Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress Reviews

½ March 27, 2015
Charming and lyrical in its style, but brutal in its implications. I think modern audiences just have to be hit over the head to think something is deep. They are young, ignorant, and manipulated by propaganda, and each other. The significance of Balzac is the influence of western ideas
March 9, 2015
Chinese coming-of-age and the power of literature. I finished the book yesterday and enjoyed this adaptation. The amended ending is particularly beautiful.
May 12, 2013
the film felt vacuous or at least it left me feeling sort of empty, and insatiated at the end.
it was an easy,enjoyable enough watch but meaningful, insightful film it was not.
p.s. anyone else caught whiffs of homoerotic undertones? or was it just narrow-minded me?
April 3, 2013
potentially one of my favorite movies... a beautiful film about communism
April 2, 2012
a very sweet movie. a must see.
½ February 13, 2012
Books truly change the world. Still dumbfounded about Three Gorges Dam though.
½ September 22, 2011
I found this story very interesting, although not as in empowering in the film version as in the book. I thought the excellent coverage of the time of the cultural Revolution and the alienation of the intelligentsia was strong in the film but even stronger in the book. I'm not sure why the excellent ending of the book was altered for the film. Generally a very good film, and certainly worth watching, but an even stronger book.
½ August 15, 2011
Pretty movie, very pretty. But sadly it's a little bit borring and the story just seems to fade away as you get on with the movie. A shame really...
August 13, 2011
Is there a movie that is able to capture the hearts of its audience greatly, without heavily relying on a joyful narrative or glittering presentation? Is there a movie that is so immensely captivating that, for what it's worth, it transforms its cinematic visual into a giant spark of beauty? This movie, putting aside its compulsory task of jeopardizing its literacy flavour and mundane performance, is a jade stone, cinematic-ally speaking. The cinematography, enriched by the gentle, dynamic camerawork and abundant look on the countryside landscape, wrapped in natural light, packs a full-bloom solemnity that resonates with the romance and their misadventures. The film ends in modern time where the country is a little less-strict than it was, but the situation has changed for all its characters. This is probably nothing, some say it's confusing and that the filmmakers were being irrational. I say, FUCK IT. You can even turn off the subtitle or even the sound, leaving you only the images, you still can fall in love with it.
April 24, 2011
Increíbles paisajes.Las peores condiciones de vida no impedirán que florezcan la amistad y el amor.Y el hombre más ignorante,caerá preso del hipnótico teatro de oir literatura de la que cree tiene que renegar..
Me impresiona la imagen final,que te dice que bajo las aguas de la presa que inundará todo,quedará para siempre atrapado el recuerdo de estos chicos con su dulce música y sus lecturas a escondidas.
March 20, 2011
Non mai sserieu stai vraiment po si pir !! Entkka jsuis pret pour mon test de lecture de demain !! XD
January 4, 2011
an interesting piece on the cultural revolution and surprisingly ties in with the industrialization of rural China brought upon by the 3 Gorges Dam. The limestone karsts are pretty and the tale of 2 friends amusing, especially at the end when they share a beer and recall old times.
½ November 26, 2010
Interessante pellicola che ricalca il grazioso libro da cui è tratto con fedeltà ed ottima fotografia. Il ritmo forse non è incalzante e porta avanti quella tradizione cinese di genere, ma il film risulta comunque gradevole. Ideale spaccato sull'effetto della politica di Mao nelle campagne sperdute e retrograde della Cina, storicamente accettabile.
September 17, 2010
I like the movie much better than the book. The little Chinese seamstress is really a tough woman.
jimbotender
August 23, 2010
I was wooed by the call of the wild,oh the poetic motion and oh the indiscreet nature of the protagonists.Mesmerizing to the end of social inflation,the political scenery is a stereotypical background,erotica and affliction in the countryside is what makes this film move around.Such brilliance near the mountains.
August 21, 2010
Slightly different from the book, but compelling nonetheless. Fine performances too.
½ August 10, 2010
Three of the most talented actors from China are starred in this surprisingly sweet and romantic film.
August 2, 2010
Wonderful...sad but beautiful. a poem of the 70's chinese society
May 31, 2010
It's shocking, at least very confusing, to see this extremely romanticized movie with a very realismic author in the title.