Bad Kids Go to Hell - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bad Kids Go to Hell Reviews

½ May 18, 2016
Could have been fun but for the giant 'fuck you!' ending. The new cliche that good guys lose/bad guys win needs to die, that how real life works and movies are supposed to be an escape. Fuck this ending, it ruined the movie.
November 24, 2013
I had high interest in this film due to the title alone. It attempts to be a horror, comedy version of the breakfast club... And fails at being scary or funny. For the type of film it is, I wasn't expecting nearly as much complex plot twists as this. Granted, some things were pretty predictable, others just seemed to make almost no sense.

In all, it isn't the worst film, but I wouldn't recommend this to anyone unless you watch over 300 movies a year.
October 9, 2015
Nothing special ...soon forgotten !
½ February 1, 2013
Stupidest movie ever
October 3, 2014
Made me jump a couple times, and a mini twist at the end, but pretty crap really.
August 22, 2014
"Bad Kids Go To Hell" is Director Matthew Spradlin's dark, twisted homage to 80's teen movies, as only Americana contemporary film can. Co- written with Barry Wernick, the story follows a group of teens from the complete color wheel of personality mind-f**ked. It is an obvious sinister retelling, or new vision, on Hughes "Breakfast Club" where teens personal, and social turmoil's are exposed and forced into resolution. Only in "Bad Kids Go To Hell" the forced realization comes at the hands of one hell of a twisted, sinister story. The plot follows this group of elitist offspring serving detention for, well-you know- being a teen with too much privilege, without supervision, just trying to deal with school and life sh*t! Cause hey, that sh*t is hard-we all have been there! The film stars Amanda Alch, Chanel Ryan, Marc Donato, Augie Duke, Roger Edwards, Ali Faulkner, Cameron Deane Stewart, Ben Browder and Judd Nelson. The official plot goes like this: Six prep school kids from Crestview Academy, home to the spoiled offspring of society's elite, find themselves stuck in detention on a frightfully dark and stormy Saturday afternoon. During their 8-hour detention, each of the six kids falls victim to a horrible "accident" until only one of them remains. I am not going into detail as to the depth of how or why they fall victim as to not give away any spoilers. Just my review and thoughts on the movie.

Everything about "Bad Kids Go To Hell" is almost perfect in it's utilization of nostalgia it tries to capture, with all the tribute images and backdrops that so epically scream "John Hughes". From the library, the character traits of the kids, (only more modern and less wholesome), who make up the cast, right down to the awesome Judd Nelson cameo as Head Master. The flaw (which is minor) is that it seemed to go hardcore in referencing the 80's high school flick but sadly no real dialogue reverb from the movie, what - not one kid could have found a way to declare "I wanna be just like you. I figure all I need, is a lobotomy and some tights". Okay, I know new decade , new social commentary. The film does have some very awesome quotable moments that I loved, my fave "I don't worship the devil, I just promote him". The cast where killer in their role and all had more than enough back story and depth of personality to bring the characters to life. I did want a bit more bravado, overt-expression from a couple of the characters. I thought they where more subdued than they should have been, but still the acting was stellar. Plus a hot cast can hardly ever go wrong.

