Awaken Reviews

• Jul 16, 2017

The story-line isn't bad but it just wasn't done well at all. Lot of potential, but it just didn't work. And who was the bad guy near the end she fought so hard? I don't even remember seeing him in the movie at all.

• May 17, 2017

Incredibly bad, despite some decent cast members. Everything about this film is second rate. The female lead is awful. Looks like it was shot on a miniscule budget. Slow and predictable with marginal dialogue. Even the normally decent actors can't believe what they've gotten themselves into and give up. Most of the fighting is very poorly done. The twist obvious from minute one. I'm always amazed that a film can be made this lackluster and miss every opportunity to do something entertaining.

• Mar 25, 2017

well crafted modern thriller had me on the edge of my seat

well crafted modern thriller had me on the edge of my seat

• Feb 19, 2017

This is a low budget movie that's sucks. Not only it was predictable but it was boring. I wasted an hour watching this movie. Pretty stupid I don't recommend anyone to watch this. Don't waste your time.

• Nov 04, 2016

One of those movies that makes you wonder why. Why was it made? Why did the actors agree to appear in it? Why did they write something so entirely predictable and banal. Why is it possible for a movie to be so horribly directed? Why would someone invest money in its production. Why did I waste 60 minutes of my life, that I can never get back, watching it (the film was over 90, but I fast forwarded thru not nearly enough)? Absolute crap.

• Todd S Super Reviewer
    Oct 05, 2016

For a small, independent, real-life horror film, Awaken has a lot of pieces to it's story, there really is a lot going on, in what initially seemed like a cut and dry story. If this film had been done a bit differently, and if it's impressive cast had been used for more than simple cameos, this may have been a much better film. The story begins with Billie (Natalie Burn) waking up on an island, being chased by strangers, and rescued by another group of strangers. She comes to learn that everyone in her group of rescuers woke up as she did, and appear to be hunted for sport. Billie wants to escape to one of the nearby cluster of islands, but learns that attempts have been made, and no one has ever come back, but Billie is a military brat and refuses to accept that. The story here is very well written, especially for this type of film, but everything is so anti-climatic. Just about every scene turns into a fight scene or a shoot out and there is nothing original about that. Honestly, what is the point of having this great story idea if ever scene is going to end up the same way? There is also the fact that the casting is a complete mystery. This film managed to get Darryl Hannah, Edward Furlong, David Keith, and Robert Davi and they simply make cameo appearances in ancillary roles? If that's the case, why even waste the money to bring them in? Awaken had the story, it had the cast, it had the looks, it even had a premium location, but poor dialogue, predictable outcomes, a misused cast, and a painfully horrendous ending absolutely destroyed what could have otherwise been a rather entertaining film.

• May 30, 2016

For a B movie, this was entertaining. The acting is horrific and there were many unnecessary scenes, characters, and subplots. Good thing about it, its gripping right from the beginning and doesn't let go. The general plot is intriguing and the mystery has a good solution. There is much that this movie could do to improve, but keeps you involved the entire runtime. An entertaining B movie. Not much else to say.

• Apr 22, 2016

Review: I must admit, I was expecting this movie to be worse than it was, mainly because it's a low budget Vinnie Jones film but I did stick with it until the end because I was intrigued with the storyline. Don't get me wrong, it isn't anything amazing and I doubt that I would watch it again but it still had a couple of decent action scenes and the wilderness backdrop wasn't too bad. Its about a group of people who wake up in the middle of Island, being chased by some mercenaries, led by Vinnie Jones (Sarge). There main goal is to harvest organs and sell them to an exclusive group of rich people, so when Mao (Daryl Hannah) finds out that her child is dying and needs organs to survive, she turns to Rich (Jason London), who is in charge of the organ harvesting group. When the perfect organs become available for Mao's daughter, the surgeon goes ahead with the operation, which fails and kills her. Meanwhile, Billie Kope (Natalie Burn) and two of the stranded individuals, fight to escape the island and come toe to toe with Rich's henchmen. Billie then finds out that her sister, has been working for Rich and they rekindle there relationship and try to escape together. It sounds quite interesting but it's cheaply made with some dodgy actors. The overall concept wasn't too bad but the script was awful and there wasn't any depth to the characters. Anyway, the movie isn't that great but I have definitely seen worse, with Vinnie Jones in the cast. Passable! Round-Up: This movie was written and directed by Mark Atkins, who is known for making movies that go straight to DVD, like Evil Eyes, Knight of the Dead, Android Cop and Road Wars. This film had low budget written all over it and the, non-heard of actors were pretty poor. Edward Furlong, who became famous after starring in Terminator 2, looked awful and Jason London wasn't the best choice for the villain. Daryl Hannah's career has also gone downhill of late and I haven't seen Robert Davi in a film for some time, so the director didn't really have a cast who are in there prime. Anyway, I doubt that this film will hurt there reputations because there all starring in these mediocre movies to pay bills.  I recommend this movie to people who are into their action/horror/mystery/thrillers starring Edward Furlong, Daryl Hannah Vinnie Jones, Jason London, Natalie Burn, Robert Davi, David Keith and Michael Pare. 2/10

• Mar 07, 2016

Fast-paced, good action scenes: Natalie Burn is a fantastic female lead too! Really enjoyed this film.

• Feb 15, 2016

Preposterously portrayed contrivance of kidnapping for body parts ring on a tropical island.