Avatar - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Avatar Reviews

½ April 9, 2017
This is a good ass movie
½ April 7, 2017
it was the lorax but with amazing visuals and guns but was kinda bland and beats you to death with the hole save the planet speech
April 6, 2017
Best CGI? Not yet. But this is truly a fantastic endeavor of James Cameroon by bringing the film industry to new heights.
April 4, 2017
Visually stunning. Stunningly predictable and too convenient for the sake of moving the story forward.
March 31, 2017
My god. What a film. This movie has been in flux in my top 3 favorite movies of all time since it came out. Dropping the #2 when the Avengers came out. Dropping when Jurassic World came out. But it always bounces back to #1 on my list. The visuals are STUNNING even today nearly a full decade after it came out and it STILL looks better than most films put out today. Now yeah the plot is comparable to Pocahontas but slight problem there being was that was a good film too. If your trying to bash a movie don't compare it to another good movie unless it tried to pass itself off as that movie. This didn't try to pass itself off as another film. This movie pulled a good performance out of Sam Worthington if that's not an impressive feat I don't know what is. The entire cast was amazing especially Worthington,Zoe Saldana,and Stephen Lang. It's been 8 years and I'm still FOAMING at the mouth for the sequel.
½ March 30, 2017
One of the most overrated movies ever.
½ March 25, 2017
I didn't find a moment of the movie to be believable. Cameron spent millions on the look and nothing on the story. Waste of time.
½ March 18, 2017
Technical masterpiece. But I don't see the point of this film.
½ March 16, 2017
WHAT I LIKED: There's no doubt a hat must be tipped to James Cameron for delivering something as original yet wholely well-realised as this. Yes 'Avatar's' incredible world-building (aided by ground-breaking visual effects) and in-depth characters bring its experience to life extremelly well, and the result is a place that feels so real, yet so fantastic at the same time. Thankfully it doesn't loose its intent either, as it's able to delve into some interesting ideas, and keep a visual gasp waiting round every corner.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: It feels very long indeed; too long in fact, and that's mostly because the story loses a lot of drive once it gets in deep.
VERDICT: An impressively fleshed out - if dragged out - piece of film making from a guy who most definitely knows what he's doing.
½ March 12, 2017
I understand what haters hate the most of this movie... the money, the good characters, the plot, the excellent visual effects and the incredible cast. Just because a movie has excellent production budget doesn't mean that is lame. I honestly believe this movie is one of the best histories made -for -movies
March 12, 2017
This film reflects North American history, it's well made.
March 8, 2017
I was about 11 when it was released and first saw it with my dad. Throughout the years I kept coming back to it though. Thi movie can truly be called a piece of art. The images are exceptional, the idea is unique, Zoe Saldana just blown me away, and being honest, you couldn't expect less from James Cameron.
March 5, 2017
Good movie. It's one you watch every few years though.
March 5, 2017
It was visualy stunning...but the story has been done much better..i actually was a tad underwhelmed because of the hype for it.. but it wasnt bad...
i love sci fi .. so for me it was good...not great .. but good
½ March 4, 2017
The directing is amazing, the world is great and it is very beautiful. And that's all that it has going for it. The script is good, but the story itself has been made to death. You can predict it from the first to the last minute. The acting is kinda good, but by making it one of the highest grossing movies and with it getting so many awards it just says, yes, we want more of this story. To which I answer NO. I do not want to see films that I know what is gonna happen from the first to the last minute. The big thing of the movie is "I wanna be there". There is almost nothing more to it.
February 18, 2017
over rated for what it is.
February 15, 2017
Avatar is a great and unbreakable film. This is
So Brilliant! Me and My dad in the cinema. He's gonna love this too.
February 8, 2017
Sem palavras... Simplesmente uma experiência cinematográfica única. Sem igual. Um filme inteligente em sua concepção por não tentar fazer o espectador se perder em um roteiro complicado demais. A ideia aqui é impressionar visualmente; portanto, nada mais certo do que dar prioridade à imagem entregando uma história que é simples, mas muitíssimo bem-contada por sinal!
February 2, 2017
A movie that's pretty to look at and that's it because it's completely unoriginal and HORRIBLY written.
½ February 2, 2017
For being 10 times the amount of money I would normally spend on a movie, I had hoped that this would be worth it. As per my previous stance on 3-D, I was hesitant on going to this film when it first came out. However, since I did some reading up on what forces went on behind this film, I decided to give the 3-D experience a try. What an experience it was! I can see why the film industry was really pushing for more movies to be in 3-D because it is spectacular. The glasses weren't uncomfortable, and if you took them off for a second, it wasn't a terrible color-shifted image, it was just slightly blurry. Although, one thing that 3-D cinema is going to have to fix is to have more things in focus. You can't rely on previous film-making techniques here.

At any rate, if you can get over the blatantly anti-corporation and anti-military message, it's really quite a good movie and should be seen due at least to the fact that this is the reason James Cameron got into making movies in the first place. We can all blame him for ripping off Dances with Wolves (1990) or Pocahontas (1995) but if you can get past that, there's a great movie here, regardless.

What really stands out with this film is its visuals. Despite the amount of CGI used to create the fictional world of Pandora, it's incredibly difficult to tell what is CGI and what is merely a human in front of a green screen. Just by the strength of these visuals alone, this film should be viewed by movie aficionados. Not only was the 3-D technology used to film it revolutionary, but the facial mapping techniques really helped bring these actors to life in their blue, alien bodies.

A stunning visual treat that has yet to be matched, I give Avatar 4.5 stars out of 5.