Awakening the Zodiac - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Awakening the Zodiac Reviews

October 7, 2017
Takes you into the possibility that the infamous killer could be trying to live a normal life and any one thing could set him on his rampage again. It's a simple story line well exicuted but for my taste it needed to connect evidence back to the last crimes in a more tangible way. The references were too vague and if you don't know the lore and facts behind the Zodiac it would be easy to miss some important points.
August 27, 2017
Despite both lead characters being completely unlikable, Awakening the Zodiac is actually better than I was expecting. Certainly less horror, more investigative thriller, is a serviceable theoretical followup to the real-life Zodiac killings. Could probably have used a little more excitement or a lot more logical action though.
½ August 19, 2017
Great Plot, good tempo but poor lead acting (except Harvey) and too obvious twist & turns ruined a movie idea that is 10X better than either Conjuring-type film.
½ August 1, 2017
The acting is not the greatest but the story and some tension with it is worth a watch.
½ July 29, 2017
Just plain bad. Enough said.
½ July 22, 2017
Good movie to watch. It's not the best out there but it's a gem. You will be guessing all the way to the end and then scratching your head trying to figure it out. There are parts where you will jump and then there are parts where you will yell at the characters as if they can hear you. Definitely check it out.
July 12, 2017
I have watched it a total of 9xs so far!
½ July 12, 2017
Good thriller. Good acting.
½ July 9, 2017
Refreshing movie on the Zodiac killer but too predictable.
July 9, 2017
I enjoyed this movie very much, a gripping plot and great acting (you can never go wrong with Shane West). The only issue for me was that many scenes are so dark, one can barely make out what is going on on the screen, but maybe it is better in a theater. Definitely recommend watching!
July 8, 2017
If you love thrillers/suspense films then this is a must see! You don't have to know anything about the Zodiac killer to watch as like the films protagonists you can learn as they do - which I think is one of the great things about the film. The story is an original take on something that has been done before, by having the Zodiac killer in modern times. The cast all give amazing performances, the leads Shane West and Leslie Bibb in particular. They have great chemistry and their scenes together feel natural and not contrived at all. The humour in the film is added in a way that it isn't forced and the light little moments between Mick, Zoe and Harvey are lovely. A must watch and one I would recommend!
July 8, 2017
Out of the gate it showed promise of being a decent movie but it quickly turned into a hot mess shit show for me. Leslie Bibb (Zoe) was absolutely frustrating to watch. At around 1 hour and 11 minutes or so I wanted to jump out of my 4th floor window because It just stunk so damn bad. I don't usually do the review thing but since I wasted almost 2hrs of my life along with $6.00 I thought It only right that I try and save the next person some time and money.

I was gonna go through the parts of the movie that helped me come to this point of writing a review but there's just too much that was disappointing to me about this movie. It could have been so much better. I mean, you have one of the most if not the MOST terrifying crimes of our day, not to mention a crime that has never been solved. To me, that makes it even more terrifying and absolutely perfect for a "real" HORROR movie.

This film just seemed like it was made in a rush and to me it showed in the final product.
July 8, 2017
An unexpected lil Gem of a thriller. Cast is great and it's well directed. Pacing of film is really good and has what every good movie needs, a killer ending.
July 7, 2017
Wasn't sure what to expect with a mix of reviews but I liked the trailer and I like Leslie Bibb. You get the hook from the trailer and it's a fun watch right to the end. This isn't the Avengers so if you want huge special FX it's not here. Its got more thinking, with some good acting and a good script. Shot dark like the x-files
July 5, 2017
Tight film - totally delivered on premise. Looking forward to seeing more from writer/director Jonathan Wright.
Awesome thriller movie!!
July 5, 2017
I found it exciting and action packed. I didn't want to look away in case I missed something. Gets 2 thumbs up in my store!
July 5, 2017
What's with all of the haters? This movie was terrific! Amazing acting and a great thriller! It's too bad only the bitter of all of these arm chair critics post reviews. You can't miss this!
½ June 11, 2017
Top 10 worst movies I have ever seen. We were laughing by the end at how horrible it was. Really pissed I paid to rent it.
June 6, 2017
TRAILER SLEUTHS

The real life, unsolved Bay Area Zodiac killer case gets a fictional exhumation four decades after the murderous spree, when a trio of junk collectors stumble upon canisters of incriminating film. This clever retro take on the YouTube crime clip phenomena presents our innocents with a chance at a $100,000 reward. And we're off.

For the most part, this is a terrifyingly terrific movie, full of creepy, shadowy scenes, hair-raising tension and clever comedic quips. Our trio of trailer trash Sherlocks are very engaging as they stagger into a complicated and dangerous world, not so much for possible riches, but also for adventure. Taunting cryptogram clues, a sinister hood, and creepy voice messages; the Zodiac put the "K" in killer.

Great stuff, but it is almost ruined with a messy, straight forward, by the numbers, uninspiring climax. Which in turn is then inexplicably thrown under the bus with an attempt at an open ended, confusing conclusion. It really does suffer from a proper wrap. "Awakening The Zodiac" needs a rewrite tweak focusing more on mystery than monster. Still a pretty good thrill ride.

- hipCRANK