Avalon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Avalon Reviews

October 10, 2011
Good ... in a better-than-it's-supposed-to-be film school project-level production sort of way.
June 28, 2011
Avalon... The land where heroes live forever
May 8, 2011
This Japanese written and directed Polish film takes it's own unique look at alternative electronic universes. The Matrix-esque steam-punk feel of the film is visually stunning and in my opinion this film will have a cult following for years to come. For those who aren't fans of subtitled films, don't fret. Its the cinematography which makes this film so good. Plus the dialogue is kept to a minimum to allow viewers to form their own opinions of the events as they unfurl. 4 stars from me as I think they could have expanded the final Avalon sequence of events further. I was left wanting more which I'm sure was the writer's intent.
May 3, 2011
Excellent Polish treatment of sci-fi fantasy. Loved the photography and overall feel of the film. The fact that I could understand some of the dialogue added to my enjoyment of it!
March 1, 2011
Similar to other alternate-reality movies that came out around the same time. The Matrix, Existenz, The Thirteenth Floor, etc. The only movie I enjoyed more would be the first Matrix. Pacing is a bit slow at times, but overall a very enjoyable mind-trap.
½ February 13, 2011
Avalon is a strange little film. Originally filmed in the Polish language but dubbed into english, written by Japanese, directed by the person who brough us Ghost in the Shell, and borrowing heavily from The Matrix in terms of style and design, Avalon is a film that seems like it would appeal to a lot of science fiction fans. Instead, it will likely wind up languishing in obscure video stores, forgotten and unwanted. It's unfortunate but not unexpected. Without the anime-fan appeal that the rest of Oshii's animated features enjoy, Avalon doesn't have a market that will actively seek it out. Admittedly, Avalon doesn't live up to the rest of Mamoru Oshii's films, but it's still a good film, and definately worth a look, especially if you can understand the Polish voicing without subtitles. The film is set in the near future, where young people who have nothing else to live for participate in a fantastical virtual reality wargame called "Avalon". Some never return from it, winding up in hospital beds requiring medical attention. Despite the explosions featured on the cover, the action sequences are short, and there aren't very many of them. The special effects look very unique, and the sepia-tone filter put over the film makes it hard to distinguish the real world from the virtual world, unlike The Matrix where it's surprisingly easy. Really, whether or not you will like this film is whether or not you can put up with Mamoru Oshii's continental-drift pace style of film. It will go on for ages with seemingly nothing happening, and then act as if many, many things had just happened. It's up to the viewer to piece everything together and figure out what's going on for yourself... Which brings me to Miramax's butchering of the English dub. It takes out a lot of the appeal of the film by explaining EVERYTHING via voiceovers. While it might help the average viewer understand, what Miramax apparently did NOT understand was that this film isn't aimed at "average" viewers, it's aimed at a small niche of film-lovers willing to put up with Oshii's directoral style and dig deeply into the metaphorical meanings of every single shot. For them... it's pretty good. Not amazing. Even for someone like me, it seemed to be dragged out. But it's still worthy of your support, just know what you are getting into.

OVERALL: 7.0/10
½ January 22, 2011
A decent story line, but the cinematography and yellow blurry filter are terrible. The acting wasn't very good either.
½ October 15, 2010
Mamoru Oshii bathes the film in sepia tones, with color appearing to accent details throughout. It is a take it or leave it story dealing with virtual reality and what is and isn't real and how would you be able to tell.
½ October 9, 2010
Beautiful and enigmatic, if a tad bizarre in places, I ended up liking this a lot more than I expected. An unexpected gem I will probably watch again someday. Wonderful soundtrack bumps it up to four and a half.
September 10, 2010
I think its made for young people.
Love this vfx and charactor design. But hate the actors.
I guess its better with CG charactors.
½ September 6, 2010
A metà strada tra Matrix e GHost in the Shell. Ottima regia di Oshii, ma gli attori sono abbastanza impresentabili...
September 4, 2010
if you compare this with the famous "Matrix Trilogy" then i think you were out of context and even out of idea because this film is made by those who inspire The Wachowski Brother to made The Matrix.

The Content itself were also different, more deeper, more darker, more sadder, and more gloomier with many references to Arthurian Legend and what is mean of self and others...

but still you need to see this film more than once to capture the real meaning....which is a quite hard for those who like to have some fun watching the movies without thinking....that's why this movie were screened in festival
August 12, 2010
Entre réalité et réalité virtuelle, où veut-on vivre, laquelle vaut mieux ? Message du film ambigu, on est un peu perdus. L'esthétique du film est particulière (couleurs, saturation), on a parfois l'impression de manque de moyens... Les acteurs ont un jeu minimal, les effets sont plutôt pas mal. Le rythme est un peu trop lent et certaines scènes trop fixes. La musique est tout simplement magnifique !
August 11, 2010
This is an odd movie. It's a Japanese movie filmed in Poland, bleakly realised as only an Eastern European movie could be.
My problem with it is the story, which promises alot but never really goes anywhere. At times I thought it was heading in a certain direction, but it didn't. In the end this film is more about the look than the story, and it looks good, especially for a movie from 2001, but flashy effects can not carry a film.
½ August 10, 2010
Strange. And not because of cross-cultural differences. If *even* the Poles find it not really appealing this is clearly not the matter of a communication gap. Too long, with too many prolonged (pointless) scenes of inaction (at least if they were interweaved by a highly active sequences!) not bringing anything into the hardly even sketched plot. Foremniak - mechanical acting, even though I do understand that it was partially done on purpose, the only better exposed main character of the film needs to have more personality than a toster.
½ July 18, 2010
Fantastic on many levels (visuals, story, intrigue), this is the kind of movie you are okay with yourself if you don't return to Netflix for a while.
½ July 10, 2010
Switched off after 10 Minutes...
½ June 16, 2010
Really, not bad. Good photography and direction. The acting is OK. Simple story, but it is set very good. This video game Sci-Fi flick should be of interest for those who like movies with parallel realities, like Matrix.