Ayn Rand: A Sense of Life - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ayn Rand: A Sense of Life Reviews

August 24, 2014
The fascinating life of Ayn Rand from the beginning to the end. Ayn Rand- A Sense of Life explores the author of best sellers The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged's philosophy of living on Earth: Objectivism. The film had an excellent editing that combined photos, footage, cartoon animation and manuscripts of Rand in a logical and rational order. The film did not bore me for a single minute. As much as I want to say that the film was made objectively, I felt that it missed out some of the less glamorous aspects and some more autobiographical details. Regardless, it offers a good introduction for beginners of Objectivism.
½ December 17, 2013
For a figure many believe to be quite interesting, this is one seriously bland documentary.
July 3, 2013
Better than I thought it would be.
November 26, 2012
The so-called driving impetus to modern Republican thought (if only it were true!), as well as famous novelist in her own right, is thumbnail biographied here. Interestingly taking an overview of her famous theory involving free thought and action (and her stand against communism) one is lead to certainly consider actually reading her works about uber-men and the women who love them.
July 13, 2011
ayn rand in her optimistic perfection. rand-philosophy lovers like me will love the documentary, but 2h30 is a little bit too long for those who are being introduced to her work and thoughts.
March 27, 2011
good informative doc
October 20, 2010
Great documentary on Ayn Rand. If you you are interested in Ayn Rand, it's a great movie. If you aren't, it will bore you silly.
September 4, 2009
A very thourough documentary about this often-maligned woman's life. From Ayn's birth in Russia (tumultuous times early last C.), schooling, interest in cinema and heroism, her move to America, start in Hollywood, atheism, courtship, marriage, TV interviews, affairs (which her husband allowed), books, uncomfortableness with her accent, fights with producers, etc. Great for anyone wanting to know the origin and fruition of Objectivist philosophy. She is one of the who I am sad I will never be able to be in her company and enjoy an intellectual conversation. (Though I do have say her views on Israel are bass-ackwards, obviously tainted by her ethnic lineage.)
June 6, 2008
What could have been a inspiring story is nothing but a slowly paced and dryly narrated 2+ hour film. It surprises me this got nominated for best documentary feature.
½ June 5, 2008
Excellent documentary that does a great job of conveying Rand's strength and love of love.
March 3, 2008
Excellent biographical documentary.
½ February 15, 2008
Not sure this gave me a senses of her, but an interpretation by the Director, which falls short.
February 5, 2008
One of my favorite writers. You just have to be a little patient cause it's 143 mins long. I think you need to read some of her books to truly comprehend this modern thinker.
Read, then conquer!
½ December 4, 2007
If I hadn't known Rand was such a compelling character, I would never have guessed from this unbalanced mishmash of boring minutiae and inadequately portrayed partial intellectual biography that does no justice to one of the most brilliantly insightful philosophers of the 20th century.
October 29, 2007
More of a documentary than a movie, but interesting.
½ October 17, 2007
what a woman and story - I was inspired to go change the world and turn it on its head after watching this. She was a remarkable philosopher. Very intellectually inspiring
½ October 9, 2007
Great biography of Ayn Rand. Explores her epistemology in depths other documentaries do not.
September 20, 2007
A great documentary about a literary and philosophical genius.
June 4, 2007
Fascinating, if slow paced.
February 9, 2007
Hmmm....I'm still not sure what to make of her.