Babes on Broadway - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Babes on Broadway Reviews

April 18, 2014
Possibly Garland & Rooney's most elaborate musical together; overlong and overly sentimental, but the score includes the Oscar-nominated "How About You?"
April 13, 2014
a sequel of sorts to 1939's 'babes in arms'
December 4, 2011
I have to say, the blackface made me very uncomfortable, however, I enjoyed most of it.
April 14, 2011
Third installment in the "Back-yard musicals" series, which featured Mickey Rooney & Judy Garland (though they always played different parts. Well, the names were changed anyhow) and was always about kids putting on their own musical, with surprising production values and decors that make those from "High School Musical" look positively dowdy.

There's a reason of course that not only the Back-yard musical series, but also the Andy Hardy series (musicals, featuring... Rooney & Garland...) were wildly popular money-makers, and that's because it all works quite well: charismatic a-typical good guy hero, sweet young girl with a phenomenal voice, peppy songs and dance routines, tears, laughter, smiles, woe & a happy end to cap it all off. Behind the scenes there would be no happy end, at least not for Judy Garland. MGM started her - though still a child at first - on the merry-go-round of uppers and downers that would plague her life & career, eventually ending them both. But the films of both series were being turned out at such a rapid rate - and Garland also starred in other films on her own, such as "The Wizard of Oz" which heightened her profile and bankability considerably - and were so profitable to the studio that giving her a rest just would not do, and the rest if sad history.

Still, I hope I didn't sour the films with that, as they are a lot of fun, and both Rooney & Garland are at their (juvenile) best here, clowning around and infecting the audience with their glee. Garland would go on to mature parts and play more challenging roles, but everything that made her such a massive star is already in this film. And Rooney would... uh, I have no clue what Rooney did after he could no longer play the juvenile, which he managed to continue doing for an exceptionally long time. He disastrously married Ava Gardner, and became a wrinkled little old man who feeds off past glory & media-whoring? I should look into that.
January 10, 2011
Another great musical with magnificent numbers and performances.
December 12, 2010
It seemed like some of the scenes drug on and it was never going to end.
½ November 9, 2010
can anyone resist the mickey rooney speeching about saving the children from rickets? XD
November 7, 2010
Definitely the best of the Rooney/Garland series. 15 minute long minstrel show at the end was uncomfortable to sit through.
September 2, 2010
Amazing...full on fun....Black and white movies with mickey rooney!!..Rock!!!
½ April 14, 2010
½ April 14, 2010
73/100. Great fun, Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland are so much fun to watch. The highlight is Mickey Rooney imitating Carmen Miranda! It is hysterically funny and a must see. Great musical numbers and of course Judy Garland's magnificent voice would enhance any film. Great score, well written. It's a little overlong but I was never bored.
August 13, 2009
This little musical made me smile and laugh...that says a lot. Judy Garland..superb, Mickey Rooney..hilarious. This was GOOD!
December 10, 2008
My favorite of the Mickey/Judy movies. Fun songs, good parodies, and some neat camera work (one of my favorite war movies too).
August 13, 2008
One of the best movies ever made! Mickey Rooney was too cute;)
July 20, 2008
It's such a cute movie. I love to comedy, the music, and the upbeat attitude. Does Tommy ever give up? No; he and his gang keep the audience routing for them until the very end.
May 27, 2008
one of my favorite movies of all time
November 25, 2007
I love this movie so much, Garland and Rooney are my favorite pair ever they are both fantastic in it.
½ November 18, 2007
Another fantastic entry by Garland and Rooney. Garland is classy and totally adorable, Rooney chews up every scene he's in. The performances here are incredibly tight, with Judy starting to show the sophistication she will add to her range as an adult. The music numbers are mind blowing, with Berkley completely commanding the camera for incredibly complex and long panning shots. Highly recommended.
April 13, 2004
[font=Courier New]When I say this movie is "happy", I really do mean it. You can't get any better with a movie directed by Berkley with Gershwin songs starring that wonderful duo Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney! This films stays true to the stereotypical Judy-Mickey musical; a bunch of "babes" trying to get on "Broadway". (pun intended) Charming, fun, filled with stuck-in-your-head-forever songs, and extremely elaborate dances. Judy and Mickey make an awesome team, though in the film they were both romantically attatched to other people. This movie is easy to watch and lacks the stress and tension that other films possess. There are no car chases, murders, skinny women in miniskirts, or guns; but this movie remains one of the most entertaining films to watch! I recommed it for people who have never seen a Judy/Mickey film or musical and want to get a taste of what it is like![/font]