Back to the Future Part II - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Back to the Future Part II Reviews

February 10, 2016
A whimsical, witty, and hugely enjoyable sequel that did the best possible job that it could with its wonderful predecessor. It's not a perfect movie but I think it's a visually inventive ride that is still a total blast to watch. The characters are just as zany and entertaining as the first and it's a very underrated sequel.
January 29, 2016
There are 2015 predictions that actually happen in 2015 in this movie! It's my favorite movie!!!
January 14, 2016
Not as good as the first,but still,WOW.
½ January 11, 2016
Although not as strong as the first movie, it's still entertaining
January 5, 2016
Part 2 was the first BTTF film I saw and used to consider it my favorite one. Unfortunately, The October 21st screening I attended made me realize just how underwhelming it is compared to the first BTTF and even the third film. It's not a bad movie, it just has a lot of issues with it.

Cons: Marty acts like a total butthead, George McFly is non existent, a tad too many callbacks to the first movie, and there's a lot of inconsistencies with its time travel-esque plot which seriously affects the movie seeing how time travel is the whole focus of the series.

Pros: The set design in the "future" looks nice along with many other environments in the movie, Biff is a great villain, Alan Silvestri's film score is still great, and I LOVE the movie's ending

In the end: Weak sequel. Great ending. But Part III is better.
½ January 3, 2016
Back to the Future Part II doesn't quite live up to the first one, but it comes close. It has a little too much going on, some of the logic doesn't make as much sense, and some of the prosthetics used for aging don't look quite as good as the original. That being said, it features one of the most iconic settings in cinema history when they travel to the "future", and obviously the acting and sense of adventure is just as strong as the first, and the movie ends with an even stronger cliffhanger than the first. I also liked how they included several hints throughout this movie at what's to come in part iii. When I was younger this was always my favorite of the series, and it's clear why that is. There's so much time travel and craziness, and it doesn't let up, but unfortunately the story gets a little too cluttered because of it. Still, it's a great movie regardless.

Personal Grade: S+
Technical Score: 85%
½ January 3, 2016
Some catchy tricks but overall just repeating prequel's formula.
December 23, 2015
Good sequel. The cliffhanger was horrible and it definitely isn't as good as the first but it's an incredible enjoyable film.
December 20, 2015
The cast is back, the car is back - a well done romp to the future (now almost the exact present) which makes for some great adventures. Recommended.
December 17, 2015
Part 2 was the first BTTF film I saw and used to consider it my favorite one. When I was younger I thought the effects in the future were so creative, but over the years I went to the first BTTF as the best one. I still think the future scenes are very creative and I love the ending when Doc sends Marty that letter which took almost 70 years to deliver.
Unfortunately, The October 21st screening of Part 2 I attended made me realize just how underwhelming it is compared to the first BTTF and even the third film. I hated that plot point of Marty not wanting to be called "chicken", WHICH WASN'T EVEN A PLOT POINT IN THE FIRST MOVIE. Marty acts like an idiot, Biff is a good villain but he feels a bit underused, and I never thought I'd be so happy to see that trailer at the end for Part 3...

