Band of Angels - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Band of Angels Reviews

October 12, 2015
Fantastic movie !!!!!! The magic that appears on screen is sooooo wonderful!!!!
June 20, 2015
very very good. I watched this at least 3 times...but not for many years...and it still is very memorable to me...and look at the cast!!
November 20, 2014
Another civil war film for Clark Gable to get his teeth into, although Yvonne De Carlo undertakes most of the emotional parts. It's a pretty good effort centring around the final years of the slave trade in America, although there's a Hollywood righteousness about the whole production that puts slightly more effort into a happy conclusion than the issues themselves - although this was pretty normal for this period in cinema.
December 29, 2013
One of the best movies ever!
½ October 29, 2013
Gable, de Carlo, & Poitier. Wow. A tale of slavery and prejudice which will challenge any notions the viewer may hold. The truth is only as simple as we choose choose to perceive it. Worth watching more than once.
November 17, 2011
Ridiculous, disjointed, period flick set during the Civil War. Yvonne De Carlo (Lily Munster) plays a ultra light-skinned black woman (ha ha) sold into slavery and purchased by a nice-guy slave owner Hamish Bond (Clark Gable). Of course she falls in love with him, for he really is a nice "master". Bond is like a savior of the blacks he owns. Later we learn he is making up for his evil past as a slave trader. Bond flees the "carpet-bagging" nothern soldiers, and goes into hiding. Sidney Portier plays Raru, a freed ex-slave of Bond's, who is temporarily angered by his history with Bond. In the end he realizes the error in his judgement and helps Bond escape with De Carlo. This film is rife with stereo-types and plenty of bias against the "Blue Bellies". There are negative portrayals of nearly every Union soldier. And plenty of stereotyped cartoon character blacks and southern whites. Efrem Zimbalist Jr makes a cameo.
½ November 6, 2011
It's well shot and full of excellent performances. However, as a film about racism and slavery it's often confused and dated even though it's clearly trying. Too much of its power derives from outmoded ideas and representations.
August 5, 2011
No classic, but still entertaining. I'm tempted to rate this lower for being a racist relic, but then I'd also have to lower my ratings for Birth of a Nation and Triumph of the Will.
July 20, 2011
recommended by pinkminkprincess.......
July 17, 2011
Directed by Walsh, who appeared in "Birth of a Nation" in 1915 and after half a century is still arguing the benefits of slavery and condemning Africa for the slave trade. Totally wrong and intolerable. This movie should come with a warning about its overt racism and revisionist view on an institution that must be condemned and not apologized for.
July 17, 2011
good stuff ALL STAR CAST BUT WAS A LITTLE SURPRIZED 2 SEE POITIER PLAYING A SLAVE BECAUSE HE WAS CAREFUL NOT TO TAKE ROLES LIKE THIS ONE BUT HEY EVERYBODY HAS TO EAT!
½ April 7, 2011
I NEED TO FIND A PICTURE OF THE AMAZING BLUE BALL GOWN THAT YVONNE DE CARLO WORE! IT WAS AMAZING!!!
December 23, 2009
Southern beauty has a slave mother, the secret is exposed after her father´s death, and thus poor Amarantha (Yvonne DeCarlo) is sold as a slave. She is bought by ex-slavetrader (Clark Gable) and more melodrama ensues. Sure, the film does not really show rottenness of Southern upperclass - if you were unlucky enough to be born as poor white, you were subhuman - but it has richly romantic colours, sets and costumes, making this visually gorgeous movie, and lot of unpretentious vibrancy. A movie like a romance novel - and a good one.
ScoopOnline
December 11, 2009
Clarke Gable Movies such as this show me how Paradoxic Love is.
½ December 11, 2009
In the attempt to go against racism, it winds up being racist. I was almost in tears hearing the N word coming out of Clark's mouth, an actor with whom I appreciate. I heard the film was attempt at trying to rekindling or bring back Gone With the Wind -- much like Mogambo tried but failed at bringing back Red Dust -- and likewise it just wasn't happening.

The premise being of a rich girl and her father living at mansion (?) around the time of the American Civil War (1861-1865). Her father bought more slaves than two people could possibly need, but generally gave them their freedom, much unlike the rest of the people of the time. When her father suddenly dies, the truth of her mother comes out- her mother was black. She's quickly yanked away from her riches with the rest of the people that worked with her and sold onto the slave market. First problem for me being... the actress is white! Yeah, very risky... Anyway, Clark's character buys her for an enormous sum and brings her back to his place in New Orleans. She's spends all her time telling the white people around her that she's black and the black people around her that she's white, complains about her situation, when so far all we see is her getting showered with presents and being catered to. Skip forward, and Clark's character tells her *why* he's made it his job to save slaves, because *he* was an abusive and merciless killer and slave trader. And BOY, the details on that one leaves me thinking he's still got some racism left in his system-- that the man with whom he brought an education was the son of the woman he slain, and this man, played by Sydney, is later told about this little secret and let go when all hell breaks loose with the war... but even after they reconcile as foster parent and son, we MUST keep at least fifty feet distance as we say goodbye...

