Athena - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Athena Reviews

jjnxn
March 29, 2012
Middling musical filled with pretty people. Purdom was never the greatest actor but was an extremely handsome man. Jane and Debbie are bubbly and fresh as sisters. The best performance comes from the terrific Louis Calhern as the somewhat daffy grandfather. Interesting to compare Evelyn Varden's spacy Grandma here and her portrayal of the vicious Icey Spoon in the next year's Night of the Hunter. Probably the only movie, musical or otherwise that stops cold to have a Mr. Universe contest stuffed into it. Pleasant but minor.
March 29, 2012
another mgm musical-nt my cup-o-tea
August 29, 2011
The characters here are supposed to be eccentric health nuts, but they get pitched to such extremes that they seem more like a forceful cult - I wouldn't have been surprised if they stopped singing and started stabbing.
July 16, 2008
Jane Powell, Debbie Reynolds, and Vic Damone togther again. All's right with the world. I've heard some songs from this movie and I can imagine that I will enjoy it.
½ March 24, 2008
This movie had potential, but fell through the cracks. To bad.
½ September 23, 2007
It's quite strange but rather interesting. And the singing is great, of course.
August 17, 2007
Ever wondered what teen movies were like before teens existed as we know it? They were cute, fluffy and squeaky-clean confections like this slice of kitsch exotica. It's a musical comedy about a starchy lawyer, Adam, who becomes romantically involved with a girl from a family of, well, proto-hippies really. This is one of the very first films to look at alternative lifestyles - Athena's family are all exercise buffs and eat health food and are totally vegetarian, so it's an early look at what was a novel fad, nowadays everyone is at it. To give the film its due, it doesn't poke fun at Athena's values or her family - Adam's high society friends are all very rude and derisory to Athena, but she manages to convert (actually, impose would not be too strong a word!) her lifestyle upon Adam and liberate him somewhat. Adam's playboy friend and client, Johnny, gets in on the act by pairing up with Debbie Reynolds, here in her first incarnation as a perky young comic actress and versatile singer/dancer and not the camp persona of latterday. 'Athena' gets bonus points for featuring a musical number about Venice complete with masks and gondoliers, and a guest appearance by Mr. Universe Steve Reeves. It's so unhip it's cool.
July 9, 2007
Debbie Reynolds is once again adorable, Jane Powell has a great voice, and adding Vic Damone was a great idea. A very under rated musical from MGM but I love it!!
June 13, 2007
It was strange, but a cute romance..
June 10, 2007
CRAZY movie. Hilarious.
½ February 6, 2007
Being a big fan of the musical genre, and a huge fan of Debbie Reynolds, I have to honestly say I was disappointed in this one. Jane Powell was also in one of my all time favourites "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" so of course my expectations for Athena were through the roof. Unfortunately it's a very unmemorable film. The music and songs aren't that great and there's not really one you can truly sing along with. The talent of the leading female singers is completely wasted. Having said that it's not the worst musical I've seen, I just wouldn't recommend this one to any but the most die-hard fans of the genre, and then only if they didn't have anything else to watch.