The top Atonement quotes selected by the Rotten Tomatoes community. Login to submit a quote!
- Robbie Turner: You'd be forgiven for thinking me mad - wandering into your house barefoot, or snapping your antique vase. The truth is, I feel rather light-headed and foolish in your presence, Cee, and I don't think I can blame the heat. Will you forgive me? Robbie.‐ Submitted by Ahmed A (3 years ago)
- Briony Taliis aged 13: Yes, I saw him. I saw him with my own eyes.‐ Submitted by Rose B (4 years ago)
- Robbie Turner: [to Briony] I'm torn between breaking your neck and throwing you down the stairs.‐ Submitted by Augusta M (4 years ago)
- Tommy Nettle: Cheerio, pal.
- Older Briony: So, my sister and Robbie were never able to have the time together they both so longed for... and deserved. Which ever since I've... ever since I've always felt I prevented. But what sense of hope or satisfaction could a reader derive from an ending like that? So in the book, I wanted to give Robbie and Cecilia what they lost out on in life. I'd like to think this isn't weakness or... evasion... but a final act of kindness. I gave them their happiness.
- Cecilia Tallis: [crying] I don't know how I could've been so ignorant about myself... so... so stupid. And you know what I'm talking about, don't you? You knew before I did.Robbie Turner: Why're you crying?Cecilia Tallis: Don't you know?Robbie Turner: Yes, I know exactly. [kisses her]
- Robbie Turner: [voiceover] Dearest Cecilia, the story can resume. The one I had been planning on that evening walk. I can become again the man who once crossed the surrey park at dusk, in my best suit, swaggering on the promise of life. The man who, with the clarity of passion, made love to you in the library. The story can resume. I will return. Find you, love you, marry you and live without shame.
- Briony Taliis aged 13: Yes. I saw him.‐ Submitted by Sean W (4 years ago)
- Tommy Nettle: Never trust a sailor on dry land.‐ Submitted by Chris P (5 years ago)
- Leon Tallis: What do you say, Cee? Does the hot weather make you behave badly? Good heavens, you're blushing.‐ Submitted by Chris P (5 years ago)