Back to the Beach - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Back to the Beach Reviews

½ October 19, 2016
I don't like the excessive sexuality, but otherwise an enjoyable flick. If it took itself seriously, it wouldn't work.
August 1, 2016
Way better than I ever could've expected. A lot of fun and has a great sense of humor about itself.
March 31, 2016
Well...this movie is very corny. It is amazing how awful it really is. The cameos are funny in this, but the main story is dull. I certainly would not advise people to see it unless they knew what they were getting into.
February 7, 2016
This movie WAS my childhood. I watched it so many times and I was sure that when I was older I was going to be partying on a beach constantly, probably having slumber parties with my girlfriends and surfing. Didn't exactly turn out that way....
December 17, 2015
Can't believe I hasn't heard of this before today. My good American came over for a movie day and we watched it as it's one of her favorites, and I loved it. So funny and entertaining. Will definitely watch it again in the near future. 6/10
July 2, 2013
Enjoyable homage to the 60's surf movies starring Frankie and Annette, plays along instead of mocking them, just having fun in the sun and giving the audience, a gleeful trip down memory lane.
When burned out Frankie decides to take a vacation with his beautiful and perky wife and his surly punk son, they stop on the way to see there grown up daughter who lives in their old stomping grounds of the beautiful beach. Along the way the couple have a good ole time with pajama parties and crash the scene of their daughter shacked up with a surf bum, they sing and dance and just have fun! Fun movie for all those who love the old days and fondly remember the surf movies for their easy going ways and not for their film plots.
½ April 14, 2013
Anette and Frankie are terrific parodies of themselves. Sadly, if you watch closely you can see how unsteady she is in several scenes. I don't think Pee Wee adds anything to the movie; his cover of Surfin Bird is awful. OTOH, the Jamaica Ska scene with Fishbone and Anette and the Warm California Sun with Frankie, Connie Stevens and Dickie Dale are terrific. Good movie for a rainy Labor Day Monday.
March 22, 2013
watched this movie so freakin much as a kid, I know the lines in my sleep.
March 20, 2013
Back to the Beach was something that I thought was pretty awesome as a kid. It sucks in modern times but remains a curiosity from the 80's as how did a major studio put out a beach movie filled with stale baby boomer appearances and relying on the power of Frankie and Annette? Yes beach party movies can be fun and way entertaining but not really here. Aside from the great Pee-Wee doing Surfin Bird this is pretty much a dud
February 5, 2013
classic, a must see!
December 19, 2012
A wicked satire on the beach pictures of the 1960's featuring many of the original stars. Especially funny is Bob Denver doing a hilarious monologue on his role as Gilligan from the classic TV series!
December 7, 2012
Worth finding and watching!
½ November 11, 2012
I would like to see this on netflix
½ June 12, 2012
How can you not like this??? So corny...I LOVE it. Good clean fun, maybe too clean for people who like crap like "The Dictator".
½ October 25, 2011
Loved this flick about Frankie & Annette going back for another beach bash. Couple of great scenes and Dick Dale's cameo with 80's haircut make it worth seeing for all beach party movies :)
½ July 12, 2011
This movie was good. B-
½ March 23, 2011
My favorite movie of my childhood.
½ January 3, 2011
When a couple decide to visit their daughter at their old beach resort, trouble and mayhem follow them at every turn. An updated 80's version of the old "Beach" movies from the 60's brings out an all star cast with a few great songs. Fans of the cast make this cult classic a must see and own!!!!!!!!!!!!
December 6, 2010
love this movie ..to think i find it after so long of looking for it online i was thinking wow paul reubens in it got to find it
November 5, 2010
Crap that i liked as a kid. Features Frankie and Annette all old and trying to cash in on nostalgic value for the 80's. featuring Lori Laughlin, Bob from UHF and a gallery of TV folk like Gilligan, Wally and the Beaver and I think Dobie Gillis is in this too. Dick Dale has a cheesy cameo but I think the only great thing and watchable thing about this is the Pee-Wee Herman appearance in which he rock the Surfing Bird. Poppa Ooo Mau Mau or however you spell it.

Update: I picked this up at a thrift store for 50 cents on VHS. That Annetet sure was stunning, Id say even more than Lori Laughlin. But aside from referential comedy (Gilligan and beach movies) this has nothing going for it aside from PW. Also it was cool to know that the kid from this was the "I want my 2 dollars" paperboy from Better Off Dead