The Banger Sisters - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Banger Sisters Reviews

June 26, 2015
Hawn and Sarandan have chemistry but the script is just a generic pukefest.
December 25, 2014
Sarandon and teaming her up with Goldie Shawn in her last screen role, The Banger Sister sounded like a well-cast buddy comedy.

The Banger Sisters delivered exactly what I expected but something far from what I had hoped. The fact is that The Banger Sisters is a film easy to watch due to likeable characters and a light atmosphere as well as some mildly interesting situations, but for one which clearly wants to be a comedy, it is surprisingly unfunny. It shouldn't surprise me because I expected a basic buddy comedy film, and there was enough of a light atmosphere to prevent the film from being melodramatic, but what got me was the fact that there was not a single moment in the film where I laughed. I enjoyed the experience in some ways because the gentle manner of the film made for easy viewing, but there was no laughs stemming from me. There were times when I nearly smiled, but it seemed like The Banger Sisters was just a light drama with some slightly comic subtext. There is nothing new to gain from watching The Banger Sisters that doesn't come from the cast because the script is just thrown together with a derivative plot that has no real direction or objective to it. It is a film about characters, and while the actors bring those characters to life, that is barely thanks to the script. The Banger Sisters is just so bereft of humour that it is surprising, but at the same time it is at least good that they didn't have to force it. The Banger Sisters would work better as a drama, but it clearly wants to be a comedy without trying that hard at all. There were moments of comic potential which were ignored and others which were played off as they would be in the real world, but they just never get to the maximum potential which is a true shame. For his directional debut, Bob Dolman makes his inexperience clear because he leaves the film to rely on the talents of the cast while his screenplay is uncreative and his directional effort fails to make up for it. There is an audience for the film, but that is all reliant on how much viewers love to see the key actresses still going while there is nothing else to boast about. If anyone was to recommend The Banger Sisters to you, I can guarantee you, it would not be for any reason aside from the efforts of Goldie Hawn and Susan Sarandon because they breathe some much-needed life into the empty 98 minutes of meaningless plotting which is far from original or thoughtful.
Goldie Hawn is undoubtedly the standout actor of The Banger Sisters' cast. In an age where sex appeal is dominated by photoshopped models with eating disorders or musicians with oversized butts, Goldie Hawn is a refreshing sight maintaining seductive sex appeal at age 57. She is salacious, smooth and seductive all in one which is a refreshing sight considering her comedic legacy from films such as Private Benjamin. She puts her natural persona into the part which is the slightly ditzy but deeply intelligent blond female archetype, and her charisma comes into play because of how casually she approaches the rough subject matter. As part of the contrast between her role as the free spirited Suzette and the uptight Lavinia Kingsley, the comic direction that Goldie Hawn takes the material in brings a lot of life into The Banger Sisters. She even continuously pokes fun at her real-life breast augmentation which makes it a cleverly self-deprecating role which she uses for comic benefit without ever actually insulting herself. For Goldie Hawn's final screen role to date, her leading effort in The Banger Sisters is a great one to go out on which reminds us that she still has all her talents on board, and I hope to see her back acting again some day.
Susan Sarandon is also grand. Although I expected as much from her, she still managed to surprise me because of the way she transitions in the part. While her screen time is smaller than you would think, she still makes a great impact. When she first enters the screen she follows a very uptight archetype, and as the chemistry between her and Goldie Hawn develops we begin to see a more energetic and passionate side of her which is a fun change of pace for Susan Sarandon. When she teams up with Goldie Hawn and they hit the town, the energy in the film increases really nicely. Susan Sarandon is a nice lead in The Banger Sisters simply becase of her one minute she is different to Goldie Hawn's character and the next minute they are an inseparable. The pairing of the two of them in The Banger Sisters is a lot of fun to watch because they keep a certain amount of charm in the atmosphere throughout all the story dynamics. The two of them are just a wonderfully charming pair, and their combined efforts surely make The Banger Sisters a memorable film.
Geoffrey Rush is also a welcome presence. Bringing more dramatic sense to the story, Geoffrey Rush plays a man angry at the world and his father which is changed when his life is touched by the free spirit of Suzette. You can see a sense of development in him which maintains a few minor comedy elements and some strong dramatic ones. He steps into the role easily and anchors a sense of meaning in the role which is more than you would expect from a supporting effort in a derivative comedy film. Geoffrey Rush reminds us that he never fails to do his part, even in the most basic material.

