out if you have nothing else on the go.
May 20, 2007
4-1/2 stars, because it has been years since I've seen this. But this is an intense movie. I loved it.
December 27, 2010
This is exactly the Tom Berenger we saw in Platoon, extremely talented and promising. This man needs a resurrection like Mickey Rourke got one with The Wrestler. "At Play" would not be worth seeing if it wasn't for Berenger in it. A strong, theatrical performance he should have received a lot more credit for. Plus, Daryl Hannah at the top of her form (at least the physical one!).
April 17, 2008
While clearly intended to be a thought-provoking film about cultural conflict, power, progress, and the dire consequences of messianic thinking -- some books should simply remain books.
January 11, 2007
i watched it cuz i like tom waits. and tom bereneg was the best the movie was all about him. i saw it again and i was like whoa hes a good actor or elsehe just chose the perfect mvoie!
½ February 5, 2015
paradise parade,

This was an excellent film that explored varying western approaches and haphazard attempts to deal with pre-civilized tribes. It was fascinating watching self-possessed evangelical missionaries embark in an insane endeavour to convert natives only to go wildly insane themselves. This juxtaposed by one man's equally insane attempt to assimilate. The vivid splendour of the landscape and the film lures us into a dark nightmare. Beautifully shot. A naked Kathy Bates in a delirious jungle dance. Darryl Hannah in the buff. Stoic Catholic priests who gave up the cause long ago. Utopian primitivism. Excellent soundtrack. Tom Waits. 9.9/10.
January 5, 2014
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
November 16, 2013
Though lavishly mounted & well casted, 'Fields' is simply overlong and unfocused. By trying to have two main stories (a Native American who returns to his roots & a group of missionaries' endeavours to convert locals), the film never fully fleshes either out and brings the pacing down, as well as misuse its large runtime. A shame too, as the performances are all around good (special points to Berenger & Quinn), helped by the gorgeous jungle visuals and moving score.
April 30, 2012
Intense movie that dares to question the ethics and morals of mission work. The scenery is also beautiful.
December 2, 2011
Best film thanks i say so.
August 26, 2006
AT PLAY IN THE FIELDS OF THE LORD (1991)
May 31, 2011
Stunning film that critiques the destructive influence of modern culture on an idyllic and sequestered native tribe as it asserts its agendas of moral education, political administration and outright greed. The cinematography is breathtaking and stands as a rich topos for the film's competing narrative interests - representing at once the virgin innocence of the natives, the perceived moral decadence of uncivilized lands, and the potential wealth of a vast and untapped resource. Interactions between the characters reveal the underlying tensions well and serve to articulate the developing drama which ultimately destroys the fragile and beautiful community which has been the focus of everyone's ambitions. A sad, powerful story that stimulates introspection on the human condition.
March 29, 2011
This is a big, beautiful but uneven movie about a collision of cultures in the Amazon. Earnest but clueless missionaries try to convert the indigenous peoples to Christianity. Two soldiers of fortune are exhorted to wipe out the tribal natives, and one of them has a drug-induced epiphany convincing him that he should live among the very people he was supposed to exterminate. Instead of slapping you in the face with its message, it lets you decide if even the best intentions should be carried out. It's a powerful story with a powerful message about man deciding what God desires.
May 20, 2007
February 27, 2011
One of my favorite movies EVER!!!
February 10, 2011
I love these kinds of movies. Great stuff
December 27, 2010
September 4, 2007
Good film, but soooo long.
July 26, 2009
Awesome, One of my top 5 movies.