Baran Reviews

• Jun 28, 2016

Baran is one of the single most human films I've ever seen. The story of an aimless young man and a hidden young woman on opposites sides of a refugee imposition is stunningly elegant, both in visuals and drama. The setting, a beautifully overcast construction site, reminds us that when we are focused are building instead of destruction, our humanity can be given room to empathize. Funny, earnest, curious, sweet, and wonderful, it pushes us to find purpose in the care of another.

• Jun 13, 2015

In a world of poverty, pain, and confusion, something unspeakably beautiful happens. The imagery sticks with you a long time.

• Oct 01, 2014

A beautiful love-story told through chilling rainstorms, rising steam, and harrowing self-sacrifice. Majidi uses the medium of cinema to tell you a love-poem. Rich and beautiful, even amidst the grit of its street fights, cement, and poverty.

• May 17, 2014

Yet another masterpiece by Majid Majidi. The best way to enjoy this movie is don't read any reviews, synopsis or watch the trailer. Just indulge yourself in this most humorous; yet touching movie from award winning director.

• Mar 10, 2014

Once again the great Iranian storyteller Majid Majidi touches our hearts with a look at the beauty of his country and life among its working poor. And once again he teaches a lesson about an unfamiliar culture using poignant personal stories and liberal lacings of humor. This time, however, his tale is especially timely, focusing on the plight of displaced illegal Afghani workers in Iran. (The movie was made before 9/11/01, so, presumably, the Afghanis' plight is even worse now.)If you've not yet discovered Majidi's movies on DVD, I recommend the three I've seen--this one, along with "Children of Heaven" and "The Color of Paradise."

• Dec 19, 2013

I have seen a couple of movies from there and both were very good, as was this one. It has characters your heart just bleeds for.

• Aug 28, 2013

A magnificent movie on humaneness of a young boy.

A magnificent movie on humaneness of a young boy.

• Jul 14, 2013