Baraboo Reviews

• Jul 27, 2010

MMF Flick 2: Midway through this movie, I was afraid this might be another Madison, but it pulled itself together. Lovely movie about a handful of souls that all quietly help each other. Gorgeous shots of the Wisconsin countryside.

• Apr 16, 2010

If one is to highlight the greatest thing about "Baraboo" it would be that it captures small town Wisconsin like no other film before it. Sadly, I'm not sure if small town Wisconsin matters to anybody outside of the state. With that being said, I could relate to it...some what, and the simplicity of it all drew me in. The entire cast was made up of local theater actors. None of them seem like it. They all look like pros who have been in the film business for years. Another driving success of "Baraboo". For some of it's failures: I don't mind making statements about the horrors of war (because war is horrifying), but randomly connecting everybody in the plot to war deaths made my eyes roll. That, and the cinematography felt a little off to me, but I have been assured it was the theater's projection system. Otherwise, it was shot in HD beautifully, and although the dissolve effect is a bit overused, there is some brilliant uses of it. Overall, a solid flick on a part of society that I don't really care about... and I came from it.