Band of the Hand - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Band of the Hand Reviews

February 3, 2016
A group of juvenile delinquents in their teens consisting of Ruben Julian Pacecho AKA "Mira Primo" (Michael Carmine), Moss Roosevelt AKA "Warlord" (Leon Robinson), James Lee MacEwen AKA "Crazy" (John Cameron Mitchell), Carlos Rene Aragon AKA "The Lover" (Danny Quinn) and Dorcey Jon Bridger AKA "Rattler" (Al Shannon) who are doomed to be prosecuted as adults for their crimes unless they take part in a new and experimental "program" led by the Vietnam veteran and Native American Joe Tegra (Stephen Lang) from the Everglades. The teens must learn to survive in the dangerous swamp and how to work together. Upon completion of the program, the group buys a vacant house in a dangerous part of Miami and slowly rebuilds the neighbourhood, kicking out the pimps, prostitutes and drug dealers...

With Starsky and Hutch's Paul Michael Glaser in the direction seat and Michael Mann in the production seat there´s many connections to Mann´s great tv show "Miami Vice" not only in settings and environments, but also actors. The criminal look and style follows the same formula and has an in depth portrayal of the sleaze and the slime of the big city criminal underground of the 1980's. "Band of The Hand" is a juvenile action adventure in pastel colours not avoiding the day to day street violence in Miami, however the dialogue and acting is not always spot on and there´s a general cheesy 80s vibe around the film as well. Nice to see the always intense Stephen Lang, a young and beautiful Lauren Holly and the 80s standard baddie James Remar. Trivia: The film was released in theaters but only after it failed as a pilot for a network television series.
September 5, 2015
Huge fan of the film. Infinitely quotable. Slick and schlocky. Michael Carmine is a hoot and will be tragically missed.
June 25, 2015
i like quite a few 80s movies but this one missed the mark. it jumps all over the place and tough to really feel for any of the main characters. utterly forgettable.
December 7, 2012
Great film. Time piece. Loved it growing up, love it now.
½ November 5, 2012
Follows the formula of hard-ass war vet takes groups of teens who have never seen Scared Straight and whips them into a band of crime fighters, out to beat down Miami's drug lords. It is cashing in on the popularity of Miami Vice with the location, clothes, and drugs but this is below the level of all the Andy Sidaris movies, especially due to the lack of cleavage, even with a young Lauren Holly.
½ October 28, 2012
Poor Bob Dylan. Hooray 80's outfits and gang warfare.

2009 Movies: 102
June 11, 2012
if someone can send me this movie or tell me how to watch it ...it would be gr8
June 9, 2012
watched this one along time ago was a gr8 movie
May 12, 2012
I would love to find this on DVD awesome movie . shame I never even see it on premium channels :(
May 9, 2012
AWESOME MOVIE THEN, AWESOME MOVIE NOW!
March 31, 2012
I miss my rocky coral home!
November 2, 2011
Life was probably like this during the 80:s in Miami. It reminded me a bit of the Cocain Cowboys.
August 6, 2011
Band of the Hand is a truly terrible film. Horrible acting and plot. Avoid at all costs!
May 15, 2011
THIS MOVIE IS LIKE A LONG, LONG EPISODE OF MIAMI VICE.
February 8, 2011
OK, typical 80's movie, but how do I get hold of the soundtrack. I have searched and it is gone. It was not just Bob Dylans song that was great but I am pretty sure the other band is now up and running. Please anyone who might have some insight to the soundtrack let me know.
½ January 5, 2011
Great movie.. Classic flix
½ December 10, 2010
Another "almost" film, like The Island(1980), that is conceptually interesting but ultimately beyond logic(and into hyperbolic territory, which makes b-action films so good). Micheal Mann's(the producer) style(at least, his style in the 80s) is prevalent throughout the film and I suspect the movie been better if he had actually directed it. Note "Larry" Fishbourne as a Miami pimp/gang leader and James Remar( Dexter's dad) as a druglord.
½ July 9, 2010
"The Mod Squad" meets "Miami Vice" in this Michael Mann produced film, which was originally an unsuccessful TV pilot that was later released as a theatrical film. Not all that good, but it does have camp value. The real star of the film is Laurence Fishburne's hair cut.
July 4, 2010
It's Mod Squad meets Miami Vice and was a regular staple in my mid teens back in the mid 80's when HBO took a great movie like let's say Band of the Hand and showed it a couple of thousand times a year and as a 16 year old you never got tired of watching it. I still don't get tired seeing this rag tag bunch of j.d.'s get rehabilitated in a Florida swamp and open up a can of whoop a$$, I mean gopher gas on kingpin Remar and his cocaine cartel. Watch it once and you will watch it again.
May 25, 2010
Sadly Band of the Hand is vastly underrated and overlooked. It's a hugely entertaining, cheesy 80's action flick which is often labelled as complete rubbish by flim snobs. It's a fun little movie with a great cast who were relatively unknown at the time who went on to much bigger things. Yes, it's incredibly silly and cheesy but it's also very stylish and entertaining so I personally rate it. It's very much a product of it's time but I love the clothes, hairstyles and especially the music. It all adds to the fun factor.