Bananaz Reviews

• Feb 15, 2019

I personally loved it, it lets to take a look at behind the scenes and I, being a Gorillaz fan really enjoyed it

• Feb 12, 2018

This was an interesting documentary, however, I think more time in the studio would have been great. It was really interesting to see the studio time that was captured in this.

• Sep 25, 2012

loved this film, though i have only seen in low quality on youtube i genuinly enjoyed it. gives you a great idea of their personalities.

• Mar 03, 2012

I mean its fuckin Gorillaz i have to give it 5 stars. Gave me as a fan exactly what i wanted and more.

• Nov 22, 2010

A really tremendous look behind the scenes at the creation of Gorillaz. The only thing I could want more of was maybe some more insight into the songs themselves, but overall, it's really good, especially if you're a fan of the band.

• Sep 01, 2009

Interesting look into the creative process and interaction between Gorillaz 3D counterparts.

• Aug 19, 2009

With no real narrative or dialog to drive this documentary forward, unless one is already familiar with the band, this film does not help in explaining how such an original group has become. Fans will tolerate and enjoy this, non-fans and casual listeners will be lost and annoyed.

• May 13, 2009

This was obviously not shot as a documentary, especially towards the beginning, because nobody would shoot a documentary about a band that is not famous yet, and possibly never would be. It does offer a lot of insight into what went on behind the scenes right then and there, but not nearly enough for my tastes - then again, that's what happens when you truncate 6 years of footage into an hour and a half film. I think the editors of this had a tradeoff - show a lot more but make it a lot longer, or make it short and sweet but cut out massive amounts of footage, and honestly I think they made the right choice here. I liked this a lot, despite it not being 'a proper doc', etc. There's something about how honest it is - it doesn't try to cast Damon and Jamie in any light other than the one they cast themselves in - a lot of documentaries these days, especially if the doc is about someone famous and dead, are inaccurate. There are a lot of people in those who are old and can't remember very much, a lot of people who are simply riding the publicity wave, and a lot of people who gloss over the more touchy subject matter in order to portray the doc's subject positiviely, out of post-mortem respect or to masturbate someone's ego or whatever. This one's honest, and the lack of secondhand interviews, or even firsthand ones, is a good thing. This did inspire me to do something novel, if nothing else. It did back up my belief people take themselves too seriously (as Damon put it) not only in the music business but everywhere. Hell, if these guys can make Gorillaz and get famous and make lots of money AND do what they like/have fun, why the hell can't I?

• May 02, 2009

Aside from a few candid moments, this documentary was pretty bland. The editor could have (and should have) condensed the movie down to its real 20 minutes.

• Apr 24, 2009

This was an interesting look at the journey of The Gorillaz, but there is practically no narrative. Its essentially just some random footage of the members of the band. Still, if you are very knowledgeable about the band and have been following them for a while, you can get some interesting bits of insight from the documentary.