Bad Santa - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bad Santa Reviews

April 18, 2016
It's mean-spirited but it's an enjoyable kind of mean-spirited. It's rude, crude, cynical, and funny.
April 3, 2016
As irreverent and gut-busting as Billy Bob Thornton's brilliant performance as the titular misanthrope, Bad Santa offers a dark, refreshingly offbeat and decidedly non-family-friendly take on the holly jolly Christmas spirit that manages to keep a hard head and yet still ultimately end up as heartwarming as any family-friendly holiday feature.
April 2, 2016
i wish the kid didn't have to have that snot on his face through most of the movie, otherwise, like!
March 23, 2016
This a go-to movie , that I can watch once a year, but always seem as Fresh as the first time I watched it, it just seems like it will never get old.
March 5, 2016
Classic dark comedy. I laughed all the way. Enjoy!
½ February 8, 2016
This movies greatest strength is its original idea and the unique charms of Billy Bob Thornton. Thornton plays a wretch of a man in this movie, but still manages to be someone we kind of like and are kind of rooting for. Maybe he represents to communal Christmas id, the guy who says the s****y things of the season all of us are thinking but would never say, I don't know. Whatever it is, it works. I really don't think this movie would work with anyone else in the lead role. I also liked his chemistry with the kid in this movie. It's a bizarre and often hostile relationship, but it works. The movie isn't a laugh riot, hell it's really not that consistently funny even, but it does have an odd charm to it. Not a great movie, but strangely a very likable movie.
February 8, 2016
Absolutely hilarious
½ January 24, 2016
The story is all over the place, but I did not care. Bad Santa made me laugh consistently and Billy Bob Thornton is perfectly cast as the titular character. A crude comedy that works without trying too hard. I had a really good time.
½ January 17, 2016
Dark and not very funny
January 16, 2016
Bully Bob Thorton makes the movie, period. Other performances are sub par and the directing is just ok. It is Thorton's awesome acting that makes the movie laugh out loud, raunchy funny!
January 4, 2016
This is not just the usual edgy comedy; it is completely irreverent. When juxtaposed with the good nature of a Christmas movie you get some bold moments that are not for everyone. Indeed, Billy Bob Thornton is downright nasty as he plays a self-loathing drunk crook with no moral boundaries. Billy Bob is simply perfect for the role. He breaks your heart as he stumbles around drunk in a Santa suit, yelling at kids, and stealing from anyone he can. In the strangest of story twists, a na´ve, even stupid, kid who believes he is the real Santa offers him food, shelter and friendship. The bad Santa takes advantage of him, uses him and cares nothing for him most of the movie. It seems cruel and is a little hard to watch. In the true spirit of Christmas, there is some semblance of a caring human in him, and it becomes a comical semi-redeeming story. It does dig a deeper and darker hole than you might guess before coming back to the light. A strong supporting cast, including Bernie Mac, John Ritter, Lauren Graham, and Tony Cox help make the movie. Lauren Graham and her Santa fetish is memorable to say the least. There are plenty of off-putting dark moments but there are good laughs too.
January 3, 2016
Hilarious from start to finish - I am amazed (and grateful) that a big studio financed this film. This is how you get a wrong movie right.
½ December 26, 2015
In turns dark (as every black comedy should be) and cheesy (as every Christmas movie must be), Bad Santa magically finds the perfect tone of hilarity and quirkiness, with help from the Coen Brothers and seemingly a touch of Tarantino.
December 26, 2015
Criminal duo, slim Santa and African-American dwarf elf seem to be pros at
robbing surveillance-camera-less department stores. A Santa-convinced
snotty fat kid is so hypnotized by Santa's appearance of wearing the very
famous red suit and the red hat with the white snowball-like fluff attached to it,
he becomes totally immune from every ammunition bullet-like swearing word
that comes out of Santa's mouth, as if it's the first time he has ever heard Santa
speak to him in "Can I have your autograph?" English language, not really an
ordinary person, but a legend-famous figure so people-captivated since Christmas
was discovered back in early history ::
½ December 25, 2015
A really rough movie with dark themes that still manages to be delightfully charming, humorous, and thoughtful.
½ December 25, 2015
QU╔ BUE-NA! Billy Bob Thornton es un crack!
Christmas Classic...!
December 25, 2015
We watched this last night for the 2nd time since 2003. Some good laughs in some scenes but generally quite rude.