Autumn Leaves - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Autumn Leaves Reviews

May 22, 2017
interesting to watch. Melodramatic
April 30, 2017
Older woman/younger man romance at a time when it was just "not done". Vera Miles and Lorne Greene play against type, and do it very well. I always find it interesting the way they looked at mental illness in the 50's. The story is an interesting one.
June 4, 2016
Kooky melodrama is the ultimate Crawford soap opera.
½ January 4, 2014
I've developed a morbid fascination with Joan Crawford. I really don't think she's that good of an actress, but her performances are always bizarrely compelling and this film is no different. Joan is the older half of a May-September romance with a younger war veteran, Cliff Robertson. Things get complicated when Joan finds out he's already married and that he's also a bit disturbed (looking for a mommy figure). The film is certainly not as classy a soaper as "All That Heaven Allows" when the younger Rock Hudson begins seeing the older Jane Wyman, but this film does have a campiness to it, mostly thanks to Joan's over dramatic performance (though Cliff isn't far behind), that made it compelling and so that I couldn't take my eyes off it. Joan is just one weird cat! Vera Miles and Lorne Greene also appear in the film and the great Robert Aldrich directed.
½ December 18, 2013
Autumn Leaves is an excellent film. It is about a Millicent Wetherby who is a middle-aged woman whose life is devoid of love and affection. Joan Crawford, Vera Miles, and Cliff Robertson give amazing performances. The script is well written. Robert Aldrich did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama. Autumn Leaves is a must see.
December 1, 2013
Liked it until the ending.
May 18, 2013
when I first saw this movie it was ok...but with the second and third viewing a could understand the conversation od
psychiatrist and joan crawford..cliff robinson has broken heart with schizophrenic symptoms due to his father and high school sweet heart having sex ...wow..very deep his ex wife and father?...joan crawford is a very good actress and plays a loyal and devoted spouse to the now broken down cliff robertson...will she place him in mental hospital...will he return to his older second true and real wife?...if you here of morals and strength of older generation woman..watch joan crawford in this movie!
½ April 1, 2013
I think this is probably the best of Joan's 50s period, actually. She's very good here as the meek, scared, but resilient Millie. Despite the age gap between her and Cliff Robertson, because it's a plot point, it actually works. The direction, however, is a bit over the top and the noir-ish tone unnecessary. Also, whilst the portrayal of the descent into mental illness is accurate, the motivation seems a bit unlikely- especially for 1950s men who were a damn sight tougher than today's crop! In addition to this, the idea that someone could be get, suffer, and be cured of a serious mental illness (one supposes a bipolar breakdown) in the space of a year, obviously rather dates things- I suppose that came from the 'it's an illness like any other' period of medicine- as evidenced by the idea the electro-shock therapy could work or help 'turn people normal' when we know in all likelihood he would have come out a placid, drooling mess. Anyway, despite all this it's a good film where you care about the characters and Crawford really gives it her all.
½ December 8, 2012
reeks of melodramatic excess
½ August 2, 2012
51 year-old Joan is Millie, a "career gal" (what they called women who had jobs instead of husbands, back in the day) who meets Burt, played by an 18 years younger Cliff Robertson (to which I say GO JOAN!). He moves fast, and soon they're married. Shortly thereafter, his ex-wife Virginia (Vera Miles), whom Millie knew nothing about, shows up to have some papers signed, and to tell Millie that Burt is a crazy, and a kleptomaniac. She suggests Millie visit Burt's father (Lorne Greene). Turns out Virginia and Burt's dad have been screwing around for years, and this is what makes Burt go nuts. I whooped with joy during the scene where Joan calls Vera Miles a tramp and a slut. Millie puts Burt in an institution, he gets better, and still loves Millie at the end. Joan cries a LOT, and once again her natural beauty is dampened by her severe fifties hairstyle, but this is a perfect little melodrama, and was the most recent (chronologically) Joan film I hadn't seen. This was the 53rd of 81 Joan movies I've seen.
½ July 16, 2012
An odd romance picture. But, Joan Crawford played it flawlessly
September 21, 2011
Decent melodrama about trust, need and mental stability (or a lack of). It was an ok flick.
June 5, 2011
Aldrich + Crawford = :)
½ April 29, 2011
From what I have read, Crawford herself really liked this film. A cautious professional, Joan does not invest Millie with all she is. You don't see Millie throwing down plastic slip covers or replacing toilet seats, for instance. But you do see a "Gone With The Wind" moment where Millie smiles in bed, believing she has won Burt back from the precipice of madness he habitually hangs over. Crawford, like many of her generation, preferred sublime innuendo to overt sexuality onscreen and referenced the scene from the classic film where Scarlett wakes up still ecstatic after a night of abandon with Rhett. That was the way to do it, Joan reckoned. On the other hand, Joan gets pretty far down to the nitty gritty when expressing Millie's pain when Burt severely injures her. Real time, or looped-in later? Either way, superbly done. Cliff Robertson is wonderfully restrained; he and Joan are generous with each other in their scenes. This movie is a joy to view again and again, largely for Aldrich's impeccable timing and Crawford's facial expressions. And much more.
June 10, 2010
lived it, so no thanks (I'd rather stay sane then ...)
½ April 8, 2010
a 50-year old joan and a man 20 years her junior - superb.
½ November 19, 2009
Miss Crawford at her finest!
August 9, 2009
An older woman (Joan Crawford) / younger man (Cliff Robertson) love story that is pretty edgy for a 1956 film. Crawford and Robertson do a good job portraying the fateful lovers whose relationship is tested by Robertson mental stability stemming from an insidious couple; his ex and his father.
August 4, 2009
Good score, typical Joan Crawford movie of the 1950's, perhaps not quite as good as her others in this period. she's appropriately melodramatic. Cliff Robertson just doesn't cut it though, i think he is miscast and over his head in the role. still, good, as is every film Joan Crawford is in.