L'Auberge Espagnole Reviews

• Dec 15, 2019

This movie is responsible for moving a whole generation of europeans towards studying abroad in an exchange semester! At one point, every exchange student knew about that movie around 2005.

• Aug 14, 2019

Witty and enjoyable.

Witty and enjoyable.

• Apr 23, 2019

The Spanish Apartment is the kind of coming-of-age drama that doesn’t have much appeal for me. It centers on an aimless guy who decides to go to Spain for some further education in order to start a career in business. His misadventures eventually lead him to an apartment being shared by a number of tenants of varying personalities and nationalities. This is the highlight of the film, when we get to see the awkward and goofy interactions of all these characters. I liked some of the conversations they had, and how they managed to all find a way to live together. My big problem with the film is that the main character was the least likable person in the film. His behavior is despicable, hypocritical, and all-around unpleasant. They also telegraphed very early in the film what he would end up doing at the end, so it felt like a frustrating slog waiting for him to catch up with what we all knew was coming. I still had some laughs and enjoyment from The Spanish Apartment because there were so many odd characters, and they had some funny scenes together, but I would have enjoyed it much more if it was told from any other character’s perspective.

• Jan 14, 2019

After having seen this movie, I applied for Erasmus

After having seen this movie, I applied for Erasmus

• Sep 30, 2017

Not half as clever as it aims to be, nonetheless a fun celebration of youth, growing up and the European ideal

• Mar 30, 2017

Quite funny to watch a young French learning Spanish in Barcelona.

Quite funny to watch a young French learning Spanish in Barcelona.

• Apr 10, 2016

Malgré un personnage principal quelque peu agaçant car geignard et assez cliché (pas aidé par l'interprétation agaçante de Romain Duris), L'Auberge Espagnole est un coming-of-age movie qui marche plutôt bien grâce aux personnages secondaires, justement, qui sont vraiment bien troussés et qui, eux, évitent les clichés. Kevin Bishop est particulièrement drôle dans un rôle qui aurait pu être un simple comic relief mais qui se trouve être un peu plus intéressant. Juste à la bonne durée, L'Auberge Espagnole parvient quasiment à faire oublier sa narration bancale et sa séquence finale effarante avec sa bonne humeur. Quasiment.

• Nov 09, 2015

Not having gone to an Erasmus student exchange, I cannot say that I could actually relate to this movie. It's a nice movie overall though! I liked all the characters and the way they were depicted. Although the movie had a clear protagonist, in a way all of the stories of the people involved carried the movie in such a way that you didn't feel that it was all about Xavier. It was kind of long for my taste and did hate this French couple. I cannot relate with their culture but the wife seemed to stupid and naive in a really annoying sense. Other than that, it seems like a movie that every student should watch at some point. I know I watched it when I was a student and time came to relive the experience some days ago. A fun movie with lots of sweetness inside but also the reality of being a teenager and having all these hormones partying inside of you! I would recommend it, but beware as this is not a comedy. It has some laughs but a comedy you cannot call it.

• Daniel P Super Reviewer
    Oct 24, 2015

It's unfortunate that this film's marketing outside of Europe relied so much on Audrey Tautou, post-Amélie--be advised, she's barely in the movie. What you will find here, however, is light Linklater-ish fare: a deceptively simple story about a summer abroad and all the discovery and temptations and challenges that come with it. It works largely in types, but the characters are memorable and the style (both narrative and visual) aren't the same old cookie-cutter stuff. Quite enjoyable, in all.

• Oct 10, 2015

Another reason to give Foreign Films a try, despite the sub-titles. A French, twenty-somethings film. Although it does ramble on a bit. It gets its energy from the enthusiasm and excitement of being. It deals with romance in such a way that you would expect from the French. And how can you not like Audrey Tautou and Judith Godreche. You'll love how Americans are portrayed.