Away From Her - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Away From Her Reviews

September 2, 2014
I love Julie Christie
½ August 29, 2014
Grant (Gordon Pinsent) just wants to be with his wife of 44 years, Fiona (Julie Christie). But Fiona knows and accepts that dementia is setting in, and she's losing herself. This Canadian film by first-time director Sarah Polley captures Grant's struggles to come to terms with Fiona's journey into senility.

The acting in this simple tale based on an Alice Munro short story is powerful and compelling. The staging and cinematography, however, are odd at times. There are some beautiful scenes, but there are also some scenes that either contain ambiguous symbolism or outright continuity errors. Although the story seems to cover at least a year, all the scenes are shot in winter; characters are always bundled up in heavy coats and scarves. Cross-country skiing is a recurring motif. It's as though Polley is experimenting with different camera and lighting techniques on her first feature, so there is an inconsistent feel to the visuals.

Still, this is a proud Canadian film that is touching and heartfelt.
July 25, 2014
Any exceptional story, portrayed by an able and willing cast & crew
July 22, 2014
really reminiscent of atom egoyan's films, which in my opinion is NOT a compliment, at all. though to be fair, this wasn't quite as bad as an egoyan film, but it was pretty close. i think this "canadian" filmmaking style is just something i personally don't connect to and so that influences the way i evaluate films of this style. i understand that this is a "style" , but to be honest, it just looks like sloppy, self-indulgent filmmaking to me, and the only thing that keeps me from writing these filmmakers (egoyan/poley/every other "canadian" filmmaker) off as completely incompetent is that they somehow seem to have a fan base. this film in particular, was inexcusably dull, and i think that's because it, like every other canadian film, lacked drama and heart. nothing was pushed to the limit, everything was ordinary, the characters went to the brink of conflict and just backed off, spending the DRONING length of the film just talking about how they felt instead of showing it. i also thought the alzheimer's disease wasn't portrayed very realistically - the character seemed to conveniently forget and remember to serve the plot, to the point where it really felt like the character was consciously pretending to have alzheimer's to punish her husband. the other characters also suffered, because they weren't able to establish their relationships/motives - we had no idea how anyone felt about anyone else or why they acted the way they did, so all their actions seemed forced, artificial and purely to serve the rather non-existent plot. the dialogue of course didn't help at all, since the characters spoke in incoherent, cryptic riddles that were supposed to be deep and profound, but in actuality just made the characters even more superficial and less human. i was unable to empathize with any of these characters because i didn't believe that any of them CARED about what was happening - they said some cryptic words, walked around, cross-country skied (which must be one of the most visually boring sports ever) but none of it seemed to lead to anything. the movie inched along at a glacial pace, but it also felt unfinished because nothing happened. i don't know - maybe i'm just not equipped to understand the art of this type of canadian filmmaking, but i think at the core of it, if a film can't make you feel, it's failed as entertainment and as art.
July 14, 2014
I loved the husband's dedication to his wife even when she seemed to be treating him the opposite way. His love for her even went to the extent of reuniting her with her newly found companion. How we all wish for someone like him.
July 10, 2014
Perhaps the saddest movie I have ever seen, and it would not have been affecting without the amazing lead performances. One caveat, I get a little perturbed when one actor gets lauded due to the fact that they have the "glory" role, when the movie is truly held together by the other actor doing the heavy lifting. Julie Christie deserves all accolades headed her way for her work, but Gordon Pinsent deserves the same. Without his understated performance,we wouldn't be affected. We're saddened by Fiona's tragic fade away, but by seeing it through her loving husband's eyes, it's wrenching.
May 1, 2014
I love this film. Julie Christie is so beautiful too!
April 21, 2014
Gordon Pinset is the Canadian DeNiro - without all the mob movies, ok he is the Canadian Robert Duvall.
½ April 15, 2014
I found myself tearing up within the first fifteen minutes of watching this touching and painful story. It hit pretty close to home. Julie Christie's performance was incredible.
April 9, 2014
Amazing to watch, at a certain age. Beautiful and caring. Great performances and thought provoking
February 6, 2014
Sem precisar de apelos dramáticos, faz um retrato comovente da velhice, mostra os danos do mal de Alzheimer, além de revelar ser uma linda historia de amor na terceira idade.
Mas o que torna Longe Dela uma obra-prima, é a atuação de Julie Christie, delicada, elegante, sensível, e acima de tudo chocante, sua performance é digna de todos os prêmios (incluindo o injusto Oscar perdido). Simplesmente fascinante.
February 5, 2014
wow....stunnning.....brilliant...emotional.....touching......what a movie.....i have just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a great movie 2 watch......its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie......i think that julie christie, gordon pinsent, olympia dukakis, michael murphy, kristen thomson, play good roles/parts thorughout this movie.......i think that the director of this drama/romance movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie.......i think that this is such a really emotional movie 2 watch as its such a really sad movie 2 watch.......its got a great cast throughout this movie.......i think that this is such a really sad movie 2 watch......i think that kristen thomson was great throughout this movie.......i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch its so really well directed/written/acted movie 2 watch.......i think that this is such a really sad movie 2 watch but its such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch......its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie.....i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch its such a really sad movie 2 watch but its such a brilliant movie 2 watch.......i think that this is such a great movie 2 watch......i think that this is a really heart breaking movie 2 watch as its just such a really sad movie 2 watch with a great cast throughout this movie.....i think that this is such a beautiful movie 2 watch its a really sad movie 2 watch with a great cast throughout this movie......
November 30, 2013
I hate all the movie you gave me . Please erase them
October 17, 2013
Not mine, never heard of it, don't want it.
September 25, 2013
The dilemma of loosing the one u love to Alzheimer's
September 21, 2013
Absolutely stunning in the quiet way that stories from Alice Munro are. Loved Christie in this role.
September 18, 2013
Overreacted, terrible makeup. Don't waste your time.
½ September 10, 2013
Very very lovely movie about love - enduring love. I enjoyed it immensely
September 6, 2013
i liked her other movie better. but this one was solid.