Awards Tour: Golden Globe Winners!

Summary

With the Oscars just around the corner, "Avatar," "Up," and "Crazy Heart" continued their strong showings this season at the 2010 Golden Globe Awards. Check out the full list of winners below! Back to Article

Comments

Josue A.

Josue Arana

why wasnt district 9 nominated for best picture?, why didnt the hurt locker win? both were clearly much better, more original than avatar, one more why didnt gabourey sibide win best actress, she was much better in precious than sandra bullock was in the blind side

Jan 17 - 11:34 PM

inactive user

Jared King

The premise behind "Distirct 9" is engaging, like "Avatar". Also like "Avatar", it's not original.

Jan 17 - 11:46 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Jan 17 - 11:46 PM

misterkyle1901

kyle T

This is how it should have gone...
The supporting categories are fine. The best actor in a comedy/musical should have been Gordon-Levitt (maybe Stuhlbarg). Best actress in a drama should have gone to anyone but Bullock (no offense). Cameron can have best director for all his efforts. 500 Days of Summer should have been a no-brainer in its category. The Hangover was fine. But not award worthy. The Hurt Locker should have won best drama. Followed by Inglorious Bastards. Followed by Up in the Air. I haven't seen Precious. But Avatar should not have won best picture. It basically won for the same reason The Hangover did: it was widely seen. But that does not warrant an award. And why no "Waltz with Bashir" anywhere?

Jan 17 - 11:52 PM

Ben W.

Ben Walker

Congratulations to Michael C Hall, It's about time he received some recognition for his amazing work on Dexter. I'm Shell-shocked that Avatar won best picture, although its a great pop-corn flick it really doesn't have anywhere near the emotional impact of The Hurt Locker, still kudos to James Cameron I guess, everything the man touches seems to turn to gold.

Jan 18 - 12:09 AM

jeanpaul

solomon sassoon

SAD DAY indeed for the GOLDEN GLOBES indeed when a "Gimmick Movie" like AVATAR takes best film instead of far better and emotionally resonating films like THE HURT LOCKER and countless other better films with better and more powerful storylines...

Seemingly, the associated Press or whoever the GOLDEN GLOBES people are have been just as CRAZED with the "gimmickness" of AVATAR like the 12 to 18 year olds who consider it a better film than Cameron's TITANIC.
AVATAR was a good film. I enjoyed it. It was engaging and entertaining. On the emotional or powerfull storytelling level, let it be said: IT IS NOT TITANIC, AND IT IS NO "TITANIC". And no matter how much money it will make, it never will be.
TITANIC is a historical Legend that practically wrote itself {everything TITANIC related has always been a success-- from books to films} and James Cameron made the TITANIC Legend even grander with his amazing film from 1997.

In short: GOLDEN GLOBES are idiots.

However, I also saw the amazing movie "THE STONING OF SORAYA M." several days back-- and I'm still "recovering". That movie 'shakes' you. Talk about poignant and touching cinema...

I don't understand truly how that movie or the Iranian-American actress SHOHREH AGDASHLOO and others from that movie were not considered for nominations in the GLOBES!! This is further proof that the Golden Globes are CRAP.

I hope the ACADEMY AWARDS nominations list rectifies this, and does more justice to films like "THE STONING OF SORAYA M." and many others, instead of gimmick movies like AVATAR.

Jan 18 - 12:31 AM

Rob W.

Rob Whalley

In my opinion, Titanic is the most overrated movie of all time, unfortunately it holds the box office record. I would put it in the same category as the notebook, but with some exceptional special effects and I bet if you loved Titanic, you loved the Notebook. I think you are being a bit harsh, Avatar is no gimmick, the world James Cameron has created is like nothing ever presented to mankind on the big screen before. It's revolutionary and that must be commended. Never before have i wanted to actually jump into the picture and be part of a movie. I simply have not experienced a feeling like that in the movies before. Watched the hurt Locker last night and had been waiting eagerly for ages to see it. It was a really good movie but I dont think it will be the best Academy Award winning movie of all time if it does take it out. It's good but not a movie i would go see a second time. After reading your comments RE the Stoning movie, i will definitely track it down and watch, sounds interesting. After seeing the TV nominations, i agree with you, they may be idiots, there definitely are some popular shows nominated (apart from Dexter, USOT and Mad Men) rather than some great shows like Friday Night Lights and even Being Erica. good post.

Jan 18 - 05:20 AM

inactive user

Jared King

"In short: GOLDEN GLOBES are idiots."

I think you might wanna rethink that phrase. You know the Globes are an award, and certain people are the people who you are strangley mad at. "Avatar" is great, but you don't have to like it. At least it's better than nominating a God awful movie that critics and audiences think little of. *cough* The Reader *cough*

Jan 18 - 10:15 AM

Alejandro O.

