Au Hasard Balthazar - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Au Hasard Balthazar Reviews

½ July 2, 2016
It's sui generis, and of interest really only to the dedicated. It stays with you, but is more of a presentation of suffering, with strong Christological overtones, than a developed plot. There is not a lot of dialogue, and lends itself to patient watching on a big screen.
½ December 4, 2015
La vida y muerte de un burro llamado Baltasar.
September 28, 2015
Au Hasard Balthazar is a movie of extraordinary beauty, and earth-shattering tragedy, and a Godliness that can't simply be put into words. It's the story of a girl and her donkey, and the parallel existence between the two. They are abused and tortured by piggish men. The moral is as Catholic as movies get. The more Balthazar suffers, the wiser and holier he becomes. By the end of the movie, he's a saint, surrounded by a flock of sheep, as he lays to rest. The final scene alone is an unmistaken triumph of the power of cinema.
September 27, 2015
An incredibly mean spirited, depressing film. Showing nothing but animal cruelty, horrendous performances, overly pretentious symbolism. But I guess that was the intention.
No doubt this was really artsy and well made. Its a unique film you won't like it though. It aint worth checking out. Even though I'm giving it a 6/10 Why? I don't know why... You don't have any feelings for this movie you're just neutral... Like the performances
June 10, 2015
The most pretentious thing I've ever seen, and that's saying something.
June 1, 2015
Bresson invests Au Hasard Balthazar with a remarkable intensity that is only enhanced by the stark and austere visual style. It's a tremendously powerful allegory on human cruelty and suffering and a study in saintliness, with the eponymous donkey used as a symbol of virtue and salvation. It's one of the most transcendent art house films of the 20th century.
March 18, 2015
150318: Perhaps it's my limited exposure to that required me to read the insert and watch the extra features. This film, regardless of my understanding, pulled me in. It is art. It inspired research and I gained appreciation in doing so. Well worth watching.
½ March 14, 2015
I am puzzled by the praise for this film.
January 27, 2015
Grim and emotional Bresson classic that will surprise, shock, and ultimately move you.
September 12, 2014
The extent of cruelty man is capable of inflicting on other living beings and creatures is absolutely heartbreaking!
August 31, 2014
Strange film about the life of a donkey. Highly regarded as a classic, I personally couldn't really accept the animal cruelty on show and take the stance that it is never necessary in the name of entertainment or art or whatever you wanna call it.
August 10, 2014
A blunt reflection on life where the aesthetics of the film climax in a flash of beautiful revelation
August 1, 2014
What a unique piece of filmmaking! A donkey as the centerpiece of all the people he encounters, which most are idiots by the way, some straight evil, but he just takes it as it is since he's nothing but a regular donkey and nothing more. It's so appalling what the poor donkey goes through everyday, it's a heartbreaking story, but one great film. I will watch it again then move on to more Bresson films, followed by Ozu and Kobayashi ones.
½ January 28, 2014
The citizen kane of donkey movies.
January 11, 2014
Probably the single most moving film I've ever seen and Balthazar the donkey probably the most noble character in one.
December 25, 2013
I just don't see any deep meaning in this film beyond a "LIfe is hard and then we die" philosophy. The character of Marie is so idiotic that I want to smack her, and tell her to act like a responsible adult instead of a brainless moron. And while acting like the cretin she is, she mouths inanities about 'reality." Honestly! I'm not saying that some people don't act like they have no intelligence at all sometimes, but not all the people all the time. Everyone in this movie is just plain spacey.
½ December 21, 2013
This is neither an easy film, nor, in the show biz sense, an entertaining one. It makes large demands upon its audience, and in return confers exceptional rewards.
November 30, 2013
Un burro con más contenido que Hachik?.
October 7, 2013
It's very sad. And Balthasar is totally Jesus. And we are the sheep.