Avatar - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Avatar Reviews

May 29, 2017
James Cameron's 'Avatar' is a pretty looking film and I appreciate the environmentalist message but the story is rather lackluster. In this sci-fi Pocahontas humans have depleted Earth's resources. A scientific expedition along with military personnel are sent to another planet to mine for Unobtanium and will do so at the expense of the indigenous culture. This film was supposed to be a big deal but it is so bland with characters you don't really care about, it's easy to see why 'Avatar' isn't talked about much more. If you are interested in seeing hippie smurfs fight for their resources against a bunch of cardboard cutout depictions of humans then this is the movie for you! Otherwise skip it.
½ May 29, 2017
Review (1~5)

#Content: Script 3 | Acting 3 | Cinematography 4 | Film Editing 4

#Visual: Costume Design 5 | Makeup & Hairstyling 5 | Scenic Design 5 | Lighting 5 | Visual Effects 5

#Sound: Score & Soundtracks 5 | Sound Editing & Mixing 5

#Overall (1~10): 7
½ May 23, 2017
Horrible movie with predictable plot and unlickable characters. I'm not sure why anyone enjoyed it. The only upside was the effects but if you have that much budget for effects you should really do something about the quality of the plot.
May 18, 2017
Dear haters, the presence of Dances With Wolves and Pocahantas do not retroactively make this film terrible. It is, in fact, remarkable and one of the best films of all time.
May 16, 2017
After seeing Avatar 3 times at IMAX, and still wishing I can watch it again, I have to say it's the best cinematic experience I've ever had going to the movies (other than LOTR)! The movie delivers on all the hype and then some. The story may not be the most original but the execution is still great. Throughout the movie, you feel like you're in Pandora and really connect with the characters. Zoe Saldana's performance as Neytiri is especially outstanding! Cameron's 12 year hiatus to develop the 3D and lifelike CG (and I do mean absolutely photo realistic) technology is paying off in spades. Never before has a movie been primarily CG and still come off as absolutely real. The guy is a visionary and really sets new standards with his movies. The bar has been raised and any action movie after Avatar is going to have a lot to live up to. The final battle scene was EPIC! 12 years after Cameron made Titanic, there comes a movie that is going to give it a run for it's number 1 spot at the box office of all time. Coincidence that it's Cameron's Avatar? Screw that! The king of the world is back! 4.5 out of 5 stars!
May 12, 2017
Love love love loved this movie!! Bought the DVD with the extended version, that has all the deleted scenes in the movie as they were meant to be. Really can't wait to see the sequels and I hope they are as good or better then the first!
May 10, 2017
It's good visually but the story is predictable and fairly shite
May 9, 2017
beastly epic scifi war drama fantasy lol. beautiful shots and mesmerizing scenes.
one of the most visually stunning movies of all time. and as the first big 3D movie,
it was groundbreaking. lots of moving scenes. and i am able to relate to the plight of the blue people (about 4 viewings)
May 8, 2017
one of the most overrated movies ever created... it looks pretty but thats the only positive
May 2, 2017
Dialog so clunky and force that I feel like I'm being punched in the face. The is the third time I've tried to get through this move without sleeping or skipping ahead, and I still can't finish this very very expensive turd sandwich.

Derp* I'm trying to blend in with the natives so I'm going to create clothes for my avatar that are what I'd wear as a human, to include my "Stanford" tank top * derp

3 stars for, whatever, blue people. God I hate this fucking movie.
May 2, 2017
First off the scenery to this movie it was beautiful and I like how they are all blue and The music to this movie was good. But the problem was it was too long of a movie and complicated to understand this movie so I was not a big fan of this movie
½ April 29, 2017
Perfectly mediocre in every sense of the term with thinly written characters and a thinly written plot. A great example of style over substance.
April 27, 2017
Not that original, but still a fun joy ride! It's too bad that Sam Worthington has not really grown or develop as a capable actor ever since! What a shame, because he felt like he had potential!
April 22, 2017
I love this movie! The story can be a bit cliche, but I think this film is beautiful and I never got tired of it. A very good example of a great fantasy movie!
April 22, 2017
Avatar is an okay Environmental film with good visuals and fantastic Navis, but an other plot and characters that are just generic tropes we've seen over and over.
This is a good film if you want tons of sad moments or if you want a nice message but don't expect anything phenomenal or groundbreaking.
Story:6|10
Visuals:8|10
Characters:5|10
Overall:6.1|10
April 21, 2017
Pretty much a perfect movie
April 20, 2017
Visually stunning; beyond that -- a mere repackaged rip-off of Dances With Wolves.
½ April 13, 2017
While the story is unoriginal, the wonderful, stunning graphics make it a true feat of effects. The cast is also very good, but the actors look slightly out of place next to the CGI creations, but other wise, seamless graphics, and I can't wait for the sequel.
½ April 10, 2017
I would give Avatar less than the half star I gave it if I could. It took me a week to slog through. The story is awful. If you have seen Dances With Wolves, Pocahontas, Fern Gully, or Atlantis: The Lost Empire you have seen Avatar with much better stories that make a lot more sense. The only redeeming quality Avatar has is it is pretty to look at so I guess that half star is about what it deserves after all.
½ April 9, 2017
This is a good ass movie