Bad Kids Go to Hell - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bad Kids Go to Hell Reviews

October 19, 2013
BKGtH... Loved the comic, can't wait for the movie!
October 7, 2013
One sentence summary: I still like Ben Browder, but hope never to see the other actors again.
------------------------------------

Crestview Academy is a private school for upper crust brats. The film starts with the beginning of an eight-hour detention for six very entitled scumbag teenagers. Dr. Day locks them in, but not before Veronica poisons him (ongoing vomiting, perhaps not death). Within twenty minutes I was ready for all these useless bastards to be slaughtered. That's what I call successful writing.
Megan dies first from the inability to find her ventilator while under the stress of a seance.
They try to escape; they try to explain the recurrence of large roaches. They end up in round upon round of recriminations against one another, anti-enforced by flashbacks.
The adults are clueless; why don't they pull the plug on the bad behavior? Why not have the perpetrators arrested? Turn off the electricity to the sound system at events? There are ways to assert control non-violently. Even good old expulsion comes to mind.
After firing bullets at the bookcases to soothe his conscience, Craig Cook gets a nice piece of steel through his thorax. Nice.
Tricia assaults Matt Clark with a nail gun, but does not kill him.
Someone kills Veronica with a shard of glass, only it was a fake out. She was in alliance with Dr. Day, or so she thought.
In a last reversal of expectations, only Matt is left standing, and the cops pick that instant to enter the detention room. The cops immediately taser him, then muzzle him. Max explains what really happened, knowing Matt will never be able to credibly repeat it.

-------Scores-------

Cinematography: 7/10 OK, but little was done to disguise the bad casting.

Sound: 2/10 Unforgivable. Whoever mixed the sound did a bad job. The rotten music was set down much louder than the conversational tracks. To hear the conversations, I have to crank up to 50; to avoid blowing out my ears while the useless, irritating 'music' is on, I need to drop it down to 10. Ridiculously bad. The incompetence extends into the credits.

Acting: 0/10 Bad, except for Ben Browder. Judd Nelson might as well have phoned in his performance. You'd think actors in their twenties could do better jobs at playing teenagers. Amanda Alch (23), Mark Donato (24), Roger Edwards (32), and Ali Faulkner (over 22, probably by a lot) were the actors for whom I could find ages. Those may be their stated ages, but they look even older. Augie Duke looked about 40 in a closeup; searching on the net suggested she's 27. I think real teenagers could do a better job than this crew of non-actors. The extras were uniformly terrible.

Screenplay: 4/10 The rotten non-teenagers do get good and dead. On the other hand, the sequencing of current time versus endless flashbacks was poor. On the whole, this was a muddled piece of nonsense.
September 30, 2013
This was like a very messed up version of The Breakfast Club, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. It was a really awesome movie, but the way it was executed didn't make total sense to me.
½ September 15, 2013
Comic even at times :-O
August 30, 2013
A rather good cast and unusual and sometimes clumsy directing techniques, this awfully edited, poorly scripted film is worth watching just for fun. It can't be taken seriously.
½ August 17, 2013
Kind Good.
Very Weird.
½ August 8, 2013
Very creative, detail oriented plot line...especially for a film that leads with a teeny-bopper theme. Impressive and very entertaining!
August 1, 2013
Inspiré de très loin de breakfast club! :( Film d'horreur presque ennuyant!
August 1, 2013
I got maybe 15 minutes into the movie then shut it off. I was hoping it would be a good movie but it just did not hold my attention so I gave up.
July 30, 2013
this movei is amazing.
½ July 15, 2013
Bad actors in what otherwise could have been a good movie.
½ July 14, 2013
Is not a horror movie nor a comedy. Bad kids go to hell gets trapped in its own weirdness, delivering one hell of a mess.
July 14, 2013
Good horror/thriller :)
½ July 8, 2013
Basically The Breakfast Club if the students were slowly killed off throughout the movie, Bad Kids Go to Hell is a wickedly funny and twisted little horror film that deftly blends brutality with black humor that keeps you guessing as to whether there is a murderer or something supernatural on the loose.
July 5, 2013
one of the dumbest movies ive ever seen. what a waste of time
½ June 24, 2013
Saw this at Comic Con. So much fun! Loved it!
June 18, 2013
Matt is stuck in detention with five other troublesome teens on a rainy Saturday afternoon, but rather than swapping sappy to bring them closer together, the students are forced to face off against an evil spirit that is out for revenge! Matthew Spradlin adapts the hit comic book series BAD KIDS GO TO HELL for the small screen in a bloody new supernatural thriller, but these kids sure ain't part of THE BREAKFAST CLUB (in more ways than one). There isn't a likable character among them, but you have your pick as to who you'd rather see die first between the pretentious bitch, the asshole jock, the prissy nerd, or one of the other poorly constructed teen stereotypes. Any attempt to endure their obnoxious behavior and snotty attitudes will only be met with further disappointment, as the death scenes are hardly any payoff for all of the preceding torment. BAD KIDS GO TO HELL never moves in a firm direction, and flip-flops between its set-ups as a teen slasher and a supernatural revenge film. Neither option is particularly appealing, as both plotlines fall back on tired old genre cliches. The script isn't nearly as clever and witty as the writers would like you to believe, either. A fitting title, at least, for this self-important teen shocker.

-Carl Manes
I Like Horror Movies
June 13, 2013
Oh my look at this moives.
½ June 8, 2013
This film has Judd Nelson in it. Do you really need any reviews to know how bad it is? I suppose that's supposed to be some "clever" reference to Breakfast Club since they both involve annoying kids in detention halls after school hours -- but that type of shallow reference should give you insight into how tortured the scriptwriting is.
½ June 8, 2013
sometimes funny and sometimes lame, this film is let down by uneven story, pace and cheap looking CG...with more effort and budget, this could have been much better [C]