Baohulu de mimi (The Secret of the Magic Gourd) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Baohulu de mimi (The Secret of the Magic Gourd) Reviews

½ June 5, 2016
just Disney trying to profit on Asian anime a total kiddie movie
½ June 4, 2016
Moo goo gai pan. Cream of sum yung gy. Stir fri cat. Mi yong gow hoochi goochi mow ying. Terrible. Boring. Crappy animation. Dumb story. Ugh.
February 6, 2013
Demasiado obvia y cliche, con efectos especiales demasiado falsos, personajes poco interesantes, quizas tenga escenarios agradables, pero honestamente esta peli es mas recomendada para los chinos, ya que ni editaron la peli en letreros y otras vainas que estan en mandarin para lo que no saben madarin -_- ni en espaņol ni ingles... No se como pueden pasar esta peli millones de veces en disney XD...
½ June 13, 2012
This is at least better than watching Stephen Chow's "CJ7" which was released a year later after this film by roughly a notch, especially in terms of its mature plot and character development.

My Rating: 3.5/5 stars; Grade: B; Gesture: One Thumb Up; Status: Somewhat Good (Fresh).
½ December 5, 2011
1960's version is better
October 30, 2010
Tertarik menyaksikan film ini karena film Cina ini didistribusikan oleh studio besar penyuplai film-film keluarga, Walt Disney. Cerita yang dihadirkan kurang lebih sama dengan filmnya Stephen Chow, CJ7. 45 menit pertama film ini sangat kekanak-kanakan sekali, anda akan dibawa pada hal-hal yang mustahil yang biasa diimpikan anak. Anda yang menyaksikan untuk diri anda sendiri pasti agak susah menikmatinya. Tapi selepas itu, untungnya film ini mampu membangunkan mood penonton yang sudah dewasa. Penggunaan spesial effect mendominasi film ini, tapi sayangnya masih terlihat kasar dan kaku. Karakter labu ajaibnya sendiri juga kurang lucu. Dibandingkan dengan film CJ7, menurut saya film ini dilihat dari pesan moralnya dan keseluruhan cerita masih lebih unggul. Tapi itu tadi, lebih baik tonton film ini sembari anda menemani anak atau keponakan. Daripada anda kecele, 'maksa' tertawa-tawa sendiri dengan adegan yang hanya pantas ditertawakan oleh anak usia sekolah dasar.
June 9, 2010
the kids LOVE IT. great stuff!
xtremeandy
½ April 1, 2010
THE SECRET OF THE MAGIC GOURD is a mixture of Disneyesque proportions with heavy Chinese influences. Although not troubling in terms of entertainment, it is if you're in the entertainment industry. How far will we go to save an extra buck? The story itself does battle with inconsistencies and an incredibly simple ? if not downright ridiculous ? premise. It is the story of a boy and his ...well ...gourd. A magic gourd rumored to live not far from Bau Hu Lu (Chinese child star Peisi Chen) and spoken of in fable form by Bau's grandmother. The gourd, it is rumored, will grant any wish to whomever is its master. For Bau, who is lazy and wants nothing to do with his school work, it seems like a dream come true when he meets up with the Magic Gourd. But having all your wishes granted can turn to nightmares, as Bau learns. And the lesson is easily transparent for adults and kids alike. Perhaps too transparent.

Bau learns a few life basics by doing his own work and becoming a better person for it. No surprise.

One of the bigger story issues I had was the occasional incorporation of a frog-friend to the gourd who seemed to have no other purpose than to hop around and croak at us a few times. What gives? Nothing remotely challenging can be found in this hybrid Chinese/American fantasy.

Raymond Bao is your typical 11-year-old boy. He's Chinese, which makes him statistically typical. He's lazy and not interested in doing what it takes to be successful at whatever school wants him to do. He's heard the story of the Magic Gourd and of course wants to find it. As things turn out, it finds him.

Gourds are, as you will recall, basically hollow. This one is no exception, especially in the upper part, where the brains ought to be. It therefore never thinks wishes through, but grants them very literally, including brainless (of course) speculations as to what "master" really wants.

The results are naturally disastrous. Over and over and over ? and OVER ? again. You would certainly think somebody would catch on. The audience ought to right away, but most of reviews of this film seem to indicate a gourd-like quality in the reviewers. The gourd seems to have caught on in the end, sort of. Raymond catches on at last and gets rid of the gourd. He then actually works for a goal (winning a track meet), which of course he does because this is a Disney film. Not for Disney the moral complexity and ambiguity of trying to explain how it's all right to practice your guts out and still not quite make it.

I'm sure some of you are waiting for the other bits like subplots, subtexts, secondary plots, or anything to make this more than a very long 8-minute cartoon. Actually, "Magic Gourd" is even less complex than an 8-minute cartoon. Animated humor for children is most successful when it aims some of its content toward adult viewers. Adults need not apply here.

What we have here is a film that's got a moral point to hammer home, and hammer it does ? so much so that even the most retarded 3-year-old will get the point by the time the story's half-way done. This klutzy production has nothing on its ? um, ? mind but beating its little viewers about their collective heads with a single point. The lack of variety is positively stultifying. I was riveted to my seat with boredom. Any child with half a brain would be, too ? I would hope. Nobody, however immature, should be subjected to this nursery rhyme gone mad.

On the other hand, I can see how children might actually like things like this. The results from our schools indicate that the little troglodytes flee from mental challenges, despise learning, and are generally less attractive than the pre-Gourd Raymond Bao. This sort of explains why, for instance, the study of evolution is so unpopular in intellectually challenged areas such as the inbred South and the Midwest. It's so complicated and hard to understand ? like long division. It's so much easier to believe that some Magic Gourd in the sky made everything.

A boy learns the meaning of work after a magic gourd grants him anything he wants.
½ January 7, 2010
looks interesting...
½ December 14, 2009
The Secret of the Magic Gourd is Disney's first CGI/animation full length feature produced for the Chinese mainland market.
½ August 31, 2009
Wang Bao, a young Chinese boy living in Beijing finds Bailey, an animated magical gourd which grants him anything he wants and ultimately teaches him the value of hard work.
August 26, 2009
good movie for children....
½ August 25, 2009
Although this movie reminded me a lot of CJ7, the magic Gourd is just to badass to give this film anything less than 3.5 stars.
August 18, 2009
i'd play this movie for my lil cousins the next time they visit.. theyd love to see fish flying.. toys coming to life.. :) and a gourd that would grant them wishes.
½ July 20, 2009
The special effects were quite remarkable. The movie is about a boy who discovers the value of hard work after being given everything that he wished for. A nice, inspirational movie for young, lazy students.
½ July 14, 2009
good movie for young children
July 13, 2009
smaLL thiNgz can makE us haFFY..as loNg as naAy effoRT..i lYk diZ moviE...
½ May 21, 2009
It's ok, just not my kind of movie.
March 14, 2009
lovely. had nothing to not like about it. plot is manufactured for kids and story line as well but hey nice little movie that maybe needed to be scripted.
February 24, 2009
This Movie is sad...I felt bad for the Gourd :( ..the kid is sooo selfish ..the movie is funny too..lol especially the Gourd..I feel so bad for him :'(