Babes in Arms - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Babes in Arms Reviews

January 27, 2019
The best inspiring musical movie ever made!
January 15, 2018
A feel good musical tribute to vaudeville and the changes they went through with motion pictures. 1001 movies to see before you die.
½ May 2, 2017
My real-time thoughts while watching the movie:
- Garland and Rooney were so talented even at a young age
- Music performances are great, both the vaudeville and Busby Berkley numbers.
- Its philosophy is childish (telling Native Americans to dance away their sadness), but it's kinda fitting for its juvenile subjects.
- What kid wouldn't like this, young people rebelling against ignoring & discouraging parents?
- ....AAAAANNNNNNDDD, a parade of blackface. So offensive and insensitive it's almost laughable...almost.
April 23, 2017
Mickey Rooney steals the show in Babes in Arms, a energetic and charming Rooney/Garland film.
April 15, 2017
Once you get past that the actors that are suppose to be Teenagers, including Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland, look, dress, and sing like 40 plus year olds, this is a great film
½ March 10, 2017
It is a joy to see a young Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney together. That is the big draw as otherwise it is a little outdated. My favorite part of the film is them singing "Good Morning". (First and only viewing - 10/29/2010)
December 29, 2016
There is something magical about Mickey and Judy.
May 21, 2015
Musicals all too often have a plot of nostalgia, and this one is no different: children of vaudeville write a show about the great days of vaudeville, complete with derogatory Indian caricatures & even a blackface number. Mickey Rooney is a comic impersonator, though, and I could listen to Judy Garland sing all day long. Busby Berkeley is one of the truly great directors of musical numbers, but I feel he lacks the skills to direct an entire feature. Oh well...
½ November 12, 2014
A fascinating historical document! The first of the Garland-Rooney collaborations, where their chemistry is undeniable. How apt and prophetic that a rising storm closes down the minstrel show and washes off the blackface! The finale is a treasure. You'll rewind to watch the last eight minutes a second time.
April 9, 2014
The big one with Judy, Mickey (Oscar-nominated), direction by Busby Berkeley, and production by Arthur Freed. Energy-plus with the MGM gloss.
January 1, 2014
rooney garland berkeley= a gr8 time i really liked this one
November 21, 2013
Funny and delightful if a bit thin.
November 21, 2013
Funny and delightful if a bit thin.
½ November 1, 2013
More solid than I thought it'd be. Still not much a fan of Mickey Rooney; he's just not a very good actor. The reason to see this movie is for Judy Garland, and even the comedic parts that come from June Preisser's character. Judy Garland was just so beautiful, and was just a great talent in general. The "Good Mornin'" song was easily the best of the musical numbers, but there were a few other decent ones as well (especially when Rooney wasn't featured).
August 10, 2013
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
½ April 22, 2013
A fun enough musical starring Michey Rooney and Judy Garland, one of Hollywood's most chemistry-laden pair. But this is no masterpiece; the film is peppered with dialogical cliches, and ends with an outspoken (and highly unnecessary) praise to American patriotism.
February 25, 2013
A charming and generally upbeat movie with good pacing (not too short or long). Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland had great performances even at such young ages; they were very animated and put a lot of effort into their roles. Rooney was frighteningly energetic, almost like a puppy dog, but at the same time he could be sad and depressed as well.

I felt like I was going back in time as I watched Babes in Arms, but in more ways than one; it was surprising and disturbing to suddenly come across a minstrel show (within the barn musical) with Garland and Rooney unapologetically pretending to be stereotypical black people, using blackface. It really reminded me that this was a movie from 1939 and people actually put these sorts of spectacles in their movies in order to sell tickets. Not having seen the original musical (but I have read the plot summary), I wonder whether this blackface musical number had anything to do with the musical at all. Seeing as the song "My Daddy Was a Minstrel Man" was not one of the songs from Babes In Arms (the musical), I doubt it very much.

In fact, very few songs in this film were from the original musical. The only ones that are actually sung are Where or When and Babes in Arms which is quite pathetic. My intent in watching this movie was to see the musical Babes in Arms and hear the song My Funny Valentine which is a gorgeous piece, but instead it was a corporate MGM bastardization of the original. Granted, there were some nice songs like Good Morning and I Like Opera/I Like Swing but if this is the only film version of the musical they should try to follow the plot much more closely and absolutely include ALL the original songs. Why even call it Babes in Arms if you're going to do something completely different from the musical?

It was fairly enjoyable to watch but very disappointing if you are at all familiar with the original musical.
November 3, 2012
The very audience orientated film staring the partnership of Judy Garland & Mickey Rooney who is still acting know at nearly 98 years of age.

This is full of cutesy lines & scenes but it truly showed the magic the two had together & although very Hollywood I think it shows a lot of their actual relationship in the film.

It's a film for it's time but you can't not ignore Mickey's passion & energy, he truly is a sensational actor & is truly the films glue.... I can see why there was series of movies for those two.
½ March 6, 2012
May be style over content, but when your film is this stylish, you kinda can't blame the filmmakers ;)
January 4, 2012
The final musical numbers redeemed this one. It almost lost me during the black-face number, which was extremely unnerving.