Baby It's You - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Baby It's You Reviews

March 28, 2011
Haunted me as a child ... but not in a bad way.
December 28, 2010
This movie is more than just your standard formula 80's teen movie. It really is a social commentary film about class and opportunity in America. The young-hot-shot guy who is filled with the confidence of youth, but comes from a poor family and neighborhood (with no real support network) goes for the pretty jewish girl, who's father is a successful Doctor, and who has a family that supports her emotionally and financially. This movie is more honest in my opinion about the two different worlds that these two come from and how that in the end, ultimately reveals how they ultimately never had a chance to begin with. Nuff said, check this one out.
½ September 4, 2010
A cool romance..takes you back...with good soundtracks throughout the movie
December 5, 2009
A pretty painful watch, but so good. Sayles and Arquette at their best.
September 5, 2009
So, I'm on kind of a weird "stalker" quest...to watch all of Robert Downey Jr's movies (not just because he's gorgeous, but I want to see his progression as an actor). Well, I blinked and missed his part...after a very slow fast forward through the movie again, I saw a brief flash of his face on the dance floor in the high school prom scene. So, that was a bit of a disappointment!

I had expected to hate this movie based mostly on the Netflix rating and the fact that it was from 1983 and I'd never even heard of it. What a surprise! It was really quite good.The plot was intelligent and definitely kept me hooked. Vincent Spano was excellent in the sexy bad boy role and I really like Rosanna Arquette. Definitely worth renting...
Harlequin68
½ August 6, 2009
Written and directed by John Sayles, "Baby It's You" is on the surface a genuinely heartfelt romance. Like a lot of Sayles' other movies(this is his only studio movie to date), it also works on a political level as it relates to perceptions and class.

It is 1967 and Jill Rosen(Rosanna Arquette) is a high school senior in Trenton, New Jersey who is interested in becoming an actress and has auditioned for the lead in the school play. Sheik(Vincent Spano), a new student, asks her out for a date which she at first declines but eventually succumbs to his charm.(I thought Sheik was originally a Rudolph Valentino reference and no doubt he is handsome. I was shocked at the real reason for the nickname which is revealed late in the movie.) He is going in the opposite direction as Jill, rarely attending his own classes and occasionally attending hers.

Inside of the cocoon of their high school lives and routines, Jill and Sheik come together but things change as they move out into the wider world and encounter different attitudes and people that have an effect on them. "Baby It's You" starts in a world that still resembles the 1950's in many ways set to a Frank Sinatra soundtrack but ends up in the conflicted 1960's, minus any reference to Vietnam. And to its credit, the movie does end on a truly lovely note.
½ June 19, 2009
I love Rosanna Arquette and this is one of her earliest films. It's a coming of age story about a teenage girl in the 1960s from a white collar family who falls for "the Shiek" a boy from the wrong side of the tracks...same old story but really done nicely in this old film. I enjoy it every time I see it as well as the great retro soundtrack.
½ May 2, 2009
Likeably movie and I thought Vincent Spano was cute.
½ March 14, 2009
I absolutely loved it!
½ November 2, 2008
Actually between a 6/10 and 7/10 -- Sayles's class-consciousness is telling as always, and the director is so good at creating complex, persuasive characters that one is tempted to overlook narrative weaknesses, especially in the final third of the film.
August 13, 2008
If it's John Sayles.... I'm in.
½ July 17, 2008
A few years before John Hughes insulted us all with his horrendous view of American teen life and class conflict, Sayles made this very realistic and non melodramatic film about a poor boy and middle-class girl in love in Trenton, NJ in the early 1960s. Arquette and Spano are amazingly natural in the leads that in front of a fine soundtrack filled with gems from the era.The sound track also features early Springsteen songs which chronologically do not match the time period but do fit the mood of the piece and enhances many moments. Sadly, not released on DVD.
½ June 19, 2008
Rosanna Arquette gives a very naturalistic performance but John Sayles' screenplay lacks focus, making this hard to get through at times.
½ April 13, 2008
Another excellent John Sayles film - this one perfectly nails the confusion of the transition from school to college/employment, with the usual acute understanding of class/ethnic relations.

Jill is middle-class, pretty, popular and a good student. Sheik is working-class, a rebel who styles himself after Frank Sinatra. Their relationship is awkward but heartfelt - and then school ends. Jill becomes a small fish in a big pond at college, trying to redefine herself - and Sheik tries to pursue his dream of being the next Frank.

As the summary for this film recounts, the studio wanted to end this at high school. It's true that the film gets uneven after the two characters go their separate ways ... but that's mostly the point, and the lovely bittersweet ending flags that up perfectly.

Arquette and Spano are both excellent: charismatic and sympathetic, showing youthful openness and enthusiasm beginning to merge into adult self-knowledge. Finally, the soundtrack is great - period music is combined with Sinatra, and Bruce Springsteen allowed his songs to be used here for the first time in films, to great effect.