Good sets and costumes, and of course the acting was alright- otherwise, don't waste your time. This movie pi$$ed me off something awful. Not only did it not learn its lesson, it's about ten years after movies started learning their lessons. Fail! 3.2/10
½ June 17, 2009
Clark Gable Should've Stopped Playing Southerners

I am very confused by a lot of this movie. First off, they make Rau-Ru (Sidney Poitier) sing a shanty early in. Because, hey, he's a slave. They can make him sing if they want to. But I don't think it's really him singing. It's a baritone, which I'm quite sure a singing Sidney Poitier wouldn't be; speaking, he sounds like a tenor. And no one, anyone, has a Southern accent. Oh, I wasn't expecting it from Clark Gable. Clark Gable never has a Southern accent. And Sidney Poitier has his own rich, beautiful voice. (And he worked to remove his accent.) Dollie (Tommie Moore) just sounds obnoxious. Michele (Carolle Drake) sounds nice, but not from New Orleans. There are other problems, which I'll get to in a minute, but that's the start.

Young, lovely, weirdly-named Amantha Starr (Yvonne De Carlo) returns from a private Northern girls' boarding school to her father's Kentucky plantation, coming just too late to be at his deathbed. During the funeral, it turns out that . . . he owed money? Anyway, we also find out that Amantha's mother was a slave! Therefore, she is one, too, despite the fact that her father obviously raised her as a legitimate daughter and might therefore have been assumed to have freed her at birth. Or anyway, at some point before his death. Also, he never told her. So she gets taken into slavery, real slavery, at the funeral. She is hauled South into New Orleans and sold at an auction, that, given the era, does not really cover the issues that would have come up at an auction of a young, attractive, white-seeming, [i]virginal[/i] woman. The also improbably-named Hamish Bond pays $5000 for her, and she ends up as his mistress. But since it's Clark Gable, he seduces her, and she falls in love with him, and so forth. No rape here.

So, yeah, let's talk about the newly-enslaved "Manthy." There would seem to be only one possible destination for her. Assuming the whole sequence of events would have/could have happened in the first place, of course. At any rate, Manthy would not have been sold in the auction with all the others. She would have been a . . . specialty purchase. Beautiful, intelligent, accomplished, and accustomed to passing. (Not that you can really call it that of someone who believed that she was all white.) It's clear that Clark Gable is buying her so that she will be his mistress, and it's clear that $5000 will pay for that. But for heaven's sake, she would have been worth quite a lot to a "cathouse." Certainly she would not have been sold in the same auction as field hands. Equally certainly, she would not have been raped before the auction.

Another thing I find interesting is that, when Seth Parton (Rex Reason, or Cal from [i]This Island Earth[/i]), who knew her before, confronts her about the fact that she is once again, or for the first time, passing for white, he denounces her only briefly for having been Clark Gable's mistress. Oh, fine, he acknowledges that it was a bad thing. However, he basically brushes it off. He's going to spend much more time yelling about her colour. The funny thing is that I thought the Code would have been more down on the sex than the colour. Shows what I know, I guess. Miscegenation was still a powerful fear, even in 1957. Arguably more so in 1957--as blacks got more rights, the fears of those who wanted to put them down increased. The only way they could show the love story between Hamish and Manthy in the first place was by having her played by a white woman. (Don't be fooled by the name--Yvonne De Carlo was from Vancouver.) I don't think they noticed that she basically had more chemistry with Sidney Poitier.

So how does the movie treat slavery? Michele's love for her owner is basically forgotten, and it's pretty much assumed to be Just One of Those Things. While it is arguably true that the slaves would not be all that much better under the sharecropping system after the War, let's fact it--those sharecroppers were not being mistreated by the Northerners. They weren't treated [i]well[/i] in the North, true, but it was Southern gentlemen like Hamish who put them back in bondage. Rau-Ru's grievances are supposed to be blown out of proportion--Hamish taught him and treated him well, right? What's his problem? General Benjamin Butler (Marshall Bradford) is shown as more racist than the slave owner and former slave trader Hamish, despite the fact that Butler later turned out to be a champion of civil rights for blacks. Not all Northerners were. But to make Butler the villain is to make quite clear that your sympathies do not lie with the slaves.
½ March 31, 2009
Sub-sub-sub-Gone with the Wind tale of Southern Gentlemen, some of whom are decent chaps despite having slaves. Or, at least, they are if they're Clark Gable. Lots of lavish gowns and so-called manners but achieves little in the way of championing the slaves.
½ March 30, 2009
Una de las mas desconocidas (al menos para mi) peliculas de Sidney Poitier.
Me gusto mucho.
Razones para ver y querer esta pelicula?: Sidney Poitier, Clark Gable y su banda sonora :-) Se pueden escuchar grandes 'Negro Spirituals' bellamente interpretados. De esas canciones, reconoci inmediatamente "Wade In The Water", "In That Great Getting Up Morning" y la hermosa "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot".
La actriz Yvonne De Carlo hizo un buen trabajo y la historia esta bien contada.
Todo lo anterior merece cinco estrellas y no las cuatro estrellas que le di a esta pelicula. POR QUE no fueron cinco?. Pues porque, al igual que de "Lo Que El Viento Se Llevo", pienso que "Band Of Angels" es ASQUEROSAMENTE PRO-SUR! y al igual que el clasico que protagonizara Gable y Vivien Leigh, no le interesa en lo mas minimo mostrar las atrocidades que significo la esclavitud. Siento que incluso la defiende. Una verguenza. Pero bueno, estas peliculas fueron hechas en una epoca demasiado dificil para

Pero la presencia de Poitier, la actuacion de Gable y las bellas canciones negras que aparecen, hacen que valga la pena verla al menos una vez.
½ March 12, 2009
a good story of the old south