Bad Ass - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bad Ass Reviews

½ November 6, 2016
If you miss Charles Bronson Death Wish like action flicks you'll enjoy this. Uneven but fun and Trejo is great.
June 25, 2016
This movie is bad ass
½ December 30, 2015
Love the spaghetti gangster stuff, Danny is a 71 year old Jason Statham. Imagine 25 years later ... when you are on social security and bored and a Nam vet ... why not. Every bit as good as a senior citizen James Bond.
December 17, 2015
Wasn't expecting 5 star quality but was pleasantly surprised.
December 17, 2015
It starts pretty much the way you'd expect it to and is mostly enjoyable, throwaway entertainment. But the climax with the bus chase scene? What the hell? It was like somebody accidentally spliced the climax of the Arnie/Bellushi movie Red Heat into Bad Ass. Seriously, I've never seen that happen in a film before and can't imagine what the director was thinking in doing so.
½ December 4, 2015
worst fight choreography, dialogue and acting i have seen in the last few years. this movie is the equivalent of a hairy, unwashed ballsack,
June 25, 2015
Getriatrisessa vigilantekomediassa Danny Trejo lähes näyttelee. Miehekästä hubaa.
June 22, 2015
It was an okay film, I wasn't expecting these, but this is badly enjoyable if you don't expect too much. It was like watching "Death Wish" for the YouTube generation and if nothing is quite what it should be, its easy disposable entertainment. So for this being okay after Danny Trejo coming out of his hit "Machete" and deliver a solid performance in this new movie, I give "Bad Ass" a C.
May 9, 2015
Crap writing, crap acting, crap directing and WAY TOO MUCH political correctness!
½ May 5, 2015
Gotta love Danny Trejo, but he can't really carry this tongue-in-check vengeance/gangster film. It's OK - some funny moments, a decent bus chase, but nothing of significance happens and there's certainly nothing new or unique.
March 27, 2015
Very enjoyable and I liked the mostly realistic action. Contains a solid story that never swerves and Danny Trejo was a good cast choice. I believe it would've made good money if it was put in theaters.
March 4, 2015
It's often difficult to tell what's bad on purpose or just badly handled. The cargo shorts and fanny pack? Purposely funny. The slack pacing? Probably not.
½ December 27, 2014
Typical Trejo, but pretty solid action flick.
½ November 24, 2014
pretty lame but a few funny moments
November 9, 2014
bad ass is truly bad ass pretty solid movie can be boring at times but it is good
November 1, 2014
A nice balance of seriousness and fun. Danny Trejo is always a treat.
October 1, 2014
Fictional story about Epic Beard Man.

Looks a lot like Fidel Castro with the beard.
½ September 14, 2014
good movie mejor que machete y machete kills good job..
½ September 1, 2014
This film certainly suffers from inconsistencies in tone. Most of the time you're not sure whether you're meant to laugh at the film, or with it. It's a combination of sorts, look at Danny Trejo's ridiculous getup in the poster. He has a fanny pack for fuck's sake. That, very clearly, was meant to be purposely funny. But I get the feeling that the film is just simply much too empty and hollow to really sustain itself. It's an internet skit taken way too far. I would've been entertained if the film would've been 10-15 minutes long. I really do believe that this is a YouTube short film at best. But, unfortunately, they decided to make this into a feature-length film. Look, I love Danny Trejo and everything, the guy is tough and I certainly wouldn't wanna fuck with him given his background, but it's clear that the guy isn't a good actor. But he's got that charm, believe it or not, where it's actually really fun to watch him in a movie, even if he's bad. But even he can't save this movie from just the absolute bottom. It's certainly not the worst action film I've ever seen, it's not even as bad as Transformers 2, but as far as action scenes go, this movie is actually pretty piss poor. At least the hand-to-hand fight scenes, the climactic chase sequence is actually pretty good. The thing with Danny Trejo, while I believe he could fuck me up in a fight any day of the week, and twice on Sunday, he's never really been the most agile. He's never gonna be mistaken for Jackie Chan or Iko Uwais. He mostly does a lot of punching and kicking. Sometimes he uses guns. The point is that there's usually a lot of smoke and mirrors to cover up the fact that Danny, for the most part, is practically immobile. I certainly don't blame him for that as he was 68 at the time of this film's release, but the Machete franchise, because of how over-the-top it is, and Robert Rodriguez in general, has found a way to hide those weaknesses in a way that this film simply doesn't care to do. Because of that Danny, for the first time in all the years I've been watching him, looked old. I KNOW he's old, but in movies they've found a way to work around that and make him look like an unstoppable killing machine. This movie fails miserably at that. Danny still does a lot of ass kicking, but there's no real sense of rhyme or reason to it. He just goes around kicking people's asses just for the hell of it. They try to make it so he discovers, through the death of his friend, whom he's out to avenge, corruption that leads all the way back to the mayor of the town. It's a really piss-poor attempt at a story, if you hadn't noticed. And what's with Ron Perlman only appearing in 2-3 scenes? I realize he was probably cast in order to secure some funding for the film, might not have been much, but still. Or maybe he was just too busy with Sons of Anarchy to be featured more prominently in the film, but it's still disappointing to see him used so little. The film has very severe tonal issues. There's this one scene where Frank tortures a guy for information by sticking his hand in the garbage disposal. It turns into a pretty blood and violent scene, but it somehow doesn't fit with the film's more 'laid back' approach to action. Frank goes ahead and makes a joke about leaving this guy without one hand for the rest of his life, but the scene just feels completely out of place. There's also the requisite romantic subplot. And boy, oh boy, let me tell you that the attempt at creating a romantic attraction between Danny Trejo and Joyful Drake is embarrassingly bad. They just did not click together and their dialogue was just horrendous. And the ending with Frank, finally being accepted into this family, is incredibly gag-worthy. It's not that I felt the age-difference wasn't a big deal, because it really isn't, it's just that there was no chemistry between the two. And you can immediately pick up on it, there's no real pretense about it, I don't think the film really even tries that badly to convince you that this could conceivably be a real couple, so there's that. Its purpose there to give Frank a reason to kick the main villain's ass. The rest of the romantic interactions between Vega and Amber is simply filler. The film is very obviously corny and silly, so for the most part you laugh at it, but this is an example of what happens when you make a full length movie off a 4-minute YouTube video. You get what you get. I plan on watching the sequel though, so hopefully that's a little better. This film offers a few chuckles, but nothing else.
August 14, 2014
So bad it's good in a way