Autumn Spring (Bab lto) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Autumn Spring (Bab lto) Reviews

½ August 31, 2014
Very enjoyable, although you need to think your way into being Czech and old first. Fanda is a character, and full of life: money is a toy, and flutters through his fingers like so much confetti. His wife has a hard time, and his son's family arrangements are putting a load of extra pressure on them both. Perceptive and affectionate, if a little slow in parts. It's about relationships more than events.
June 30, 2014
this is a movie about old age but the movie never grows old to me :) saw it thrice.
February 18, 2013
What a great movie.Glad I picked it up at the library
May 6, 2012
This movie is really sad when you find out, and I found out months prior to watching the movie because I do research, that Vladimil Brodsky committed suicide shortly after filming this movie. It makes watching really bittersweet, when you see how this character plays out on screen as someone who just wants to enjoy life by playing pranks on people to feel alive and young again. It's really a great and charming performance, quite frankly the three leads are all great. The story is also really good, seeing how this man's behavior ultimately hurts the person he loves the most. It's very believable to think that this man, who's close to the end of his life, to want to feel young and alive again by doing what he does. It's also believable to see his wife react the way she does. It's just great. And it deals with the death issue in a mature manner, it doesn't feel melodramatic. Overall it's just a really great movie with very funny and touching moments.
March 17, 2012
Not Too Shabby.
Brilliant on all levels. Masterful composition & lighting with a warm heart of a story to give it pulse.
December 1, 2011
The story was beautiful and it had some funny moments in the movie. The main character was kind of annoying though. Also it can be very slow in the first half of it.
June 20, 2011
Not really 'Harold and Maude', no one is going after younger dudes. I loved it.
May 9, 2011
A rather slow Czech movie but I really enjoyed the message about always enjoying life even when society seems to dictate that age puts a limit on the things we can/should do.
April 24, 2011
A fun, refreshing and grounded comedy exploring the drama of aging. The last scene on the film is a perfect reminder that constructing sand castles can be a joyful activity.
April 14, 2011
Such a cute little old man... sweet, but predictable story.
December 25, 2010
Bittersweet movie about being young at heart no matter what your age is, and the importance of true friendships and intimacy to tackle life's challenges. The three main characters were portrayed beautifully by the veteran actors.
October 15, 2010
ห?ั??ู?สู?อายุ ?ล?า?ึ??รื?อ??วามสัม?ั????อ?????วัย?รา ?ั??ารมอ??ล???????ี
July 30, 2010
Brilliant, with the indomitable 80-year-old Fanda and his friend, Ed, running loose in town playing high-to-low stakes pranks when they should apparently know better, and are expected to rather be worrying about their funerals by making regular savings, noting good-as-opposed-to-lousy obituaries, and the like -as does Fanda's diligent wife, Emilie. And rightly, why should they or even Emilie for that matter sit waiting for death when they can live and dream so much amusement and adventure. The only pity is that my Bangkok Airport bought DVD kept sticking towards the end, but still it was well worth it -even though I ended up watching a Czech film, dubbed in Thai with English subtitles. Must get me another copy to own.
May 30, 2010
An interesting rather entertaining movie that is quite different from any other movie. It was thought provoking and amusing in parts - and I guess the overall theme would be making the most of life with what you have. It is a Czech movie so subtitled the whole way through. Not sure what's up with the weird cover - it's not a weird movie or anything.
½ February 26, 2010
The 3rd Czech movie I've watched...Enjoy their sense of humor and adore their benevolence. A bittersweet movie with laugh and tears. Worth watching.
January 30, 2010
A feel good movie from the Czech Republic about aging in dignity and enjoying life while you still can. Young at heart.
July 8, 2009
I know that I am meant to think of this film as heartwarming--all the critical reviewers have told me so--and the main character as an inspirational example of a life lived on one's own terms. To me, however, it is a reminder of what a disaster life would be if we lived solely in the present, without consideration of the future. I find it hard to celebrate a character who is so careless of the harm his ego-fulfillment has upon others, especially those closest to him. Maybe his wife wouldn't have to be such a scold if her husband wasn't stealing from her and lying to her all the time.

On the other hand, it was a nice illustration of how a person's most irritating qualities can sometimes be what endears them to us.
June 12, 2009
A loveable old guy spends his days as a benevolent con man, much to the chagrin of his wife and family. I found this movie quite inspiring.
March 2, 2009
Super. I thought I was having a mid-life crisis. Now I know how to live the next 40 years. I know I'll try. (I guess this is yet another symptom of my 40-year-old crisis?!?)
December 3, 2008
Very touching. It makes my heart sing.