Baby's Day Out - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Baby's Day Out Reviews

½ November 2, 2014
Cute movie. That one scene in the park basically makes up for all of the boring repeated scenes.
October 5, 2014
If you want good cheap slap stick humour this is the film for you. Some great laugh out loud moments - it's a ridiculous film but still makes me laugh a lot
½ September 3, 2014
It seems like a cute family comedy. But 'Baby's Day Out' is filled with too much cringe worthy and overdone slapstick and it seems like the baby is the only smartest character.
August 31, 2014
The best movie for Comedy loving people...
½ August 17, 2014
Abysmally unfunny and inept in almost every way, Baby's Day Out is a stillborn comedy that never should've been born.
August 10, 2014
Targeted towards younger audiences as its main demographic, Baby's Day Out can still be entertaining to some adult fans of goofy slapstick comedy.
½ August 4, 2014
(First viewing - Childhood)
½ August 4, 2014
I'm sure you've heard some scathing, but rather comedic reviews of "Baby's Day Out" and thought to yourself that it would be a lot of fun to rent and watch with your friends, but it really isn't. The movie isn't terrible, but it's just a knockoff of "Home Alone" and not nearly as funny. The plot concerns three bumbling criminals, Eddie (Joe Mantegna), Norby (Joe Pantoliano) and Veeko (Brian Haley). Looking to make it into the big leagues of crime, they kidnap "Baby" Bink Cotwell (Adam and Jacob Worton) and send a ransom to his parents. No sooner do they take their eyes off the child that he escapes and leads the villains on a long chase all across the city.

This is a slapstick comedy aimed at really little kids and I'm sure they will enjoy it, but as an adult it gets tedious and frustrating. The problem is that the criminals who are chasing Baby Bink are so stupid you kind of lose interest in the plot. I get that without the baby escaping there would be no movie but these guys are so dumb they would be dead within minutes in the real world. They're getting hit in the head with hammers, getting run over, getting set on fire, getting attacked by animals, receive numerous crotch shots, get beaten up by random strangers and even fall down hundreds of feet when they chase Baby Bink around a construction site. The only reason these guys don't get caught within thirty minutes of the plot is that everyone else in this world is either equally stupid or has absolutely no peripheral vision whatsoever. There is a scene where Baby Bink is crawling through New York Traffic and not only does nobody notice except for the bad guys chasing him, but the baby never gets scared of the loud noise and he crosses the street just fine. It's not that I wanted the baby to get run over, but when a camera man points his camera at the baby on live television and the only three people who notice in the city are our bumbling criminals the movie loses all believability. Yes I realize the movie is not supposed to be realistic, but "Baby's Day Out" wants to be a live action cartoon and it just doesn't work. So it's pretty much established that the baby is so low to the ground that no one notices him. Fine. In that case then, shouldn't he get stepped on while inside huge crowds at the mall? I'm not asking for the baby to get hurt, I'm asking for some kind of rules to this universe. "Harry Potter" has rules, and that was all about magic!

While watching the movie I was wondering to myself why it wasn't working when it is so similar to another John Hughes piece, "Home Alone". My theory is that with the Macaulay Culkin movie the criminals were dumb but there really wasn't any reason for them to give up trying to catch Kevin. He had seen their face and would report them to the police so it's an "in for a penny, in for a pound" sort of thing. Because the film is mostly set inside a single house filled with booby traps, the villains figured there was only so much punishment that could be thrown at them before they triggered every single one and also, they were dumb enough to keep falling for the traps but intelligent enough to realize that they were grown men and could probably, eventually outsmart or out muscle the kid they were after. Here, the villains have the baby and they've given their ransom demands. Who cares if they don't have the baby? Just collect the money, give the police a bogus lie about where he is and then you're home free! Yeah that sounds cruel but come on, these guys aren't good guys stuck in a rut, they're bank robbers and kidnappers! The fact that every single thing that could go wrong with them goes wrong should maybe clue them in to the fact that this just isn't their day. They should just give up, particularly after getting set on fire while police officers are standing there oblivious (the dumbest police officers I've ever seen in a movie by the way). No matter how hard the movie tries you just can't get over that little voice in your head that tells you that falling dozens of feet onto a metal girder would hurt you so badly you would just throw in the towel.

For positive points, I will admit that the gorilla they use in the film is actually really good (far better than the one on the Dvd cover) and that it's hard not to get emotionally attached to the baby crawling around. Nevertheless I found the movie to be a chore to get through because it's so repetitive and so predictable. I can't really recommend it to anyone except for the littlest kids who haven't seen "Home Alone" or any "Looney Tunes" Cartoons. (Widescreen version on Dvd, June 22, 2014)
June 29, 2014
Though not many people like this film, I enjoyed it a lot. This film definitely works as a family film though in places falls down as a comedy. The plot is simple and involves a baby journeying into the city based on a book he read while being chased by three kidnappers. I love the soundtrack in this film and there are some genuinely funny quotes and the baby is too cute for words! "Head back to the Tick Tock and retrieve the Boo-Boo, I repeat, head back to the Tick Tock and retrieve the Boo-Boo!" (That line is in reference to the fact that the baby says Boo Boo instead of Book)
June 25, 2014
Ok but nothing to write home about even for kids
May 23, 2014
For the most part, I was delighted with the set design, the shots of the adorable baby, the tonal evenness, the bumbling goons, and the endless bonks to the head and kicks to the groin.
April 13, 2014
Not my usual fare but the kids wanted to see it. Just bearable.
½ April 12, 2014
14%
Fuck the pain away,
½ January 28, 2014
Sickeningly cute, way past the point of obnoxiousness.
December 24, 2013
This movie is so Bad. For three people going after a baby, REALLY.
November 28, 2013
Taking elements from Home Alone (baffling idiot robbers/kidnappers), Baby's Day Out may be one movie that you want to stay in for.
½ October 30, 2013
H pio teleia tainia!!!!naiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii ta spaei trela!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
½ October 20, 2013
One of my all-time favs. Wanted to watch once again since I have one about that age now. Ranks up there with Milo and Otis and both Babes as one of the best childrens films ever.
September 4, 2013
I don't know why I've seen this, and I don't know why I would dare to see it again.
August 27, 2013
It's Home Alone in a big city with an adorable baby. This is the type of movie that you can just sit down without any cares in the world and just laugh away. It was one of my favorite movies as a child and it still holds up today as just being an adorably mindless film with a super simplistic plot and some super hilarious scenes.