Auschwitz - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Auschwitz Reviews

½ April 29, 2014
A terribly done and and incredibly inaccurate docudrama from the infamously terrible filmmaker Uwe Boll that shows the inhuman atrocities of the Nazis without a single ounce of respect for the victims and a single ounce of humanity to offset the mind-numbing violence and gratuitous nudity.
TheDudeLebowski65
½ February 9, 2014
Auschwitz is an awful docudrama that tries to recount the atrocities of the Nazis during the Second World War. The film might have been a good documentary, but the level of inaccuracies presented here is far too many to mention. We are given a film that is a poorly thought out, poorly researched documentary on what happened in Auschwitz. The level of inaccuracy here is insulting to the victims and survivors because I feel that if you are to tackle a subject about something as tragic as the Holocaust, you ought to do it right. This is a poorly made effort, with no sense of trying to capture the real events on film, and the methods recreated on film, are not accurate and questionable. This should have been far better, and it's a shame that the film had this level of inaccurate content within the film in order to recreate what happened. However, Auschwitz is a pointless, awful film that doesn't do the subject justice. The most stunning work on the Holocaust is Claude Lanzmann nine hour documentary Shoah, which is the finest work on the subject. That film goes in depth about the crimes committed by the Nazis and it's told in a brilliant, subtle way that it stays with you long after you've seen it. But this film on the other is a film to avoid and it not worth seeing because you'll never get the full story of the Holocaust out of such a thinly layered movie. This film doesn't go in depth, and you are left wanting to know a lot more on the Holocaust. Give Shoah a viewing instead, you'll be glad you did.
½ December 19, 2013
Uwe Boll was never much of a director, I will grant you that. And the bookend interviews here are not focused. But what you witness in this movie, in all it's stomach turning brutality, and "banality of evil" understatement, is without question the most honest and thoughtful movie ever made about the Holocaust. There is no salvation, no redemption, just immeasurable horror. You can almost smell the crematory fires, and I panicked a bit when I coughed during the gas chamber scene. It is unrelentingly visceral and it will disturb you. And that is the point. It outrages the conscience to witness the precise depiction Boll put on film; but using that as an objection against this film, misses the point by miles. Even Adolph Eichmann was reduced to silence after witnessing what happened at Birkenau; even the architect couldn't stomach the slaughterhouse he built. And if we are to say "never again" and mean it, we must allow our consciences to be shocked. Because if we don't, we're living in a fantasy land where some sliver of good can always be salvaged from limitless evil.
½ June 15, 2012
severely devoid of laughs. disappointed.
April 23, 2012
Brutal and powerful docu-movie!
February 25, 2012
Considering Rampage I'm interested to see if Boll has made any further improvements
½ January 28, 2012
part documentry,part film...a shocking look from a German director on Auschwitz...and that in 2010 that 50% of the German population don`t know anything about the Holocaust........
December 3, 2011
A documentary about the Second World War atrocities, Auschwitz concentration camp in particular. The sequences when Uwe Ball tries to recreate the arrival, life and death of the Jews are extremely poorly done. Real war-time documentary sequences are scarce and don't reflect the magnitude of the Nazi crime. The interviews with German youngsters about their knowledge (or absence of knowledge) of the WWII facts are the only thing that's worth attention. Rom's Ordinary Fascism remains the best most psychologically honest movie on the topic, despite the naive and outdated Soviet propaganda deeply embedded in the film.
November 17, 2011
Uwe Boll... That is all.
October 8, 2011
i hope to god that this will somehow turn out to be a good movie, because if it is anything like uwe bolls past attempts at directing, a lot of people will be offended.
½ August 14, 2011
Keep well away. I expected something with a story. It is a poorly made documentary that interviews German students about Auzchwitz with a few poorly acted scenes of Jews in trains and then naked in gas chambers. I think the most poorly made film I haveever seen.
If anyone wants to be educated about the horrendous holocaust by the medium of film, they should watch the wonderfully made Schindlers List.
½ August 2, 2011
The interviews where great and shows some of the ignorance that relates to the holocaust. However the mini-feature did not raise the horror that I hoped for. This is Bolls' "Passion of the Christ" and I know what he's trying to do and it's noble thought but he didn't get there..
July 15, 2011
I was expecting something special from this film, looking at the title was very disappointed it only gives you a small glimpse into what happened to the Jews and focuses more on what today's generation (15-16 yrs olds) in Germany know about about auschwitz. If you was expecting a more in depth film, documentary. Don't bother, if want to know what teenagers in Germany know, this is your film.
½ July 14, 2011
Uwe Boll's latest film is neither an informative documentary nor a dramatic historical re-enactment, rather, it is one forgettable hour of underwhelming Auschwitz dramatization that abandons any coherent narrative structure and simply provides us with a series of poorly shot, dreadfully acted, gratuitously violent scenes of Gas chamber killings, children's corpses being burnt in ovens and babies being shot in the head. Unsurprisingly, it says absolutely nothing new or interesting about Auschwitz and more dangerously, completely exploits the horrific atrocities of the holocaust as an excuse for sickening and yet completely unconvincing violence.
Uwe Boll just isn't a good enough film-maker to handle a subject matter this sensitive or important - after all, his confirmed inability to make a convincing film adaptation of any half-good computer game in the last decade has proven that. Indeed, despite his recent film attempts to supposedly draw attention to more contemporary political issues (Darfur,Tunnel Rats, Rampage), his ham-fisted, ultraviolent, low-budget, incoherently shot, preaching, gratuitous, utterly benign methods prove his films to be more detrimental to their apparent cause than at all helpful.
How this is meant to solve the problem of holocaust denial and general educational ignorance is completely beyond me.
July 12, 2011
Not recommended. No plot just part bad documentary (German teenagers saying they don't remember the Holocaust) and part bad drama (extras standing about naked in a room looking bewildered)
½ May 26, 2011
"Film that portrays the horror committed in the famous death camp, Auschwitz"

The first 10 minutes were ok but then it all collapsed, Uwe Boll did it again.
½ May 10, 2011
Uwe Boll may have directed some of the worst films ever, since then, he gave us 'Stoic', an excellent prison drama and the rather ambitious 'Rampage', a 'Bowling for Columbine'-fiction with a twist. When he announced he was going to make a film about Auschwitz, people shook their heads and expected a disaster.
This is the story of people arriving on a train at the death camp in Poland, getting into the gas chambers and into the oven. It is cruel, I could barely watch it , but it sure helped me remember lessons about this horrific page in history.
I will never forget some scenes of this movie, but I think the director tried to make an honest film about something that should never be forgotten.
½ May 10, 2011