So The Banger Sisters gains unflinching benefit from the efforts of Goldie Hawn and Susan Sarandon in a charming duo, but around them is nothing but weak, derivative plotting and an absence of humour.
December 10, 2014
Hawn and Sarandon are pretty good as the best friends, but the "seen it before script" and the pedestrian direction kind of drag it down. Geoffrey Rush is wasted here and it seems like the cast was assembled based on how much acting hardware they already had.
August 23, 2014
An unrealistic story about two old friends who reunite and reminisce over their days of being groupies for rock bands. It has some lame moments, but it is a feel-good buddy movie that is watchable. (First and only viewing - 8/22/2014)
July 18, 2014
Funny and madcap. Goldie goes in search of her groupie friend and finds a starchy Sarandon. The characters are quirky, and they are loosely held together... but the charm of the film makes it. Geoff Rush is a good addition.
January 3, 2014
A little film more interesting to watch for the duo of brilliant actresses than the actual storyline but never mind it's easy to watch, fun & interesting enough to keep you entertained for two hours.
December 3, 2013
Goldie Hawn and Susan Sarandon are ex-groupies who cataloged photos of all the cocks they came across. Brilliant idea, but the execution falls flat. Hawn is an absolute riot as a free spirit who knows her way around a good raunchy line, while Sarandon gets the role of the tight-ass now living unhappily as a wife and mother. Writer-director Bob Doleman turns what could have been hot fun into tepid fluff.
May 28, 2013
It's funny and Goldie Hawn kills it.
½ April 11, 2013
Pretty decent film about two groupies, one who still is basically, and one is hides her past.

The biggest knock on this film is that it needed to be far far longer. We get a good idea about Hawn's character, but I felt like the Sarandon one and her family stuff went by way too fast and seemed too easy. One scene they are all hating on Hawn, a few minutes later they love her? Just seemed like a good 30 minutes was edited out in the final scenes.

So the film gives us a lot of great characters, but not enough time with them. Even Rush seems like he had a lot more development to give.

The film is never boring and that's mostly cause of Hawn. She looks really fine in this film, and her character is so much fun.

A nice Buck Cherry cameo as well.
March 31, 2013
Nice name for a movie.
December 7, 2012
Umm ahem banger?????For thinly scripted fluff, The Banger Sisters sure is a lot of fun. With Goldie Hawn and Susan Sarandon as former groupies now settling into their fifties, this predictable comedy gets a zesty boost of vitality and unsentimental nostalgia.
September 24, 2012
Great idea - rubbish film
August 24, 2012
A promising premise wasted. I really like these gals too. Its a shame they couldnt have made this more of a hoot. Being stuck in their Groupie Past is sadly pathetic, we all have to grow up some time. Besides, I wouldn't be too proud to be called the "Banger Sisters!"
It a shame that Bob Dolman (The Director) never fully developed the characters or utilized either Sarandon or Hawn's talents to improve its lacking humor.
July 12, 2012
Take away the stupid plot, and we'd really have something here.
½ June 21, 2012
There's something with potential here, but the movie decides, like Lavinia, to go the conservative route.
½ June 9, 2012
groupies had their day & reunite for s'more good times... that's what friends are for...
½ May 28, 2012
no sirve esa pelicula
May 9, 2012
Written and directed by Bob Dolman, (who did the screenplays for Willow (1988) and Far and Away (1992)), this is a light hearted comedy-drama about reunion and catching up on old times. It's got a good pairing, but sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but it has it's moments of fun throughout. Suzette (Goldie Hawn) is an ex-groupie who works behind the bar at Whisky A Go-Go in Los Angeles, a famous rock venue back in the day. When Suzette is sacked for drinking on the job, she ends up penniless, and in a moment of nostalgia, she decides to drive out to Phoenix, Arizona to meet up with her old groupie friend Vinnie (Susan Sarandon). At a gas station, with an empty tank and no money for fuel, she picks up neurotic writer Harry Plummer (Geoffrey Rush), who is on his way home after failing to make it big in LA. In Phoenix, Suzette is reunited with Vinnie, and finds out she is a conservative mother with two spoilt, obnoxious daughters Hannah (Erika Christensen) and Ginger (Eva Amurri Martino), and is in a rut. But, Suzette seems to come along at the right time. It's gently amusing with some good laughs and good rock and roll anecdotes, it's like Almost Famous for the middle aged generation. The sad thing about the film is that Goldie Hawn hasn't made another one since this came out, whereas Sarandon and Rush's careers have gone from strength to strength. Let's hope Hawn returns soon.
May 7, 2012
A far from flawless comedy, this is one of those films that captivates its audience by using the charm of its stars. Although a little sappy at times, this is all about having fun without compromise.
May 5, 2012
could have done so much more with this