At the Earth's Core - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

At the Earth's Core Reviews

½ August 4, 2015
based on a novel by Edgar Rice Burroughs
½ May 10, 2015
good kinda sequel to 1975's 'the land time forgot"
February 25, 2015
The first five minutes are brilliant...then it's best to switch it off and imagine what happens next.
½ August 29, 2014
Here's David and Ms. Lovely Lady

A scientist set in classic times and his friend try out a new drilling machine the scientist created. The machine drills into the Earth's core and they find a strange civilization with creatures they have never seen. The friend falls in love with a tribal girl they encounter and she helps them survive the rugged terrain. How will the scientist, friend, and Lovely Lady survive their journey inside Earth?

"I'm at the controls and you must keep a clear head too!"

Kevin Connor, director of The Land that Time Forgot (1975), Motel Hell, Frankenstein (2004), Strawberry Summer, Chasing Leprechauns, Sweet Surrender, and The Thanksgiving House, delivers At the Earth's Core. The storyline for this picture is very average with an obvious Journey to the Center of the Earth feel. The acting may be better than you anticipate and the cast includes Peter Cushing, Doug McClure, Caroline Munro, and Bobby Parr.

"After what we've seen they've got to be destroyed."

I grabbed this off Netflix when I discovered it starred Peter Cushing (one of my favorites from the horror genre). Overall, this is a pretty average movie with some cool science fiction elements. This is far from as good as the Harryhausen classics, but this is still fun to watch the different creatures. This is worth seeing once but far from a classic.

"This is my fight."

Grade: C
July 6, 2014
A low budget film full of fun
½ February 24, 2014
This is brilliant Sunday afternoon TV when nothing else is on. A cross between the Land that Time Forgot and Journey to the Centre of the Earth its full of 70s afro cuts, the worst special effects and a barrel load of prehistoric nonsense. I haven't laughed so much since Nazis at the Centre of the Earth. Truly appalling and a must see.
January 26, 2014
It's slow and silly, and doesn't have much of a plot, but it is fun. The monsters are cheesy, the sci-fi is great, and the cast is good. The story is a bit loose and confusing, and nothing really gets explained. Overall, it's a entertaining campy monster movie.
January 2, 2014
This is the type of film I loved watching as a kid on Sarurday. Adventure, action and loads of rubber monsters. From the Edgar Rice Burroughs novel, Doug McClure and Peter Cushing drill beneath the earth's crust to to discover a kingdom rules by winged, rubber suited monsters. A film clearly aimed at children, taken on that level it's reasonably entertaining.
½ December 28, 2013
when two adventurers test a mining device, it goes off course and they discover a whole new world.

This is one of those movies that a certain generation of people have grown up with and loved, but when you watch it now it really isn't as good as you remember. The story is your classic adventure complete with heroes, villains, monsters and love interest and even though it doesn't make sense at certain points, it moves along very well. The acting is as cheesy as you would imagine, with Peter Cushing and Doug McClure chewing the scenery at every given moment, and there is always the added bonus of Caroline Munro wearing animal skins. The special effects are spectacularly bad, with some amazing 'men in rubber suits' monsters and liberal usage of poor blue screening - but in an odd way it just adds to the overall tone. All in all, this is not really a good movie, but if you are of a certain age, it will always have a special place on your heart.
June 16, 2013
Before Luke Skywalker, there was Doug McClure--Sure, it's cheap but it's FUN!!
June 1, 2013
Made by Amicus Productions and often confused with Hammer Horror films. Easy to see why seeing as both companies used the same legendary stars, they both made various horror films although Hammer was more traditional mythical fables, and of course all the films shared very familiar visual styles.

This British classic really does look every bit like a Hammer horror. The start of the film shows Cushing and McClure in their dapper Victorian suits, sitting within their huge drilling machine which is decked out like 'Sherlock Holmes' study, you half expect Chris Lee to flutter in through a port hole (I do love that drilling machine model though).

All American star Doug McClure plays the slightly brash yet tough heroic half of the lead duo, while the eminent distinguished Peter Cushing gives up his usual sinister roles for the fumbling yet likeable good doctor. Together the pair work well off each other and do give an early blockbuster-like chemistry that you see in most modern day flicks. Of course its all very quaint, charming and hammy, tongue planted firmly in cheek...and that's just Cushing's adorable little performance.

The film kicks off with a blast as the duo commence drilling deep into the earth, it all feels very much like 'The Time Machine'. No sooner have we got through the silliness of actually getting to the Earth's core the pair are attacked by huge rubber monsters much akin to 'Godzilla's' well known 'men in suits' style. Yes it all looks incredibly tacky and pantomime-ish but remember in its day this was equivalent to a Michael Bay flick.

