Baadasssss Cinema Reviews

• Apr 24, 2013

If you're unfamiliar with blaxploitation, dude! quit being so narrow minded! This is the other All American culture all growd-up!

• Mar 10, 2013

Solid IFC documentary about the history of Blaxploitation films in the 1970s, their cultural importance and their effect on cinema in that period. It could've been more comprehensive but it has several good interviews from many involved, critics, and fans of the genre, like director Quentin Tarantino and Samuel L. Jackson. I'd love to see a more comprehensive documentary on the subject, that really explores the movement more, but this is decent enough for now.

• Apr 14, 2012

A thoroughly entertaining and informative reflective examination of one of the most important waves of the U.S. film industry, the is not only a lot of fun to sit through, but delivers a bevy of great interviews from the era's most important figures. Pam Grier, Fred Williamson, and Gloria Hendry offer some truly engrossing insights with Samuel L. Jackson and the always-enthusiastic Quentin Tarantino presenting viewpoints from a different angle.

• Lucas M Super Reviewer
    Mar 30, 2012

A important and comprehensive study about the blaxploitation cinema from the 70's with the most representative people of this genre. Fresh.

• Mar 22, 2012

Interesting documentary on 1970s "Blaxploitation" movies. Insightful interviews and footage. Needed to be longer though.

• Edgar C Super Reviewer
    May 28, 2011

Oh, no; this is NOT how you are supposed to treat the iconic underground sub-genre of 70s American celluloid. Unlike the great and infamous Ozploitation documentary, "Baadasssss Cinema" (ugh, give me a break) shows its lack of originality and kickass inspiration it required from its very title. Ron O'Neal, Richard Roundtree, Pam Grier, Tamara Dobson, Isaac Hayes... this is not the treatment they deserve. But just like the Ozploitation doc, we have, once more, Tarantino sticking his nose where it isn't required. Why did I see that coming since the beginning? 53/100

• Feb 08, 2011

An all too short look at the Blaxploitation phenomenon, featuring interviews with the stars as well as those who have been influenced by them. Great documentary, I really just wish it was a longer film and had more time to expand on the material presented here. Recommended.

• Chris W Super Reviewer
    Jun 22, 2010

A decent documentary that serves as a pretty good introduction to the genre, despite being unbalanced (lack of much criticism and the negative impact of these films). Had it been lengthier, it would have been better. More criticisms could have been addressed, as well as a more thorough look at these films and their participants. I give the grade extra oints as I am heavily biased towards these films, mainly because I am writing my Master's Thesis over their social and cultural impact.

• May 18, 2010

Documentary on blaxploitation explosion of the early 70s featuring several major players including Fred Williamson, Larry Cohen and Pam Grier. Not much more than a fond look back on a bygone era, which was diluted in short order by profiteers.

• Feb 05, 2010

An extremely short talking heads documentary with some nice Blaxploitation clips and snippets. Quentin Tarantino and his sponge brain shoot off a bunch of facts about why Blaxploitation flicks kick butt, but it’s the tiny interviews with cigar chomping Melvin Van Peebles, Fred Williamson’s ego, and proud Gloria Hendry that I found to be the most interesting. There’s nothing here that diehard fans won’t know, but it’s always nice to see the actors behind these tough cats. VF.