Autumn in New York - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Autumn in New York Reviews

½ June 9, 2016
2016-06-09 sad but nit that good. Gere is so way too old for her, not clear what she sees in him since he's such a 'typical'.
April 6, 2016
Great love story. I really enjoyed this one. Very believable. A 'must see' film.
½ May 28, 2015
Definitely not one of Gere's strongest moments.
½ April 21, 2015
My generation's weepy 'kill off the young beauty with an illness' exploitation film was "Love Story". By comparison, this piece of sentimental fluff is a weak joke. 'What can you say about a 22 year old girl who died? That she was vapid? That she loved Emily Dickinson, making silly pipe cleaner hats....And a serial womanizing and terminally vain restauranteur?' See? It doesn't work this time around. Oh sure, Richard Gere is ridiculously handsome and charming as the older man who refuses to age, and Winona Ryder is saccharinely sweet and oh-so-lovable as the effusively cute beauty just coming of age, but how much of that thin story line can one take? Because that's all there is. Two attempts at side drama don't work: Gere's one night fling on the roof with an ex-girlfriend (there must be hundreds, you know, as the film repeatedly makes the point that he is irresistible), and the strained relations between the creep and a daughter (Ryder's age, of course), who he abandoned so many years ago he hardly remembers her, much less thinks about her. Well, that first sidepiece reveals that the spunky ingenue has the uncanny ability to tell if a man is lying by touching his heart (literally). And the second provides the happy ending that the producers must have insisted upon (because you know as soon as you learn her physical heart problems are going to be fatal that she will die before you see the credits). No, can't leave an audience weeping in the aisles in 2000 the way you could in the early seventies. Only one totally cringe-worthy ending scene was not imagined, or else it might have made it into the film. But I thought of it. Here's the missing final scene: A year after Ryder's tearful death, Gere and his no-longer-estranged daughter are rowing a boat in Central Park. Daddy dearest suggests he buy a dress for her, straight from Calcutta, to show his love for her. She smiles, shaking her head knowingly saying, "Love means never having to buy a sari." Only those who saw Love Story will understand....
December 19, 2014
An overly stylized romantic drama, Autumn in New York gets a little maudlin but has a compelling story to tell. Richard Gere plays a New York playboy who gets more than he bargains for when he pursues a much younger woman (Winona Ryder) who turns out to have a unique heart condition. Ryder delivers her usual charm and good humor, but Gere is just phoning it in; and as a result they don't quite connect well enough to sell this unconventional romance. Additionally, the film itself does the story no favors by over saturating itself in symbolism and aesthetic designs that emphasize the themes. Still, it's not a bad picture and Gere and Ryder are both likable and sympathetic in their respective roles. Despite a few weaknesses, Autumn in New York is an entertaining film that explores some interesting issues.
November 13, 2014
October 18, 2014
Sappy instead of moving. The pairing of the leads just doesn't work and seems creepy.
February 6, 2014
I've seen a few movies like this. Womanizing guy falls in love with beautiful woman only to find out she has terminal something-or-other, and he matures caring for her. Seen it, done it.
January 16, 2014
Ele muito lindo ;3
January 14, 2014
Another useless romantic drama with a good cast but a terrible sloppy story of a young woman with an incurable disease who falls in love with a a wealthy restaurant tycoon. I let you guess what's gonna happen. It's so dull & uninteresting you might very well fall asleep after the first 15 minutes...what a bunch of cliches! Terrible from start to end.
January 7, 2014
What the flying fuck is up with chick flick dramas? Autumn and the sick woman wit an unknown ailment. OK... she dies and the guy left behind changes because of her positive influence over him. How about a chick flick that destroys everyone when she lives and leaves things even worse after she dies?
½ October 2, 2013
One of my very favorite romance movies of all time even though it's over the top in every way...and one of my top that have been filmed in New York with the city as a main character. Central Park never looked better...and Richard Gere!
½ July 6, 2013
Liked this. Love Winona and really fond of Gere when he plays these kinds of roles :)
June 29, 2013
Oh my GOD....this movie sucks so bad and the acting is so artificial that its actually physically painful to watch! This is what happened to Winona rider's career! Bad bad baddddd!
June 29, 2013
I was a bit surprised of the negative outlook taken upon this movie. I came upon this movie randomly this Saturday and morning and for whatever reason just watched it. I don't know if I'm just in a weird mood or what but this movie really got to me. Coming from a guy who doesn't much take to "chick flicks" I'm not really sure why.
½ June 10, 2013
I liked the movie when it was in the theater. I watched it recently through NetFlix. I thought the actors were good in their roles.
½ May 6, 2013
Much hokier than I remembered. Gere and Ryder have no chemistry. (A very good retake on Love Story)
April 27, 2013
fantastic and very sad movie! its amazing how love and right person can change you life in most unusual ways!
½ February 18, 2013
No matter how many times I have seen this movie; it always makes me cry.