The general appearance of the Earth's core is pretty much your standard 'The Land That Time Forgot' type fantasy jungle with huge plants, vines, trees, primitive humanoids, sexy scantily clad females and various man eating beasties all shrouded in an eerie pink glow. It may all look terribly plastic and fake but again remember this was way before CGI so everything is real, which is pleasing to the eye, well if you ignore the horrendous blue screen live action/creature sequences.

The plot makes no real sense frankly, its all very stupid and revolves around some big rubber prehistoric eagle looking creatures that rule this interior world by controlling little 'Jawa' type humanoids with telepathy. They enslave other regular looking humans (all black folk with daft wigs it seems, apart from the sexy women) that live in a nearby village for some reason (some kind of mining or something), and...errr I don't really know. Not sure why these creatures do this, why the little 'Jawa' men obey them, why they like to sacrifice sexy big breasted women (do they eat them? is that what happened there??), why/how the big bird-like creatures are so telepathically powerful etc...so many plot holes you give up.

You must look past the crappy plot and its massive inconsistencies, its all about the big cool rubber monsters running amok (could of done with more), Cushing's unbelievably corny stereotypically polite British gentlemanly performance, McClure's ruffled hair and of course Caroline Munro's tanned body.

The story starts off really well but does lack severely throughout the middle as the plot goes down the toilet. You're not sure what's going on, why and if there's any point to any of it, end of the day all you know is the goodies have got to kill those big prehistoric bird things...for some reason. McClure looks buff, Cushing looked so damn thin and fragile it worried me, whilst Munro was clearly made up to try and copy the success of Raquel Welch's famous fantasy character.

Anyone notice that the screeching sound effects used for the big prehistoric bird things was reused in 'Krull' for 'Slayers', when they got killed.
April 25, 2013
I always liked Peter Cushing but never thought he could be such a terrible actor. This whole movie, in general, is one big let down, but what the heck, it's funny and it'll bring back childhood memories. I loved how terribly ridiculous it was, the giant parrot lords (Mahars), and the very clean and English speaking Wing People... what if the Innes and Dr. Perry had been Scmidt and Dr. Von Braun from Germany, would the Wing People speak German then? oh, well...
Caroline Munro is true eye-candy.
½ December 22, 2012
The Cush and Doug McClure travel to the core in a drill and stumble upon Caroline Munro's heaving bosom.
½ November 29, 2012
77%

"Sir, we've been on top of the Earth long enough, it's time we find out what's underneath"-David Innes (Doug McClure)

Throwback camp of the highest order.

"Your act of civilary, wasn't very popular."-Dr. Abner Perry(Petre Chushing)
½ August 2, 2012
The second of Burroughs novels brought to screen by the British as only they can. Well any movie with Caroline Munro in a fur dress has its high points but it pretty much ends there. The flying dinosaurs and creatures do not flap their wings which is funny in itself. Lacks the story and setting from the book and is not as well done as The Land the Time Forgot.
June 2, 2012
Not the greatest film. Peter Cushing (Dr. Abner Perry) annoyed me in this film. Probably a reason why I didn't enjoy it like I should have.
½ April 26, 2012
At the Earth's Core represents the epitome of 70s adventure flicks. It's got Doug McClure as the leading man, Peter Cushing as a fun and wacky scientist, Caroline Munro ( :D ), and an absolutely beautiful and unique lost world setting. The creature effects are decent, and the miniatures are breathtaking! Don't miss it!
April 17, 2012
Obviously campy in nature, this movie was hilarious. I actually saw it at the infamous "Tiffin" theater here in Chicago back in the 70's. the audience roared and screamed all through the show. wow what fun we had. Hey Believe it or not, a lot of work went into the set design and how can you go wrong with the marvelous Peter Cushing. 4 stars for being an awesome childhood memory :)
½ March 20, 2012
Truth be told, I was goofing off online while this was on, so I didn't really see it. Looked fun, though. Rubber monsters, fakey sets, Doug McClure.
February 26, 2012
This one has it all! Peter Cushing as an umbrella carrying english professor who builds a massive iron drill that burrows into the earth. Doug McClure plays the spunky American David who disses the girl and then wins her back. All the time they battle men in monster suits and slave driving Ugnaught looking creatures that spoke in keyboard feedback. Plus hot lava and Caroline Munro in a very skimpy outfit! The plot involves a lot of walking. First our heroes are captured and marched to the underground city where these telepathic flying dinosaurs make mincemeat out of maiden fairs. Then there is a lot of tunnel walking back and forth as David escapes, reenters, escapes and then attacks and then escapes in those same tunnels. The fighting is all protective of the latex makeup and prosthetic masks. And the music is a hold over from the Quartermass era of British science fiction. Personally, I loved it. Especially the giant lizard that David has to stab in the ear to kill. That thing was awesome!