Ballerina - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ballerina Reviews

½ April 27, 2014
Excellent peek into the lives of St. Petersburg's ballerinas.
October 13, 2012
The discipline these ladies have is just incredible!
August 14, 2012
Would have 5 stars if Svetlana had more scenes.
January 9, 2012
I loved this documentary... nothing's prettier than Russian Ballet. It changed some ideas I had about exploitation of youth/beauty, too... cause the women you meet in the documentary (far from having some sort of emotional deficit that's fed by praise and perfection within some soulless machine) really have an empowered and artistic view of their own talents. And the interviews with theater people and choreographers make you believe they really do strive to create opportunities for the dancers to make their art and see themselves serving that purpose.
December 4, 2011
This was a really interesting look into the discipline it takes to be a ballerina! :)
February 14, 2011
Neither bleak, nor inspirational, individual or compromising, this documentary featuring the process of ballerinas in Russia is more educational than beautiful. The only times when the pure passion of the dance is exhibited, are clips from such ballets as Romeo and Juliet, Swan Lake, and The Legend of Love. From the time of their first study at age ten, to the corps de ballet at Kirov, and finally realizing the dream of becoming a prima ballerina, every stage is catalouged for future reference. There is little emotion, but all the grace of a swan, or Juliet, or Carmen. Lovely.
½ January 22, 2011
interesting look at the difficult world of ballet. i would have rather watched this in my college dance class then some of the movies we did watch
January 2, 2011
This was a very interesting documentary profiling 5 talented ballet dancers of different generations. I liked how it showed the triumphs, sacrifices, and self discipline of these talents from Russia. I liked how this documentary revealed not only the mental and physical struggles , but the temptations to leave their art. This film showed the soft side of some seemingly invincible Russian dancing elite.
½ December 30, 2010
I've yet to see BLACK SWAN (soon, soon), so I thought I'd watch this as a primer. It's a really fascinating look behind the scenes at one of the most prestigious ballet companies in the world. The ballerinas profiled are lovely young women and you become totally engrossed in their journeys to become famed ballerinas.
December 23, 2010
I really liked this documentary. I love ballet, especially the Russian Ballet. Nothing compares with Russian ballet and ballerinas.
November 4, 2010
grueling, raw, and real life depiction of ballerinas' in today's world.
June 13, 2010
Must watch if you love beautiful dancing.
May 28, 2010
An intimate portrait of five ballerinas from the Kirov. Thay are so beautiful when they are dancing. Way too anorexic otherwise.
BEACHBUNNI
April 9, 2010
Behind any great ballerina lies the discipline and rigour that comes from decades of training and practice....this film,. Bertrand Normand's portrait of five Russian ballerinas from the Mariinski Theatre,in Russia,is very nicely portrayed
February 8, 2010
informative, with beautiful footage. recommended for any ballerinas or ballet afficionados.
February 5, 2010
A beautiful documentary about the work it takes to be a ballerina in Russia. It was very nicely put together to tell the whole story.
January 21, 2010
I learned a lot watching this. The life of a ballerina is no joke.
½ December 29, 2009
Fascinating and beautiful documentary that follows the growth and rise of five young Russian ballerinas. It made me want to be a dancer again...
½ December 19, 2009
Having taken dance, myself, for about 11 years of my life, I am always very drawn to dance-related films and I thought this documentary was fantastic. It is a film that, I believe, all dancers should see. An in depth look at five rising stars in Russian ballet really gives you a true glimpse as to how grueling the life of a dancer is. These girls dedication and hard work is unbelievable. They have elegance and grace that is simply out of this world and are beautiful to watch on stage. I so enjoyed all of their stories and watching them progress in the world of dance. I don't think you really realize how difficult the life of a dancer is until you watch this film. Especially dancers in Russia, as ballet is so highly revered there and so much pressure is put on these girls to be the best. The dancing is gorgeous and a delight to watch and I found myself sort of in awe of it all. It most certainly gave me a better appreciation of dance and deepened, even more, my love for it. A beautiful documentary.
November 23, 2009
Just an average look at several ballerinas attending Russian ballet schools and then joining the Mariinski Theater.

The editing is a little rough and the sound is sometimes "noisy." The story carries and it will keep your interest if you like ballet or are curious how ballerinas (at least Russian ballerinas) ply their art.

I found myself wanting a little closer look at some of them. I think this could have been accomplished by featuring less dancers.

I still liked it and it did give me a look at a world of which I know very little. Ballet is beautiful though.