Atanarjuat: The Fast Runner (Atanarjuat) Reviews

• Feb 04, 2016

Acting? Who's acting? We have gone back 1,000 years with a time machine and had the unique privilege to "chill" (intentional pun) with the medieval Inuit. The genuineness of this production feels real. This could never be done in Hollywood. I wonder how Steven Spielberg would react to watching this film, as it is the antithesis of his being. I suspect he could give the producers and directors many valuable production tips and filming techniques that could have provided a better end product. However, this may have come at a cost of the film's bare authenticity. I also believe Spielberg would smile while watching this film and would actually influence him, if that could even be possible at this stage of his career. The closest attempt for the big studios to depict genuine early civilization was Quest For Fire, despite plotlines that are separated by tens of thousands of years. However, even Quest For Fire felt somewhat Hollywood-ish. A unique, low budget, historical Canadian film set in what is today the territory of Nunavat. This must be the greatest Canadian Aboriginal film of all time. It is the 1st film ever to be written, acted and directed by Inuit. It is also spoken in the Inuit language, and has subtitles. It portrays a old Inuit story passed down through the centuries. The fascinating part of this film is that this is a very realistic portrayal of how a group of Inuit families lived 1,000 years ago. The depiction is honest and historically accurate. The desolation of their environment is as equally fascinating. As a Canadian, this film is especially interesting to me because it represents a historical snapshot of a period and place that has been portrayed rarely, if ever. The film could not have been made if it wasn't for the financial assistance of the governments, as it is not a typical commercial venture that relies on the studio and marketing machine of Hollywood, Bollywood and similar production networks. This may be difficult for most audiences to watch, due to the low budget camera work alone. It is long. The acting is honest. This doesn't feel like watching a film at all. It seems as though the viewer is simply an observer to general everyday going ons in the Arctic with the Inuit 1,000 years ago. It could have been 10 hours long and felt the same way. The film will help educate foreigners on how integral the seal hunt was to early Inuit for survival and why it is embedded into our Canadian culture, notwithstanding its necessity today. It makes you wonder and respect how incredible it is that the early Inuit could live in such a cold and desolate environment. .

• Aug 18, 2014

Interesting and compelling little Canadian movie about the Inuit at the turn of the millennium. Has all the elements ... love, betrayal and revenge. Great cinematography, solid storytelling. And, my heavens, how difficult conditions must have been in the frigid north for the Inuit.

• Jun 01, 2014

This movie definitely won't be for everyone, but if you really like original films. This is one of a kind. Nothing even comes to mind as being remotely similar. It's just so raw and beautiful and authentic. Definitely on my list of films to buy on DVD now.

• May 10, 2014

This is a movie that a lot of people probably havent heard of that's worth checking out.

• Apr 28, 2014

It felt like I was a fly on the igloo walls watching the every day life, traditions and mythology of an ancient inuit tribe!

• Apr 04, 2014

Here's something that I can already tell you right now. If you have missed out on watching this film, then you can't possibly miss an opportunity to watch this masterpiece for your first time. Full review at filmbroadcaster.weebly.com

• Jan 12, 2014

Excellent movie, You would want to see it again and again.

Excellent movie, You would want to see it again and again.

• Feb 11, 2013

A demanding but original and timeless story steeped in the world-view of its makers. Excellent.

• Nov 27, 2012

(*** 1/2): [img]http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/user/icons/icon14.gif[/img] Interesting.

• Sep 06, 2012

A fantastic Canadian film with excellent technical work and a story, albeit stretched, that is compelling and intense. It is a patient film with slow pacing but amazing cultural values.