Australia - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Australia Reviews

October 9, 2015
The only time Australia has ever been sexy.
½ September 26, 2015
Baz Luhrmann is absolutely amazing. I love Romeo + Juliet and Moulin Rouge! so hopefully this will be as good as them. Great choice of actors aswell.
August 13, 2015
A movie that stinks from start to finish. Nicole Kidman's performance is just dire which totally ruins the entire film. The one star is for the performance of Hugh Jackman but he can't save this pathetic excuse for entertainment. Avoid at all costs!
July 27, 2015
It was decent I suppose. It's an hour to long and I dint find it all that interesting. But I did kinda enjoy it for some reason. It's not Baz Luhrmanns best nor his worst.
½ July 17, 2015
An extra star because Hugh Jackman's in it
½ July 14, 2015
An epic with similar functions from "Gone With the Wind" to "Pearl Harbor" with some "Dances with Wolves" traits into the mix that tells a property-saving cattle drive forming an unlikely family together and would keep their love connections strong through threatening obstacles and war. It'd created not only the usual defining pieces that were tried and used for the epic genre, there was the typical warmth while it was occasionally an actuality in the romance aspect, alongside emphasizing a certain ideology from a classic source. But an epic film with a filled, bloated length bound to have its weak points and an unbalanced flow of moments' strength, especially some visuals. It's overall a good epic on family retaining their love connections through trouble times. (B)

(Full review coming soon)
½ July 12, 2015
I heard horrible stuff about this movie, but I kinda liked it. Hugh Jackman can do no wrong, but I really enjoyed the movie. LOVED the little boy who played "Nullah." I thoroughly enjoyed this film. Almost 3 hrs long, but I was riveted....or maybe I'm just an easy audience (and Hugh Jackman is a bonus) :)
½ June 22, 2015
This is one of my favorites.
June 16, 2015
Visually stunning. Director's cut please??
May 20, 2015
The acting was great, but the story did need some improvement.
April 9, 2015
Funny scenes too artificial in the movie.
The outback landscape in this continent picked in the movie is good but not as gorgeous as those in the movie Dances with Wolves in my opinion.
March 17, 2015
If I can stay awake through it.
½ March 6, 2015
I read something in the Sunday Times Culture section in late 2008 that outlined that they expected this to be an 'epic' to rival in terms of grandeur classics such as 'Gone with the Wind'. Whilst this film gets nowhere near replicating what has endured as one of the greatest ever films made, it is a good film. The combination of the ongoing love story, the well-to-do air of one of the protagonists, mixing with the less formal, more colloquial presentation of the other, the outback Australian scenery make it easy to see why such comparisons were made. The film cannot be judged against such lofty criteria. Rather, it must be seen as an extravagant demonstration of Luhrmann's cinematic vision, with a cast filled with Australian stars promoting Australia and Australian culture.
½ February 13, 2015
Didn't like it at all. A mediocre film.
February 2, 2015
great movie!!! Baz Luhrmann is my favourite director!!! I loved the cast: Hugh Jackman, David Wenham and Nicole Kidman. I can't believe David played a bad guy!!! I love the fact that they said "bloody" and "bloody hell" a lot in the movie, I like the think that Baz did it on purpose making reference to the ad :P
January 29, 2015
Baz Luhrmann's epic is definitely that, but it also lacks a deal of coherence and has some violent shifts in tone. Full review later.
January 22, 2015
very well played out... it was weird towards the "middle" it felt like the movie was over and it could end... and then it was like it started back up again... Baz Luhrmann's long awaited follow up to Moulin Rouge! is a bright, bold, epic adventure with sumptuous cinematography.
½ January 21, 2015
Fallido film èpico de Baz Luhrman en homenaje a su tierra , su excesivo metraje y la falta de emociòn , la convierten en simple entretenimiento , vale resaltar su hermosa direcciòn artìstica . Ya me imagino que hubiera hecho John Ford con esta historia.
January 2, 2015
Australia is a wonderful saga that deals with most of the Aussies' issues in a great fashion. It features perfect production and strong performances (Wenham is brilliant) to go along a beautiful cinematography. The story may be a bit too cheesy for some of us. It remains nevertheless poignant enough to show us that not all the stolen generation was stolen indeed.
January 2, 2015
A drama adventure movie with a bit of romance aswell taking place in Australia late 1930'. Nicole Kidman plays the woman (Sarah) from England that must protect her property/ranch in Aus with the help of Drover (Hugh Jackman). First of all i thought this movie could have been much shorter. Its almost 3 hour long. The story are decent tho overall along with great acting and beautiful landscapes of Australia. Could have been more excting perhaps to keep the 3 hour in better tempo but thats my opinion. Anyway its a worth seeing movie in the average level.