Bandolero - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bandolero Reviews

February 27, 2016
......Great solid western.....Exceptional score by Jerry Goldsmith....Stewart is his usual exceptional self.....Martin is passable.....Ending is satisfying.....The film has some solid comedic scenes......which is somewhat unusual for a western....
August 19, 2015
He's not as tough as he smells.

Dee and Mace Bishop are brothers that have recently been reunited after Mace pretends to be a hangman during his brother's trial. A shootout ensues and they escape. Along their way they encounter a woman out for revenge and money...sounds exactly like their type. As they try to find a way to go right and avoid the law, their natural ways get in the way.

"It appears to me I misjudged you."

Andrew McLaglen, director of Have Gun Will Travel, Gunsmoke, McLintock, The Wild Geese, Sahara (1983), The Sea Wolves, and Shenandoah, delivers Bandolero! The storyline for this picture is pretty good and fun to watch unfold. The characters are fascinating and eccentric and the cast delivers solid performances. The cast includes James Stewart, Dean Martin, Raquel Welch, George Kennedy, and Will Geer.

"He robbed a bank."
"Who?"
"The hangman."

I came across this on Netflix and had to add it to the wish list since it starred the legend James Stewart. This was far from his best work and this was a pretty average, straightforward western. There wasn't too much original here. I wouldn't go too out of my way to see this unless you're a fan of the genre.

"I was a whore at thirteen and my family never went hungry."

Grade: C+
August 8, 2015
boring and completely forgettable
July 2, 2015
Passable western from journeyman director Andrew V. McLaglen. James Stewart and Dean Martin play outlaw brothers on the run from the law and crossing the Mexico border with beautiful hostage Raquel Welch. There's nothing all that memorable about the film, but it's competently made, has nice scenery and a strong cast that besides Martin, Stewart and Welch includes George Kennedy (As Sheriff July Jonson, a name later reused in "Lonesome Dove"), Will Geer, Denver Pyle, Harry Carey Jr. Perry Lopez and Dub Taylor. Jerry Goldsmith provided the score.
½ August 8, 2014
140808: Quite a good movie with what I consider a surprising finale. Good characters, western stars I recognize from my younger years and some really big hair on Welch's part. Plenty of action and a little humour. All's well.
December 11, 2013
good western later western
December 7, 2013
James Stewart and Dean Martin are cast very good.. A good western.
May 21, 2013
Entertaining Western with gunplay, action, pursuits and Raquel Welch--Standard Oater!!
½ December 6, 2012
Not as bad as the critics make it out to be. If you like westerns, you'll like it.
June 20, 2012
Pop Chaney: "You see, there things a man ought never do - spit in church, scratch his self in front of his ma, and pick his nose. Yes that's what my pa learned me and it stood me in good step."
½ December 20, 2011
I remember seeing this movie for the first time on TV in the 1970's. Right at the beginning the movie titles set the story in 1867 Texas. The Dean Martin character and his gang try to rob a bank but are caught before they can get away. Jimmy Stewart plays his brother who comes to help his brother escape before he is hung. He comes across a hangman who claims to be from Oklahoma City and has come down from Oklahoma to hang a Texan. However, in 1867 Oklahoma didn't exist. There was no Oklahoma City until April 22, 1889 when the Oklahoma Territory was opened to settlement. In 1867 what is now Oklahoma was Indian Territory. And as usual in a 1960's Western the weapons used weren't from 1867 but were modern weapons modified to look like they came from 1867. They never show what happened to the hangman but Jimmy Stewart takes his cloths, horse and equipment and goes to his brother's hanging. At the hanging he helps his brother and his gang members escape. The lead up to the escape is the best part of the movie. After the escape they kidnap Raquel Welch and flee to Mexico. After this it is just a standard Sheriff chasing the outlaws story. In the end they all have to fight off a gang of Mexican bandits and everyone except Raquel Welch and the Sheriff dies.
½ June 17, 2011
Not by any means a very good western but because of it's cast one which is still worth a look.
½ May 23, 2011
Boasting superb direction and a top-notch cast, 'Bandolero!' is an entertaining, amiable Western likely to appeal to any fans of the genre. Stewart and Martin make an amusing pair of outlaw brothers, the supporting cast give solid performances, and the entire movie is loaded with excitement. Unfortunately, genre cliches are rife and 'Bandolero!' seriously lacks lasting value. However, the quirky humour and pleasing romantic touches render this 60's Western enjoyable for almost any audience. Charming, spirited, and oftentimes amusing, 'Bandolero!' is remarkably entertaining, and definitely worth watching.
June 20, 2010
I liked watching Dean Martin in this role. It was unexpected but I think he did a great job. James Stewart was good as well, but all the other characters bored me a little.
April 28, 2010
Dean Martin never gets enough praise in his westerns
April 2, 2010
This is a 60`s western with quite a cast, most notably James Stewart, Dean Martin, George Kennedy and Raquel Welch. And the movies starts off real well; Martin plays outlaw Dee Bishop, who gets caught with his gang trying to rob a bank. They are about to be hanged, but along comes Stewart, who plays Mace Bishop, Dee Bishops older brother. The gang leaves town in a hurry, kidnapping Mrs Stoner on their way out. George Kennedy plays the lawman; putting together a posse and following the gang.

And well, I found this movie to be somewhat disappointing. It starts off well, but gets a bit boring after a while. Stewart has done several better parts than this, and Martin seems to lack some of his natural charisma in this one. The story also seems to lose focus, and everything gets a bit repetive as time goes by. Raquel Welch is pretty, and looks like she just got out of the beauty parlour though she has been on the run in desert country for weeks. So, to sum it up: It is a rather mediocre western, with lovely photography, a star-filled casting and a rather disengaging story. No classic, in my opinion, but watchable on a rainy day, if you have nothing better to do.
jjnxn
December 16, 2009
Decent western, actually has the feel of a 50's western more than one made in the late 60's, in a good way. It's a bit of a stretch to accept Jimmy and Dean as brothers but it doesn't hurt the overall film. Briskly directed and with a good cast of reliable supporting performers.
½ November 18, 2009
A very average Western....watch it if theres nothing else you have to watch
November 10, 2009
Raquel Welch was o so 2 hot!!!
September 25, 2009
Jimmy Stewart, Dino and Raquel. Add a beer and a steak...life don't get much better.