Bad Education - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bad Education Reviews

June 12, 2015
Revisited this one on the occasion of a podcast reviewing it and I must say that Almodovar's film holds up amazingly well, filled with clever transitions between the various narratives and never loses the audience when operating between different flashbacks or interweaving storylines.

Definitely a recommended film.
½ May 26, 2015
Vibrant, bold, and sensational. Bad Education contains all of Almodovar's typical flourishes, beautiful direction and a twisty, layered, narrative. One of his best.
March 16, 2015
Terrific in every sense of the word. cursing myself that it took me so long to relish this.
½ December 2, 2014
Beautiful like any Almodovar film but a bit too much like volver and not as great as todo sobre mi madre
October 15, 2014
Can't go wrong with Almodovar.
October 12, 2014
This Pedro Almodóvar's exotica is unsettling to watch not only because it is one of his darker stories but also suspiciously autobiographical.
½ October 7, 2014
Pedro Almodovar's Bad Education explores the dark side of obsession and lies, Childhood friend Ignacio re-visits film director buddy Enrique. with a story about their past. Enrique turns it into a movie, but does some digging and finds out that Ignacio is not who he says he is. Then more revelations unfold in this burning mystery full of lust, passion, and obsession. It definitely clutches the dark side of humanity, for a superbly complex film from Pedro Almodovar.
August 30, 2014
In what may be Almodóvar's most personal film, the world-renowned director gives us a story of assumed identities, terrible secrets, and deadly revenge. Though it isn't too far removed from his other films narratively speaking, this one feels sadder, darker. Gael García Bernal, brandishing a surprisingly convincing Spanish accent, plays the central figure, essentially a triple role as a young actor who is not what he appears to be. Fele Martínez is equally impressive as the young filmmaker who can sense that Bernal is hiding something, but casts him in the lead role in a film about their shared past. Catholic sex abuse, drug addiction, blackmail, and malignant passion characterize the 'real' drama surrounding the 'fictional' drama, but beneath the narrative acrobatics lies a sense of despair unusual for Almodóvar. This is one of his most accomplished films from a technical standpoint, featuring some drop-dead beautiful imagery that enhances the story while also tastefully drawing attention to itself (like many of Almodóvar's films, this one functions partly as a celebration of the power of cinema). I don't want to reveal too much about the plot, since the element of surprise is especially crucial here, but I will say that in my opinion this is the best film Almodóvar has ever made.
August 22, 2014
Almodovar on good form here; it's interesting and with a few good twists.
½ July 16, 2014
Couldn't get into the story, but at least the movie stays relatively straightforward and not overly melodramatic (well it is, but not to the heights of other Almodovar over the top-ness). I think the problem for me was there was no character I particularly liked, and the story wasn't that great either (not bad, just middle of the road).
½ June 22, 2014
A strange, but well-acted and thought provoking film.
½ May 15, 2014
Almodovar cleverly constructs an engaging storyline dealing with heavy topics.
April 13, 2014
Very powerful, with great performances.
March 17, 2014
Pas le plus captivant. On dirait que la chimie opère pas toujours.
½ February 26, 2014
I'm not an Almodover fan but this was one of his best movies for me.
½ January 28, 2014
Una pelicula muy delirante!
January 17, 2014
This movie has been within my top favorite movies since the first time I watched it. It's a drama/mystery story with an unexpected twist. I love movies with unexpected endings and this movie definitely delivers that.
December 31, 2013
Not the best Almodovar film to date but an interesting insight into his childhood and what made him become such a talented and unusual film maker.
December 26, 2013
the one that flummoxes those who lazily compare Almodovar and Bunuel
½ October 12, 2013
out of almodovar's films na napanood ko, dito ako nalito. di ko nahulaan yung twist.