Autumn Hearts: A New Beginning - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Autumn Hearts: A New Beginning Reviews

May 11, 2013
This is not a movie for me.
December 15, 2012
It was nice & heartwhelming!
½ April 3, 2012
it's amazing the lengths people take to deal with the past and what it takes to start putting it behind you and start living in the present.
September 4, 2010
Great cast and a good movie.
½ May 12, 2010
The direction and cinematography are superb. Unusual camera perspectives and breathtaking panoramas of the beautiful Montrťal scenery enhance what would still be an excellent film even without such artistic flourishes.
March 1, 2010
A nice sophomore effort that fairly successfully trudges over well-trodden territory.
½ February 8, 2010
I was surprised by how poor the screenplay was, especially for the calibar of actors involved. A lot of dialog - very little story and a real "put-ya-ta-sleeper". Certainly NOT one of my favorite Sarandon performances.
½ September 13, 2009
aka ... emotional arithmetic
½ July 9, 2009
Psychology is taking over my life. lol
½ April 28, 2009
Autumn Hearts follows the struggle of 3-survivors from a concentration camp during WWII.

The paticular camp they were in, being a stop on the route to, labor or death camps. The movie reunites the three after nearly 40 years and follows the struggles they still face today - because of the horrors of then.

What I liked about this movie was the flash back scenes, but there were barley enough. The movie's tendency was seeming to want to tell the story of this almost "forgotton" work camp in WWII as well as the emotional struggles each character took with them, they do a great job at following the emotional struggles, but not so much what actually happend or why they have them.

The plot is a good idea, but it's weak. The actors are semi-good. And the movie itself is interesting but not followed up. It was a great idea, but, it pretty much stopped at that. It's worth watching because of what it focuses on - it tells a forgotton story - but other then that - I can tell you a million ways it could have been better.
View it once in memory of those who spent time in those awful camps and then look elsewhere for a better told story.
April 6, 2009
So I wanted this movie to be good but it's not as good as i hoped. I will never understand what people went through during that time period and I assume there are horrible memories of being torn apart from the people you love, but when Susan Sarandon's character started making out with Gabriel Byrne's character I was like no. I think Christopher Plummer's character said it best when he said, "Do we have to be tortured or dead before we matter?" I think that questions raises a good point.
January 12, 2009
Dark and poignant movie with a lot off into the distance. Some curious history of which I was unaware and some lush landscapes of an otherwise unknown eastern Canada. Some good acting for ones who are good at staring into the distance with pained faces.
January 11, 2009
Susan Sarandon como siempre inmejorable...será que es una actriz que me encanta..pero la historia, y el reparto daban para hacer un peliculón.
½ November 21, 2008
Very tender tale with a marvelous ensemble of actors. Susan Sarandon is perfect (as usual) in a very offbeat role for her. At times the film is over ambitious & feels somewhat "staged" & hard to swallow, but overall it's a great one-time see...
November 18, 2008
Gorgeous movie that showcases the lush, serene tapestry of rural Canada, which serve as a contrasting backdrop for two children torn apart by war only to reunite decades later as adults to reveal the complex layers of a bond seared together in the camps of the 3rd Reich.
October 16, 2008
mmmm watching paint dry comes to mind. Average.
½ September 5, 2008
It's worth viewing just to see Max von Sydow, Christopher Plummer, Gabriel Byrne, and Susan Sarandon in one film. Geez... Other than that... it was a touching movie... not fabulous... but good... and I learned a bit of history that I didn't know about before... so that's always good.
September 2, 2008
Nice film set in Canada, I liek movies that are like that these days. Nice setting, incredible cast. However it doesn't go much further than that sadly.
½ July 30, 2008
A fantastic cast with a lame script, a snoozer. Susan Sarandon, Christopher Plumkmer, Max Von Sydow, Gabriel Byrne and Roy Dupuis all, unfortunately, mope around from the very beginning of a film shot during the beautiful fall season colors in Canada. After some more snoozing we eventually find out that Melanie (Sarandon, the only female in this cast), has been obsessed with the fate of 6 million Jews since the time of her release from the Drancy internment camp out side of Paris that was used as a "way station" for Jews being transported to Auschwitz. The only thing keeping your attention in this film is trying to figure out what brings all these people together and when the title of the film "A New Beginning" is going to happen. I really am not sure it ever did.

Among black and white flashbacks and imagined children playing in the barn, we have to find some way to tie this all together and why they all came together at this moment in time.

It seems that Sarandon's character is the only one that even wants to remember what happened in the past while her husband and son feel unterly miserable and helpless, even stifled, as a family (hence, the reason behind their depressive moods). Only her son's son seems oblivious to it all yet soon he too falls victim to the guilt trip it seems that Sarandon wishes on everyone.

Alas, her only escape is her childhood sweetheart who mysteriously shows up with the man who traded 2 paks of cigarettes to the Nazi guards in order to save her and her father from the gas chambers. They eventually give in to their love for each other based only on their shared memories as very young children from the French camp. But alas, at the end of the day, he leaves (this is not a spoiler as he announces this upon his arrival at the beginning of the film), and she seems to slip back into her own little world.

Well, that is about all I got out of this. The script just seemed to be a lesson in hopelessness and was confirmed at the end when the camp "statistics" were revealed to us on screen. This is a story of people who lived through the holocaust but we don't really see a lot of how they made it through, only that they can't move beyond their grief. It is no wonder you would be hard-pressed to find a review on this movie anywhere.

I give it 1 1/2 stars only because of the acting talent. Too bad they had to work with a horrible script.