The movie's "spooky" element was a nice premise to keep the plot stimulated, (remember I am not giving any details away here), which seemed to put the kid's paranoia in overdrive, and the ending twist was cool. Although it almost came off as lame, thank god it was the ending, and not revealed earlier or the film would have failed, much like "Cry Wolf". The effects and gore are there but not really allowed to be the focal point of the moment which is kind of a bummer but still it didn't detract from the movie. "Bad Kids Go To Hell" is a fun, dark satire on High School life as well as basic social discourse that we all have to endure. Plus the subtext of how, based on generation gap and over extended lives, adults tend to view life and young people with a very distorted view outside of the reality that teens or young people in general experience (and vice versa). All in all this film is pretty excellent and a great addition for fans of 80's throwbacks or contemporary American movies, although technically it isn't a horror film it does have some pretty thrilling moments in true Draconian fashion. The real meat of the story lies with the way they reveal how each kid got sent into detention. The flashback is totally 90's "here is how..." stylization. Plus for some reason I got an early Rodriquez vibe from the film.
August 20, 2014
It's OBVIOUS that this is a horror film inspired by Breakfast Club. They even went out of their way to cast Judd Nelson, one of the main characters of Breakfast Club. Of course, the twist is that there's some supernatural goings-on here that add a little wrinkle so that it isn't a shameless ripoff. It's definitely paying tribute to that film I think, even if it borrows the setting and the fact that it follows six characters from dysfunctional families. But that's where the similarities end. Unfortunately, however, the movie never really clicks. It's just all over the place tonally. It's not funny enough to be a comedy, nor is it gory, or scary enough, to be a horror. All this would be fine if the film had some campy laughs, which it does, but not nearly enough of them to make truly justify watching it. The plot is a bit of a mess with the final reveal of why everyone was in detention being a bit silly and hard to believe. The inkblot tests, otherwise known as the Rorschach tests, triggered a response in each of the students that made them do something beyond their control. I thought it was a little silly, but it is what it is. Like I mentioned, the film doesn't really find a consistent tone to follow through on, so it's really jarring to go from comedy, to horror, to camp, to social commentary. At least the film attempts to have something underneath all the silliness, since it focuses on the plight of Native Indians, I refuse to call them Native Americans, they were forced out of their lands and killed by the pilgrims and you want to name them after the people that killed them AND stole their land? I refuse to do that. Anyway, there's a bit of that and the film goes about it in a funny way because there's this constant reminder that, as much as the school/library has a Native Indian theme, there are, in fact, no Native Indians to speak of in the film. Prior to the prom Tricia is chosen, or choose to dress herself as, an Indian princess, despite the fact that she very likely does not have an Indian in her. So, at least, the film has something deeper at its core, even if the themes don't always really work. The story also goes to some dark places as it sees the parents of these kids set their own kids up to die in order for their involvement in a pretty shady deal to not be revealed. The film is, very obviously, cheaply made. You can see that from the special effects in the film. But it has some bright spots, Judd Nelson has some funny lines calling a physically handicapped kid a retard, but there's not enough of this to make the film work. This would've been better off as a short movie if I'm completely honest. It's certainly got a good idea but the execution is an absolute utter mess. I'm sure the comic/graphic novel is much more of an improvement over this. I just think that its ideas and characters would be better developed. This is a bit of a mess, with cliched characters, but it's got a good concept and some pretty decent moments, so it's not as much of a disaster as my review makes it out to be.
March 29, 2014
absolutely horrible and completely transparent. I really didn't like the movie, not really sure what was trying to be accomplished here...
June 22, 2014
it's ok just really stupid
October 11, 2012
The concept is phenomenal. A thinly veiled Breakfast Club knockoff in which all the highschool archetypes die increasingly graphic ways sounds great on paper but the story is so needlessly convoluted and pretentious that the concept is sorely wasted.
½ March 9, 2014
Totally forgotten after 3 days ....so no good points !
April 13, 2013
It's tough to review this, it had its good and its bad. The practical effects were nice, but the character development was really patchy. The plot had it's problems, but it did have its moments too. I just feel like if the ending had a little bit more room to breath and let us develop all the twist and turns that they threw at us then it would leave a lot longer of an impression but it just left it as a so-so experience.
January 19, 2014
The whole Breakfast Club + murder seemed like a cool idea, but the movie was slooow. Boring for 3/4s of it, with pretty terrible acting, and in the end it didn't make a lot of sense. Not worth my time.
January 18, 2014
If the utter absurdity of kids being locked into a building with no way out is ignored, this one is satisfying. The characters are so woefully repellent, there is a genuine sense of longing to see them meet their demise. The film does well to parallel The Breakfast Club, but in doing so goes for the reality of that situation...for every bunch of teens that May bond together, most are just the monsters they appear to be. Call this one a guilty pleasure. The production values are both surprisingly high and effective.
January 4, 2014
Damm how can i download a Trailer -_-
January 4, 2014
"A slickly produced and brazenly clever piece of work that could attract a cult by sheer dint of its ingenious nastiness and self-aware snark." Crazy ending.
April 10, 2013
thinly stitched together ideas. disgustingly terrible acting and cgi and a relatively pointless story... messy and without any real direction. I can't believe someone said "yeah... I'll pay to make that."
July 24, 2012
BKGtH... Loved the comic, can't wait for the movie!
October 7, 2013
One sentence summary: I still like Ben Browder, but hope never to see the other actors again.
------------------------------------

Crestview Academy is a private school for upper crust brats. The film starts with the beginning of an eight-hour detention for six very entitled scumbag teenagers. Dr. Day locks them in, but not before Veronica poisons him (ongoing vomiting, perhaps not death). Within twenty minutes I was ready for all these useless bastards to be slaughtered. That's what I call successful writing.
Megan dies first from the inability to find her ventilator while under the stress of a seance.
They try to escape; they try to explain the recurrence of large roaches. They end up in round upon round of recriminations against one another, anti-enforced by flashbacks.
The adults are clueless; why don't they pull the plug on the bad behavior? Why not have the perpetrators arrested? Turn off the electricity to the sound system at events? There are ways to assert control non-violently. Even good old expulsion comes to mind.
After firing bullets at the bookcases to soothe his conscience, Craig Cook gets a nice piece of steel through his thorax. Nice.
Tricia assaults Matt Clark with a nail gun, but does not kill him.
Someone kills Veronica with a shard of glass, only it was a fake out. She was in alliance with Dr. Day, or so she thought.
In a last reversal of expectations, only Matt is left standing, and the cops pick that instant to enter the detention room. The cops immediately taser him, then muzzle him. Max explains what really happened, knowing Matt will never be able to credibly repeat it.

-------Scores-------

Cinematography: 7/10 OK, but little was done to disguise the bad casting.

Sound: 2/10 Unforgivable. Whoever mixed the sound did a bad job. The rotten music was set down much louder than the conversational tracks. To hear the conversations, I have to crank up to 50; to avoid blowing out my ears while the useless, irritating 'music' is on, I need to drop it down to 10. Ridiculously bad. The incompetence extends into the credits.

Acting: 0/10 Bad, except for Ben Browder. Judd Nelson might as well have phoned in his performance. You'd think actors in their twenties could do better jobs at playing teenagers. Amanda Alch (23), Mark Donato (24), Roger Edwards (32), and Ali Faulkner (over 22, probably by a lot) were the actors for whom I could find ages. Those may be their stated ages, but they look even older. Augie Duke looked about 40 in a closeup; searching on the net suggested she's 27. I think real teenagers could do a better job than this crew of non-actors. The extras were uniformly terrible.

Screenplay: 4/10 The rotten non-teenagers do get good and dead. On the other hand, the sequencing of current time versus endless flashbacks was poor. On the whole, this was a muddled piece of nonsense.