Bad Dreams Reviews

• May 16, 2019

Take the rating with a grain of salt as I'm no longer a fan of most '80s horror. While I was growing up they were amazing and set the foundation for my love of horror. But most of them have aged horribly, including Bad Dreams. I couldn't finish the whole thing, so may be the ending salvaged it.

• Mar 03, 2019

interesting story but theres a whole lot to hate about this thing

interesting story but theres a whole lot to hate about this thing

• Jan 29, 2019

I agree: quite underrated.

I agree: quite underrated.

• Jul 18, 2017

A very competent execution of a braindead slasher concept that has a few fresh hiccups along the way.

• May 17, 2017

This was disappointing. As much as I tend to love 80's horror, this one was missing the classic edge that many of them had. The story wasn't a bad idea, but the execution of it didn't do it any favors. Ultimately, I would say that it is safe to skip this one.

• Dec 31, 2016

Cult mass suicide leaves on survivor in a coma for 13 years. When she awakens the cult leader appears in her visions as her therapy group members die in painful deaths. Richard Lynch well cast here but can only take a film so far.

• Jul 11, 2016

Bad Dreams will not go down as one of the 80's most promising gems but it does have some creepy moments and a surprising finale. Definitely worth watching.

• Aug 16, 2015

While on the surface it may seem like just a Freddy ripoff, and yes, that's what the studio was trying to cash in off of, but it really stands on its own. It's fun, got a likeable cast and is unique. Plus it showcases the awesome Richard Lynch.

• Oct 01, 2014

BAD DREAMS manages to be simultaneously a by-the-numbers and an idiosyncratic late 1980s horror tale. On paper, it feels like it must have been heavily inspired by certain elements of the NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET franchise: a traumatized heroine, a horribly burned villain, and explorations of various dream states and hallucinations; beyond that, though, it puts its own spin on the concepts, and the basic hook - involving the lone survivor of a cult mass suicide - is kind of an intriguing one. It also does some interesting things, visually, in its presentation of dreams, memories, and hallucinations. That said, the actual progression of the narrative, at least for the first two-thirds, is very standard and (strangely) sluggishly paced. The third act, however, does pick up the pace, and contains one delightfully bonkers fake-out sequence (it also has one of the more hilariously inappropriate - or intentionally ironic, if you're being charitable - cuts to credits that I've ever seen in a horror film). Richard Lynch makes for a totally convincing wacko, and he's the beneficiary of some really cool makeup effects at times. All things told, BAD DREAMS is nothing exceptional, but it's an inoffensive genre effort.

• Mar 21, 2014

Bad Dreams is a 1988 horror film that has nothing to do with A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 3: The Dream Warriors... except that it features Jennifer Rubin, and it's set in an asylum, and the ghost she's haunted by is burned to a crisp. Whatever. That aside, this isn't too bad of a movie. It has a very nice cast, which also includes Richard Lynch, Bruce Abbott, Dean Cameron and Harris Yulin. The story is about a young girl who survives a Jim Jones-type cult and is haunted because she didn't die along with them. The film is pretty good and the performances are nice for what they're worth, but unfortunately, the ending is a bit of a slap in the face to the story really. There's no real payoff, and if you've seen the alternate ending, you realize what a terrible mistake they made by not having Rubin's character overcome her fears and grow by the end of the film. Oh well. I'm getting into spoiler territory, so I won't say more. Just keep in mind that this is a pretty decent shocker and it's worth a couple of watches.