Autumn Spring (Babí léto) Reviews

• Aug 31, 2014

Very enjoyable, although you need to think your way into being Czech and old first. Fanda is a character, and full of life: money is a toy, and flutters through his fingers like so much confetti. His wife has a hard time, and his son's family arrangements are putting a load of extra pressure on them both. Perceptive and affectionate, if a little slow in parts. It's about relationships more than events.

• Jun 24, 2014

this is a movie about old age but the movie never grows old to me :) saw it thrice.

• Jesse O Super Reviewer
    May 06, 2012

This movie is really sad when you find out, and I found out months prior to watching the movie because I do research, that Vladimil Brodsky committed suicide shortly after filming this movie. It makes watching really bittersweet, when you see how this character plays out on screen as someone who just wants to enjoy life by playing pranks on people to feel alive and young again. It's really a great and charming performance, quite frankly the three leads are all great. The story is also really good, seeing how this man's behavior ultimately hurts the person he loves the most. It's very believable to think that this man, who's close to the end of his life, to want to feel young and alive again by doing what he does. It's also believable to see his wife react the way she does. It's just great. And it deals with the death issue in a mature manner, it doesn't feel melodramatic. Overall it's just a really great movie with very funny and touching moments.

• Dec 01, 2011

The story was beautiful and it had some funny moments in the movie. The main character was kind of annoying though. Also it can be very slow in the first half of it.

• Jul 31, 2011

Not Too Shabby. Brilliant on all levels. Masterful composition & lighting with a warm heart of a story to give it pulse.

• Jun 20, 2011

Not really 'Harold and Maude', no one is going after younger dudes. I loved it.

Not really 'Harold and Maude', no one is going after younger dudes. I loved it.

• May 09, 2011

A rather slow Czech movie but I really enjoyed the message about always enjoying life even when society seems to dictate that age puts a limit on the things we can/should do.

• Apr 24, 2011

A fun, refreshing and grounded comedy exploring the drama of aging. The last scene on the film is a perfect reminder that constructing sand castles can be a joyful activity.

• Apr 14, 2011

Such a cute little old man... sweet, but predictable story.

Such a cute little old man... sweet, but predictable story.

• Dec 25, 2010

Bittersweet movie about being young at heart no matter what your age is, and the importance of true friendships and intimacy to tackle life's challenges. The three main characters were portrayed beautifully by the veteran actors.