Alejandro Olazabal

I am just so happy nine didnīt won **** and that the hangover won the award for best comedy.

Jan 18 - 03:01 AM

Labordus

Sam Labordus

I can't believe this junk. I will admit, the award shows will have a hard time finding some quality movies to nominate. Yes, there were good movies, but there was really nothing that was just fantastic. And the things that were just fantastic, obviously will not be touched. It will be interesting to see what will happen in the coming weeks.

Jan 18 - 04:38 AM

Rob W.

Rob Whalley

Friday Night Lights? I'm very disappointed that it's not being included. Kyle Chandler isn't getting the credit he deserves but he had a tough list in the male actor, however Connie Britton playing Tami Taylor was outstanding and so believable, i think she definitely deserved to be nominated.. I would class it as one of the best shows of all time and I have ESPN's Bill Simmons to back me up on that one. Watched the Hurt Locker the other night and i think its downfall is the main actor, great movie though, just because he is the guy from that road trip movie - hard to take him serious.

Jan 18 - 04:56 AM

sunsaz

Chris Moore

I'll be honest here, I'm not happy with the fact that Avatar stole (and I strongly stand behind that word) the Best Director and Best Picture awards. Only explanation I can see is that it's doing better business overseas (67% of its earnings) than Hurt Locker did (only 19%). I'm not giving up on Hurt Locker yet though. I think it can still pull off the Oscar win.

On the lighter side, I'm glad that Streep, Bullock, Bridges and Waltz all won. In my predictions, I bet against all of them except Waltz, but I can live with those decisions though.

Jan 18 - 05:15 AM

Rob W.

Rob Whalley

Jan 18 - 05:20 AM

Rufam S.

Rufam Scadalam

The negative: Avatar winning the two major categories. A very mediocre film, made almost exclusively for profit with no script nor memorable performances. The visuals were definately amazing but they shouldn't be the only criterion to judge a film.

The positive: Up winning both Best Animated Picture and Best Score.

Jan 18 - 05:40 AM

Jonson B.

Jonson Baby

I just can't understand why LOST is ignored by GG year after year. It's much better than most of the shows...

Jan 18 - 06:44 AM

n.die.jaedong

William Reznicek

Bah Avatar was amazing but, i havent seen a better movie than the hurt locker in a long time.

Jan 18 - 06:58 AM

Mr. Dufresne

Chip McNair

I respect your opinion, but how was UP's screenplay horrible? I'm not saying it's better than FMF, since I haven't seen that one (yet), but I loved UP and found nothing to be wrong with the screenplay.

Jan 18 - 07:00 AM

August M.

Agustin Macias

only watch the opening for Ricky Gervais monologue. Although he did the jokes already on the adult swim ads, it was still funny doing The Office jokes and made it funnier when the camera pans to Steve Carrell's reactions.

Jan 18 - 07:09 AM

fresh f.

fresh fresh

I dont know how or why Quentin Tarantino keeps getting ignored. He deserves a damn award.

Jan 18 - 07:22 AM

Tyler L.

Tyler Lee

Wtf, how the hell did Avatar get best picture?

Jan 18 - 07:49 AM

Zantorian

Craig Krum

Seriously, I've been to see Avatar 4 times now and will probably see it one more time before it leaves IMAX, but it certainly wasn't because I thought it was the best picture of the year! It is a gimmick film and should win every technical/CG award they can come up with, but Best Drama? I have a low opinion of most of these award shows to begin with, and it just got a lot lower.

Jan 18 - 08:15 AM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

They did...

Bridges of Madson County.

sigh.

5-2004
6-2005
7-2006
8-2007
9-2008
10-2009

Thats ten years or, a decade.

Jan 18 - 08:27 AM

BCENS

B Cens

Deth,

Unless there was a "Year Zero" in between 1 B.C and 1 A.D., all decades since have started on a one and ended on a zero.

Jan 18 - 07:25 PM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

You are correct when measuring centuries.

Remember, we measure decades differently. That's why we have the seventies, eighties, nineties, instead of the seventies 1980.

We don't group by decade based on the fact that we started on year one...only centuries.

Think about it.

You are incorrect.

Jan 18 - 08:23 PM

Jake L.

Jake Levin

So dethburger, does that mean that the 20th century included the year 2000? That would mean that 2000 was part of the century of the 1900s but was part of the decade of the 2000s.

I agree with you that the decade is from 0-9, but your logic on that last argument was a little flawed.

Jan 18 - 08:30 PM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

My logic isn't flawed. The new millenium didn't start till 2001.

We count centuries different than decades.

This is fact.

Jan 18 - 08:36 PM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday