Bad Santa - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bad Santa Reviews

November 5, 2016
Outrageously hilarious holiday movie!
August 15, 2016
vulgar and very very funny.
August 11, 2016
The movie was so boring half the movie I slept in
August 9, 2016
laugh all though the movie
August 7, 2016
Yes, it's awful, but have to laugh. Definitely not a sentimental Xmas movie.
½ August 1, 2016
Bad Santa is directed by Terry Zwigoff, and it stars Billy Bob Thornton, Tony Cox, Lauren Graham, and Bernie Mac in a dark comedy about a drunken robber that dress up as Santa during Christmas in order to get the money. Bad Santa is one of those films that could've go both ways of whether it be really funny, or too mean-spirited. Luckily it isn't the case for it being too mean-spirited as this is a hilarious Christmas film. The Billy Bob Thornton is really funny in this as he does have a balance of whether he goes too far or not in terms of him being a jerk. The beginning was a bit of mixed things for me as it gets some chuckles there, but it can also be a bit too much and wouldn't get a laugh out of me, but when the movie introduces the child character that's played by Brett Kelly, that's when the movie gets downright hilarious, whether it be from him, or from Billy Bob Thornton. The characters are a fun to watch, and with all the nasty stuff in this film, there are some heartfelt moments that is a little taste of Christmas in there that works effectively. The chemistry between Billy Bob Thornton and Brett Kelly is really good, and I'm glad that it doesn't go for the sort of father and son type of relationship. Bad Santa is definitely not for the faint of heart as it does get raunchy a lot, but for people that are into dark comedies, this a lot of fun to watch.
July 21, 2016
This movie is so funny.
July 18, 2016
No this isn't a National Lampoon movie although you could easily be fooled into thinking that with this title. As you might have expected this is a Christmas set film and its about a naughty Santa character. Again you could easily be fooled into thinking this is a silly kids movie with lots of fart gags...but no, its actually a black comedy and most definitely for the grown ups. The whole point of this film is the ever so slight redemption of the main character played by Thornton. This guy is a low down permanently drunk criminal who drags his way through life whilst robbing department stores with his dwarf partner. The dubious duo take yearly jobs as a department store Santa and his elf worker, this way they get to know the ins and outs of the store so they can easily rob it. Things change for Thornton's character 'Stokes' when he meets a tubby little boy who he kinda befriends and takes a shine to...eventually. This film is kinda unique in the sense that the main character has many flaws and issues which you tend to think he will sort out at some point by the end of the film. The twist and funny part is he doesn't really change at all, he does a little bit with the help of his little fat young friend, but not too much really, he still ends up as the same bum. The amusing things about the film are the constant little moments where Thornton's character gets angry or frustrated with the fat kid and swears at him. The little fat kid (eerily played by Kelly) seems to be a bit slow and just takes the abuse, in one ear and out the other. At times it can be very funny to watch these outbursts yet at other times you do feel sorry for the kid or Stokes because you know he sometimes doesn't mean it. The heist aspect of the film is quite good and offers some reasonably tense moments, especially near the end. The various Santa sequences are probably the films highlights as we see Thornton getting sneezed and coughed on by lots of pant wetting scroats. Of course his reactions and the way he treats the kids are the best bits, he basically sneers growls and scowls at them, finally nudging them off his knee and virtually kicking them to the curb. Watching the reactions of the parents is great, as a man pushing 40 and with no kids I love it, if I was a parent I might feel differently I guess who knows. The darkest sequence must be when a severely pissed Stokes crawls up the escalator towards his Santa grotto. His beard and clothes now filthy stained and damaged, he looks like shit, can hardly walk and promptly falls into a reindeer display. This whole sequence starts out funny but descends into a more cringeworthy incident as he freaks out and starts to smash up the Xmas display in front of everyone in the store, its still amusing but also poignant and depressing...much like the plot as a whole really. The finale was a tad of a let down for me, it does seem like you're gonna get the predictable ending where Stokes will die trying to achieve a small slice of decency in his life, the right ending. A bit like the finale in 'The Wrestler' where Rourke's character goes out doing what he loves but also reclaiming a small part of his dignity right at the end. Even though this ending is predictable as I said, I think it would have been stronger for obvious reasons. Instead Stokes lives on and we get some mumbo jumbo about how he survived and what he plans to do after he heals up. This simply feels like an open ending so they can roll out a sequel which this film really doesn't need in my opinion, if it happens that is. I think it should have wrapped up there and then. All in all I like how this is basically an anti-Christmas flick which sticks two fingers up at the sweet yuletide greetings side of it and embraces the Scrooge side with extreme profanity. Its not exactly original in idea, the drunk rude Santa schtick has been done before but you can't deny its amusing. Crude rude edgy and drenched in cynicism...but there is a soft warm heart buried deep in there and it just about manages to shine through in the end.
June 30, 2016
this or 'unrated version' r the best
½ June 30, 2016
Pretty bad, but at parts laughable. Generally wouldn't recommend to someone else.
June 30, 2016
Delightful, a modern holiday classic. Rude, crude, and vile, but with a touching message. Zwigoff needs to direct more, and whoever wrote this deserves an Oscar, it's that clever and funny. The holiday soundtrack is exceptional as well. A must watch every holiday season.
June 30, 2016
There is no better Christmas movie. Unless you pair it with The Ref.
½ June 30, 2016
FOR ADULTS ONLY!!! They taken the original "Bad Santa," and as the box says, made it "badder." It's crude, it's rude, but it's also very funny! Billy Bob Thorton plays a cool con-man. He's supported by two funny guys, who I'm sad to say are no longer with us. The late John Ritter and Bernie Mac. Put the kids to bed, pour some egg nog and have some adult laughs.
June 30, 2016
Yes, it's awful, but have to laugh. Definitely not a sentimental Xmas movie.
June 30, 2016
It just wouldn't be Christmastime without this movie for me, probably watched this 10 times now. Billy Bob Thornton gives he best performance, he's just perfect in it. The writing is excellent, from the Coen Brothers. John Ritter, Tony Cox and Bernie Mac are all great in supporting roles. The real star is the kid, who is perfectly cast. A must!
June 21, 2016
Absolutely hilarious. Billy Bob Thornton is perfect as the grizzly old drunk mall thief in a Santa suit. His interactions with Brett Kelly and Tony Cox are priceless. This was also one of John Ritter's last films before passing.
June 1, 2016
Okay movie. Billy Bob Thornton is great as usual. But the movie is pretty dumb. It's funny at times, but annoying at others.
½ May 9, 2016
A movie that's all one note. That note being Billy Bob Thornton is a drunk santa.
April 18, 2016
It's mean-spirited but it's an enjoyable kind of mean-spirited. It's rude, crude, cynical, and funny.
April 3, 2016
As irreverent and gut-busting as Billy Bob Thornton's brilliant performance as the titular misanthrope, Bad Santa offers a dark, refreshingly offbeat and decidedly non-family-friendly take on the holly jolly Christmas spirit that manages to keep a hard head and yet still ultimately end up as heartwarming as any family-friendly holiday feature.