The Ballad of Jack and Rose - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Ballad of Jack and Rose Reviews

July 18, 2016
Wow. Just wow. Had no idea DDL was so sexy. And to live live that life. Wow. Just wow.
May 10, 2016
Not at all interesting.
April 18, 2016
I wasted my 60 mins watching this movie and felt sorry for Daniel Day-Lewis that he had to play a movie this bad. Oh well, it's his wife's.
August 11, 2015
Lewis is never boring but that's tested in this lumbering ineffective movie.
½ January 9, 2015
April 24, 2014
wow ummm just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch......its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie....i think that daniel day lewis, camilla belle, catherine keener, beau bridges, jason lee (from the brilliant tv series my name is earl), play good roles/parts thorughout this movie......i think that the director of this drama movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie....i think that this is such a really sad movie 2 watch it has got a really sad ending for this movie......i think that catherine keener was great throughout this movie.....i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch it is such a really sad movie 2 watch........its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie.......i think that camila belle was brilliant throughout this movie as rose throughout this movie.......i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch it is a really sad movie 2 watch but its got such a good cast throughout this movie......i think that jason lee was brilliant thorughout this movie.....i think that daniel day lewis was superb throughout this movie.......i think that this is such a really sad movie 2 watch its got a good cast thorughout this movie.....i think that this is such a really sad movie 2 watch but it is such a superb movie 2 watch with a good cast throughout this movie.......
½ February 9, 2014
Here's proof positive, Daniel Day-Lewis is the finest actor alive today. This movie is utterly sad, slow, dull, and filled with people you'd never want to meet. Yet somehow his performance is still top notch, and the only thing that kept me from turning it off. How he raised a child like Rose makes you wonder just how out of it Jack is...Avoid this unless you want to see PEI and Candian Tire on the big screen.
December 28, 2013
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
September 4, 2013
this fucking movie totally weirded me out! like when you look up and see a spider crawling around on the ceiling.. that's exactly how I feel about this movie. I need to take a shower.
½ May 21, 2013
Daniel Day-Lewis joue à perfection ce rôle de 68ard écolo et hippie, perdu dans le monde américain des années 80. Camilla Belle, qui joue le rôle de sa fille, est magnifique et plein d'innocence. Mais comme il est dit dans le film, ce sont parfois les personnes innocentes qui s'avèrent les plus dangereuses... La relation père-fille est très forte, parfois même trop, mais on se laisse envouter par ces personnages rêveurs...
½ May 4, 2013
The Ballad of Jack and Rose is decent film. It is about a father and daughter isolated on an island off the East Coast and living on a once thriving commune grapple with the limits of family and sexuality. Daniel Day-Lewis and Camilla Belle give good performances. The script is okay but a little slow in places. Rebecca Miller did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the drama.
March 20, 2013
Fine acting from Lewis and Belle but the Ballad of Jack and Rose is a movie that only fans of independent or coming of age movies will enjoy. Rebecca Miller writes and directs this film about a young sheltered girl coming to age while her father is facing impending death. Lewis is brilliant (as he always is) but the script is limited and the story is at times so absurd that it become almost unbelievable. The audience tries to have sympathy for the young Slavin (Belle) but the poorly thought out script makes Belle extremely selfish and unlikable thus losing any emotional pull the audience may feel for her. Good effort but falls short of being a movie that people will talk about.
March 7, 2013
Camilla Bell is the greatest actress ever!
½ February 6, 2013
I didn't hate it and it's an alright movie but I didn't become involved in it and the characters and events sort of skimmed over me. It's the sort of movie you watch and enjoy or think yeah that was nice but it slowly slips out of your memory.
February 1, 2013
Not sure why this gets a bad rating. It had heart, drama, laughs, and Paul Dano.What is there to dislike?
January 29, 2013
Unsettling drama with an intriguing premise and lasting performances from the two leads.
January 24, 2013
This movie is a disappointment. There are a lot of talented actors in the cast and they do a good job here. The story of the movie is uninspired. The script is weak and it makes the film not enjoyable to watch. The characters actions do not make sense some of the time. Definitely avoid this movie and watch some better ones made by these fine actors.
January 1, 2013
I wasn't sure if I hated or liked this the first time I saw it, but the more I thought about it the more I thought about it the more I thought about it and then I kept on thinking about it... now I'm pretty sure I do like it. Maybe not. This is a strange review.
December 30, 2012
Tackles some taboo topics that may seem often ridiculous but that doesn't change the fact that Day Lewis and Belle command your attention. The director does what she can to build mood but basically we're only here for the performances.
December 7, 2012
The Ballad of Jack and Rose
Synopsis: A single father tries to come to terms with his 16-year-old daughter Rose's coming-of-age. When the father's new love, Kathleen and her two teenage boys come to live with them, Rose undergoes a sexual awakening with both liberating and devastating co...
Starring: Beau Bridges, Camilla Belle, Catherine Keener, Daniel Day-Lewis, Paul Dano, Jason Lee, Jena Malone
Directed by: Rebecca Miller