P.S. I liked Part 3 before this epiphany of mine had occurred.
December 16, 2015
how to watch the video
½ December 6, 2015
The third best movie of all time.
½ December 5, 2015
A great sequel. Not as good as the first, as I used to think when I was younger, and a bit of a cluttered mess, but damn, it's still just to much fun.
December 4, 2015
It's got an darker tone then the last one, and an awesome future.
½ November 21, 2015
"Back to the Future Part II" is not up there with the first one, but it still is fun to watch as you got Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd working together as it is filled with great special effects, fantastic music by Alan Silvestri, great direction by Robert Zemeckis, and some nice action moments. However, some effects are dated while I do wish if the opening wasn't re-shot or Crispin Glover leaving his role behind. Nevertheless, it is a fun sequel and really worth watching.
½ November 21, 2015
Putting aside all cheesiness this sandwiched sequel may contain, I still found this film to be quite entertaining, in large part to the performances of Fox and Lloyd. Robert Zemeckis just knows how to make time travel work on a cinematic level. It would be awesome to see him make another film about time travel, especially with the amazing technology Hollywood has. It doesn't even have to be a populist comedy. Zemeckis seems to do quite well with the dramas, so I'm game for anything. Alright Spielberg, make this happen!
Steve Grady
½ November 18, 2015
"Back To The Future: Part II" is a good sequel to 1985's "Back To The Future". The acting is good mainly from "Michael J. Fox" and "Christopher Lloyd". "Back To The Future: Part II" has an okay plot to it. The antagonist in this film "Biff" portrayed by "Thomas F. Wilson" he is just a aggravating guy, in the middle you just want him to die. In the end does he get justice? NO, not really. This is what annoyed me in the movie. The special effects in this movie are okay, nothing mind blowing. Music in this movie is good some parts are thrilling, mainly towards the end of the movie. If you like the original "Back To The Future" I suggest watching this film, it's still a good movie. And I give "Back To The Future: Part II" a 6.5/10.
½ November 14, 2015
The follow up to the 1985 classic that follows up on the cliffhanger of the original film of what happens to Marty, Doc and Jennifer after jetting into the future. Probably the more convoluted of the films since there are mutliple stops within the timeline from the future 2015, the regular and alternate 1985 and the 1955 creating doubles for both of the leads in the period, Back to the future is probably the most fun seeing what future tech actually has come to frutition since we are now in 2015, along with the retrofiting of the Delorean with the ability to fly and organic fuel, but also seeing them return to 1955 hunting future Biff as he tries to hand off the Sports Alamnac in a get rich quick scheme which will throw the whole timeline into a downward style, having to hid themselves from their counterparts while interacting with the same villains and such in order to preserve the timeline. Not as classic as the original but still fun and goofy in other arenas as one of the few mainstream movies at the time to really play with alternate timelines.
November 10, 2015
So how accurate was 'Back to the Future: Part 2's vision of 2015? Predicting video calls in addition to holograms was spot on and you could maybe count half a point for hover-boards considering these handle-less segways have people believing they look as cool as they would be on actual hover-boards but hover-cars, auto-fitting clothes and Michael Jackson advertising tortillas proved too ambitious. Admittedly I am guilty of being overly ambitious through thinking this sequel would have been more different than its predecessor.

The original was enjoyable and inventive but the majority of the action was rather pedestrian, particularly when Marty travelled to the past where it tended to entail juvenile behaviour with Biff and his cronies. 'BTTF: Part 2' quickly addresses this by raising the stakes through using three timelines and showing the implications of time travel on the town instead of specifically Marty's family. Problems are subsequently created however because of the disintegrating logic associated with using numerous timelines while the movie also frustratingly refocuses back on Marty and Biff, completely forgetting the neighbourhood issues which were previously hinted as being a significant aspect. Furthermore, the choice to return to the same past events as the first film had me feeling like I had time travelled, but in an annoying way since I had no need to re-visit the past of two days ago. Marty basically retreads his old steps in order to prevent/change certain incidents. Bet they thought they were being smart. Unfortunately, despite incorporating a couple interesting scientific ideas, retreading the same steps fails to provide enough new material for audiences and ultimately came across as lazy writing.

After all this ranting, I still have to congratulate it for maintaining the delightfully fun tone and while we are not yet gifted the ability to visit the future, this franchise's easy-to-watch nature is ideal for passing the time.
November 8, 2015
While it's nowhere near as tight a script as the first, this highly ambitious sequel's involved narrative is brilliantly juxtaposed against complex-less characters and goofy timey-wimey exposition. Darker yet sillier, it weaves through the first film with such wonderful ease. An utterly watchable, and at times genius, series bridge.